new closed loop cruise rules?

Cookson

You are good, however your wife might need her marriage license to show why name on ID doesn't match birth certificate.

I never needed one. Only for our honeymoon because I was 20 and he was 21. Needed to prove we were married in order to be allowed on. That was over 10 years ago, but I don't think that has changed.

After that, I never brought my marriage certificate, just the birth certificate and ID. I have a passport now, but I still don't think it is needed unless you are underage.

Edited by RTRMom

You are good, however your wife might need her marriage license to show why name on ID doesn't match birth certificate.

Before I got smart and travel with a passport I was never asked for a marriage license...how many peeps even know where their marriage certificate is after 40 years. As long as your credit card is in the name you booked the cruise line turns a blind eye to all the other names that may be on your docs like birth certificates and drivers license. Those are in my maiden name and I book cruises in my married name if I am traveling with my spouse.

Before I got smart and travel with a passport I was never asked for a marriage license...how many peeps even know where their marriage certificate is after 40 years. As long as your credit card is in the name you booked the cruise line turns a blind eye to all the other names that may be on your docs like birth certificates and drivers license. Those are in my maiden name and I book cruises in my married name if I am traveling with my spouse.

So people who travel without a passport are dumb?:eek:

Names on Travel Documentation

It is important that the guest’s full name on the cruise and airline tickets be the same as the guest’s non-expired government-issued photo ID they plan to use for travel identification. In the event of a different name on the cruise/airline ticket and the guest’s photo ID as a result of a marriage, divorce or a legal name change, documentation supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate, marriage license or legal name change court document. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

Note: For newly married or soon-to-be married brides, we strongly recommend that if the non-expired government-issued photo ID is in the maiden name, the cruise booking be made in the maiden name (do not include the married name); If the reservation was made in the married name, but the non-expired government-issued photo ID is in the maiden name, documentation supporting this change is required (at embarkation), such as a marriage certificate or marriage license. Failure to bring documentation bridging the name differences could result in denied boarding.

Since our reservation systems do not accept middle names, the middle name must be included during the Check-In process.

You may not be asked for it but I would not risk missing a cruise because I didn't have the marriage license.

I never needed one. Only for our honeymoon because I was 20 and he was 21. Needed to prove we were married in order to be allowed on. That was over 10 years ago, but I don't think that has changed.

After that, I never brought my marriage certificate, just the birth certificate and ID. I have a passport now, but I still don't think it is needed unless you are underage.

I HAVE been asked for my marriage certificate and was very glad that I always carry it.

I agree with the other poster, if traveling with a BC and DL a married woman should take a copy of her ML.

I don't understand why a marriage license would be needed when you have to show proof of your marriage when you change your name on your driver's license. And that is a government issued document. If I remember correctly, when DW got her passport, she didn't even need to send in our marriage license. They just needed her birth certificate and put in her married name on the application.

Boggles my mind that some have said they had to show theirs while the majority say they never had to. Why can't Carnival/TSA do the same thing all of the time.

Edited by RWolver672

The officials in the terminal are not TSA.

In fact, not all airports even utilize the services provided by the TSA and instead elect to use private security companies.

Correct, TSA is not in cruise terminals. However, TSA is in every airport. In a handful of airports, the screeners are TSA contractors.

Now back to the OP's original question. It's is recommended by Carnival that you have your marriage license along with your BC and ID.

You will find that it's a much simpler process to have a passport.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

Edited by Cruzin2paradise09

I HAVE been asked for my marriage certificate and was very glad that I always carry it.

I agree with the other poster, if traveling with a BC and DL a married woman should take a copy of her ML.

That is crazy, another reason why a passport is just much easier.

Correct, TSA is not in cruise terminals. However, TSA is in every airport. In a handful of airports, the screeners are TSA contractors.

Although TSA regulates the operation for these private screening companies, they are not TSA employees. As per the FAQ, "once an airport joins SPP, Federal screening positions are abolished."

If a restaurant is owned and operated by Landry's but happens to be on Walt Disney World property, are they Disney Cast Members or Landry's servers? The answer is simple - the one writing the paycheck (Landry's). If those carrying out the screening are not employed by the TSA, then they don't work for the TSA.

Edited by Pixelate

I don't understand why a marriage license would be needed when you have to show proof of your marriage when you change your name on your driver's license. And that is a government issued document. If I remember correctly, when DW got her passport, she didn't even need to send in our marriage license. They just needed her birth certificate and put in her married name on the application.

You need the marriage license because that is what links the two documents. It is still very easy to get a copy of a birth certificate. I recently got one for my mother. I did everything on line and while I had to "certify" that I was her daughter I could have been anyone. Mom's drivers license has her middle name NOT her maiden name. So if she were using BC and DL to cruise she would need it to link the two documents.

When I got my passport I had to have my marriage license. I know this because I went to apply for my passport at the post office (long enough ago that they didn't take appointments) and did not have my marriage license. Fortunately, the courthouse where we got married was next door. I don't remember if I had to send it off but I do know I needed a copy.

Boggles my mind that some have said they had to show theirs while the majority say they never had to. Why can't Carnival/TSA do the same thing all of the time.

While I agree that Carnival/TSA/Port employees should have standardize policy and follow it. I don't see it happening. Also as political situations change, rules often are then followed. That is why I get frustrated when folks post questions about not following the rules. My standard answer is something along the lines of "it only matter is they ask you"

Drivers license will show that change. You need the marriage license to change your name.

No need to bring the document-- unless your drivers license is in your maiden name and you made the reservation in a married name

I never needed one. Only for our honeymoon because I was 20 and he was 21. Needed to prove we were married in order to be allowed on. That was over 10 years ago, but I don't think that has changed. .

you needed a marriage certificate because you were under 21 and he was only 21. Not because your name was different from your birth certificate

Under 21 can not sail in a cabin unless someone in the cabin is 25 or over or you are married.

Now back to the OP's original question. It's is recommended by Carnival that you have your marriage license along with your BC and ID.

You will find that it's a much simpler process to have a passport.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

That is crazy, another reason why a passport is just much easier.

This makes me laugh every time I read it. We have cruised 10 times with out a passport and 2 times with. I have yet to find it to be easier or simpler with a passport over the DL and BC....but then I never had an issue with just our BC and DL :rolleyes:. I did witness one time when we were traveling as a family of 4 with our BC and DL that the couple in front of us with passports took 2x as long as we did to get through customs....

This makes me laugh every time I read it. We have cruised 10 times with out a passport and 2 times with. I have yet to find it to be easier or simpler with a passport over the DL and BC....but then I never had an issue with just our BC and DL :rolleyes:. I did witness one time when we were traveling as a family of 4 with our BC and DL that the couple in front of us with passports took 2x as long as we did to get through customs....

It does me too. It is simply wrong, it is not more of a hassle.

The one time I've seen a difference was in Charleston, where those on the shuttle bus to the port who had passports had to produce them before being allowed to continue, while those of us with BCs didn't have to do anything. :D

you needed a marriage certificate because you were under 21 and he was only 21. Not because your name was different from your birth certificate

Under 21 can not sail in a cabin unless someone in the cabin is 25 or over or you are married.

I know. ;) I said it was because I was underage.