HAL - cheap nylon "luggage"

sprinkles

Hi All,

I've searched and not found any threads about this. Question - Has anyone every used the cheap HAL nylon luggage (sold on-board gift shop), the cheap, very light, foldable regulation carry-on size - to stuff with clothes and CHECK on a flight? If so - how well did it handle?

I don't want to bore you with all the details, but I have one of these that I used just to carry off some heavy - expensive souvenirs - just out to my car at the port. Now I am considering putting it in the bottom of my suitcase and using it to get home from Germany as a possible second checked bag allowance (up to 50-lps).

For those who really want to know, I am going on a bus tour around Germany AFTER my cruise, the bus tour - only allows one suitcase and no -carry-ons. Just wondering if anyone has every used one of these - I don't care what it looks like when I get it home (thinking of putting clothes in plastic garbage bag inside this bag, then maybe using tape or luggage straps to secure around it.

Thanks,

Tammy

When we did land tours in Europe we found 22" wheeled suitcases worked well for us. There was plenty of room for our stuff and was still small enough for us to lift if needed. We had suitcases that would expand with zippers if we'd needed for souvenirs. I used a nylon purse (with a reinforced strap) that was large enough to double as a daybag for camera, bottle of water, and tour books.

Triple A carries a good variety of purses with the safety straps and some are even RFID capable.

Hi All,

I've searched and not found any threads about this. Question - Has anyone every used the cheap HAL nylon luggage (sold on-board gift shop), the cheap, very light, foldable regulation carry-on size - to stuff with clothes and CHECK on a flight? If so - how well did it handle?

I don't want to bore you with all the details, but I have one of these that I used just to carry off some heavy - expensive souvenirs - just out to my car at the port. Now I am considering putting it in the bottom of my suitcase and using it to get home from Germany as a possible second checked bag allowance (up to 50-lps).

Thanks,

Tammy

We bought one of the cheap foldable HAL carry-ons several years ago to avoid paying excess weight charges on our flight home. It served us well and has been used as a carry on by both us and our son. Sounds like you have an excellent idea.;)

I did get one of those "cheap bags" when we had too much stuff one time. It made the trip home just fine and is still downstairs. - LOL.

The wheels make it bulky to pack but otherwise, it has worked on a couple of trips for us. I agree with the poster about the alternate luggage for a road trip though.

Another positive comment here - a number of cruises ago we made too many purchases (oh, like that's never happened to you!) and needed another bag to bring things home, so we bought the expandable nylon rolling carry-on and checked it with our other luggage. It worked perfectly! Since then we've taken it on a couple of road trips, used it to store out of season clothing, and our son even used it (once only!) to bring our cat to the vet.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

As long as it fits in an airline luggage sizing cage... you should be fine.

Personally I got myself a regulation sized carry-on hard case. This way I could transport my San Francisco fortune cookies with minimal crushing. Do you plan to purchase any souveniors that may be fragile?

A no carry-on bus tour? They must allow purses and camera bags. My camera bag is a backpack that I put on my lap. I don't think tours check the size of your purse, but I know some bus overhead storage is something like 3 to 6 inches. Thus... I keep everything on my lap or under the seat.

Edited by xlxo

I bought one of those $19.99 HAL duffel bags on the ship. Since I did my Christmas shopping in Italy and Spain, it was handy to bring stuff home. It held up well and will be used again. I was packed to the max for that cruise, so absolutely needed to purchase one onboard.:)

We've had one since 1994, and it's held up surprisingly well. Of course, 1994's cheap bag might be better than 2015's cheap bag. Also check eBags. You'll find a lot of customer reviews for collapsible bags. Try searching on the word "folding" and refining your search from there.

Edited by POA1

We've had one since 1994, and it's held up surprisingly well. Of course, 1994's cheap bag might be better than 2015's cheap bag. Also check eBags. You'll find a lot of customer reviews for collapsible bags. Try searching on the word "folding" and refining your search from there.

good point. Our NCL bag is probably over 10 years old and the HAL bag? I'm guessing at least 5 years old. They look the same in the shops though.

They are a decent bag if you have surplus stuff, but for a land tour, whatever where I knew I needed something, I doubt it would be my bag of choice.

There are much better designed bags out there. I wouldn't want live out of this one, but it certainly did the trick.

Edited by kazu

I bought the NCL equivalent in January when my small rolling duffel disintegrated on the flight to Miami. Two more cruises and 5 checked bag flights later, it is still going strong.

Incidentally, I ALWAYS buy the cheapest lightweight luggage (I have back issues), usually rolling duffels, that will do the job. It has been my experience, that no matter how expensive the lightweight luggage, usually after 3 cruises and 6 checked bag fights it is ready for the dumpster. And yes, I always carry strapping tape, just in case.

OK - Guess I will go into the gory details-lol ( since I can't tell if anyone used their HAL bags for a Checked bag and I am talking about the carry-on size one - no wheel's), since there seems to be more interested experienced travelers willing to help me here.

OK - so this is the deal. Going on a TA from FL to Southampton (Flights to Fll I have a two checked bag 70 lbs each limit). Staying in London for two nights then flying from LHR to Frankfurt (that flight is a hitch - one 50lbs suitcase and one carry-on - carry-on limit of 18lbs). Bus tour around Germany - allowed one 50 lbs suitcase and a carry-on no larger then a backpack. Flight home from Germany allowed two 50lbs suitcases and one carry-on no heavier then 18 lbs .

I have only taken one bus tour before, around China, but that was not part of a cruise (well, little one on the Yangtzee) and we were allowed our rolling carry-on. Also, before you judge, yes I plan to shop - ALOT in Germany (my Mother was born there and I have lost her as well as my Grandparents in the last few years - so this is kind of a special trip for me) as well as Ireland and Scotland. Also, this is my first cruise SOLO (without DH or anybody), so I would like to be able to "dress" as I normally would (I have fixed dinning for the first time in a very long time) on the cruise.

OK, so judging aside, this is my current plan. One large suitcase and my beloved rolling carry-on with the HAL bag inside my big suitcase. When flying from London, stuff the rolling carry-on with unnecessary cruise clothes and either keep that under the 18lbs limit or have to pay overweight fees. Then when I land in London, storing that rolling carry-on at Frankfurt left luggage service. Take only the large suitcase (that will hold a lot - may get over the 50lbs for Globus, but guess I can deal with that when I get there - hopefully tipping the luggage porters and bus drivers well will suffice (any of you experienced bus tour people have thoughts on this?). Then at the end of the bus trip, end up at the airport retrieving my rolling carry-on and re-packing everything (probably on the sidewalk - unless I have time to go to the airport and retrieve my bag the night before).

When I say re-packing - taking the cruise clothes out of the rolling carry-on and stuffing with more clothes into the HAL BAG and making it a checked bag (keeping the original suitcase below the 50lb, but adding heavy things like chocolate and cosmetics that cannot be purchased here) Then camera, valuables, fragile things, etc go into the rolling carry-on for the flight home. WHEW - like I asked please don't judge.

My only other option is to forget the rolling carry-on entirely and take two suitcases. Same cost for rolling carry-on or regular suitcase storage at Frankfurt airport - but I would have to pay an additional 75 euros for a second suitcase for the flight from London to Frank. Also, for you savvy travelers and shoppers - expanding the rolling carry-on and stuffing it to check it and using the HAL bag for my hand-carry - not an option, when I get to San Francisco, my last plane flight is on a tiny prop-job to Oregon that will definitely take my hand-luggage and throw into the hull. I've got a headache - so back to my original question if you're still reading.

How does the HAL nylon (large carry-on - no wheels, just fabric handles) stand up to being a checked bag? I know - I know, if this is the worst of my troubles, I'm a lucky person. But come on ladies - I know someone out there can understand that I will be shopping in Europe with DH safe at home with no way to stop me :)

Thanks,

Tammy

I bought the NCL equivalent in January when my small rolling duffel disintegrated on the flight to Miami. Two more cruises and 5 checked bag flights later, it is still going strong.

Incidentally, I ALWAYS buy the cheapest lightweight luggage (I have back issues), usually rolling duffels, that will do the job. It has been my experience, that no matter how expensive the lightweight luggage, usually after 3 cruises and 6 checked bag fights it is ready for the dumpster. And yes, I always carry strapping tape, just in case.

Thanks Mame, you must have posted while I was typing out the "gory details" above. I am really liking this current plan unless someone tells me - they've done it and ended up with all their clothes flying around the baggage carousel.

Tammy

You may want to look into shipping one of the big suitcases home directly from the ship and be done with it. Send home all the stuff you wanted only for the ship. Plan ahead that most of the clothes you keep behind go with each other so you can mix and match to make more outfits.

For the land tour ,,.,.,. remember you won't be seeing the people you care about more than a few days so if you repeat your wardrobe every few days it will look totally new for the folks seeing it then. I bought some soap from Magellan made especially for washing out in the sink and could wash anything I needed badly. :) (like undies) ;)

The above are just some things we've found useful - we spent 3 weeks on our own touring England, Scotland, Amsterdam & Paris by train.

It should be fine to serve your purposes.

I have a formless, medium size duffle by CAIO which is similar material and not particularly costly. A number of times I packed it in my checked suitcase going to our cruise but used it for non-fragile or valuable articles coming home to give me room for articles we had purchased while away. It has stood up amazingly well.

OK - Guess I will go into the gory details-lol ( since I can't tell if anyone used their HAL bags for a Checked bag and I am talking about the carry-on size one - no wheel's), since there seems to be more interested experienced travelers willing to help me here.

OK - so this is the deal. Going on a TA from FL to Southampton (Flights to Fll I have a two checked bag 70 lbs each limit). Staying in London for two nights then flying from LHR to Frankfurt (that flight is a hitch - one 50lbs suitcase and one carry-on - carry-on limit of 18lbs). Bus tour around Germany - allowed one 50 lbs suitcase and a carry-on no larger then a backpack. Flight home from Germany allowed two 50lbs suitcases and one carry-on no heavier then 18 lbs .

I have only taken one bus tour before, around China, but that was not part of a cruise (well, little one on the Yangtzee) and we were allowed our rolling carry-on. Also, before you judge, yes I plan to shop - ALOT in Germany (my Mother was born there and I have lost her as well as my Grandparents in the last few years - so this is kind of a special trip for me) as well as Ireland and Scotland. Also, this is my first cruise SOLO (without DH or anybody), so I would like to be able to "dress" as I normally would (I have fixed dinning for the first time in a very long time) on the cruise.

OK, so judging aside, this is my current plan. One large suitcase and my beloved rolling carry-on with the HAL bag inside my big suitcase. When flying from London, stuff the rolling carry-on with unnecessary cruise clothes and either keep that under the 18lbs limit or have to pay overweight fees. Then when I land in London, storing that rolling carry-on at Frankfurt left luggage service. Take only the large suitcase (that will hold a lot - may get over the 50lbs for Globus, but guess I can deal with that when I get there - hopefully tipping the luggage porters and bus drivers well will suffice (any of you experienced bus tour people have thoughts on this?). Then at the end of the bus trip, end up at the airport retrieving my rolling carry-on and re-packing everything (probably on the sidewalk - unless I have time to go to the airport and retrieve my bag the night before).

When I say re-packing - taking the cruise clothes out of the rolling carry-on and stuffing with more clothes into the HAL BAG and making it a checked bag (keeping the original suitcase below the 50lb, but adding heavy things like chocolate and cosmetics that cannot be purchased here) Then camera, valuables, fragile things, etc go into the rolling carry-on for the flight home. WHEW - like I asked please don't judge.

My only other option is to forget the rolling carry-on entirely and take two suitcases. Same cost for rolling carry-on or regular suitcase storage at Frankfurt airport - but I would have to pay an additional 75 euros for a second suitcase for the flight from London to Frank. Also, for you savvy travelers and shoppers - expanding the rolling carry-on and stuffing it to check it and using the HAL bag for my hand-carry - not an option, when I get to San Francisco, my last plane flight is on a tiny prop-job to Oregon that will definitely take my hand-luggage and throw into the hull. I've got a headache - so back to my original question if you're still reading.

How does the HAL nylon (large carry-on - no wheels, just fabric handles) stand up to being a checked bag? I know - I know, if this is the worst of my troubles, I'm a lucky person. But come on ladies - I know someone out there can understand that I will be shopping in Europe with DH safe at home with no way to stop me :)

Thanks,

Tammy

I thought I was clear, sorry. Mine were all used as check ins - not carry ons.

I haven't had the ones without wheels but I thing they are the same.

As I said, mine held up well, better than one of my suitcases.

Big surprise.

We had to buy another of the fold up type after our Incan Empires cruise this year we already had one with us. Both bags were used as checked luggage on the flights from USA to Australia and still look in perfect condition. In fact our first one has been on several flights all ok. We find they are ideal for a spare as fold up enough to go in the suitcase going to the cruise.

We checked our HAL bag, at least once, possibly twice. As I mentioned, ours is an earlier model. It has sewn seems. I don't know if I would count on it to be super durable, but it held up fine.

Edited by POA1