What is the best entertainment you have seen on any cruise?

pcsunlover

A couple of years ago we were on the Sun Princess and the shows were pretty ordinary.

One of the passengers was an Elvis impersonator and was on board for a holiday, after about a week so many people had spoken to him at the pool and some asked him to do a show. At first I don't think Princess were too impressed with that idea. Well people kept on asking and eventually he was allowed to perform one afternoon. Wow what a show, he was fantastic and was the best I have seen on heaps of cruises.

He said he was doing a club in Asia somewhere, Princess should have booked him on the spot!

Cheers

Wow, we must really be missing the boat (pun intended) on the cruises we've taken. I haven't seen any of the acts mentioned so far. We always cruise in the Caribbean during the spring break season (March, early April). The ships are usually sold out, so you would think they would put some of this great entertainment on some of their most popular itineraries.

I have always enjoyed the great Production Shows in the Universe Lounge, on Coral Princess, fantastic performances for a relatively small ship, when asked why I enjoy the ship, the Lounge is always at the top of the list.

It is too d--- bad that Island Princess will no longer be able to carry the same shows, after she has been 'defaced' by the desecration of her Universe Lounge!

john

IMHO, On the Bayou is the best production show Princess does. We are taking Island next month and plan on seeing it twice, as we will never book Island after she adds all those cabins in what now is a public space.

For a comedian, Kevin Hughes.

We've thought about trying one of them just for that reason. But I've heard so much about how they feel more like a floating mall/resort than a ship. I don't want to lose that open air relaxing feeling we enjoy during the days outside on the Princess ships.

We were hesitant for the same reason but there are many places were you can relax with the sea. :) You would have to go and see for yourself.

Edited by janetz

What kind of act are they, and what ship?

They bill themselves as "the black street boyz" - very physical comedians plus they PULL the audience into the act (literally).

Their website shows them on the Caribbean Princess most of last year and the Emerald in December last year. No 2015 dates have been added.

Here is a link to a You Tube video:

Grand Princess inaugural cruise had a pair of comedy adagio dancers who are still probably the best I've ever seen.

Loved the Alfredo Brothers (jugglers) on the old Premiere ships - and Tommy Treadway (comedian/guitar) as well. I still don't know how he remembered the name of every person who walked into that lounge every night, but he did!

Production shows are not our thing anymore, but I'm even more disappointed with some of the entertainment in the smaller lounges (Wheelhouse for example). For my sweet-natured husband to make the comment that he wanted to tell the lead singer that he liked "some" of the notes she was singing, it had to be pretty bad (and yes, she was). When you have to leave a lounge due to off pitch singing, that's not good! :cool:

They bill themselves as "the black street boyz" - very physical comedians plus they PULL the audience into the act (literally).

Their website shows them on the Caribbean Princess most of last year and the Emerald in December last year. No 2015 dates have been added.

Here is a link to a You Tube video:

That's the kind of entertainment that we would enjoy. I'm disappointed that we sailed twice in 2014 and never saw them.

Just off the Crown Monday...best comedian ever...Oscar Carlos or Carlos Oscar...he is soooo funny. Truly a great act....don't miss it. New material..doesn't talk about the shower size, toilet flushing, tons of food...he had unique, real life comedy.

I totally agree with you. Carlos Oscar is the best.

We were lucky to have him twice.(on Crown and Grand). He is the funniest comedian we ever seen.

I love Princess, but not for the entertainment. I walk around a little and then go to bed and read. DH goes to the shows, but doesn't enjoy them much. Just something to do.

I had not gone to any shows in years till we sailed on Oasis. Wow!

The Aqua Theater, Ice Skating, Hairspray......worth staying up for.

I'm looking forward to the Royal in March, for the food, the trivia, the Piazza and being on the ocean. Hopefully DH will enjoy the entertainment more than in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our very first cruise ever, on the old Carnival Festivale out of San Juan, on March 21, 1989 we sat in the front row and saw and heard Duke Daniels. Yep, from the Platters and he sang When Smoke Gets in Your Eyes and it was incredible!.

Other notables were the Osmon Brothers on a RCL cruise and a vocal instrumental group called Force Five, who were on the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston in February 2012.

Other notables would include Uber Rossi, who is currently on the Grand.

Great memories.

I used to like the old dedicated movie theater on the old Regal. I always go to the afternoon movies in the Princess theater on sea days (when they have them.) I'm afraid I am now pretty sick of all the production shows, having seen them multiple times.

I used to like the old dedicated movie theater on the old Regal. I always go to the afternoon movies in the Princess theater on sea days (when they have them.) I'm afraid I am now pretty sick of all the production shows, having seen them multiple times.

Yes, me too. It stinks when the same show is used for 2 or 3 years. Although I can understand why they do it, when you've already seen the production show on a previous year's sailing it limits your entertainment options even more.

What was even more pathetic was the cruise director introducing the show using the exact lame joke/story that she used the previous year! :rolleyes:

Elements on the older NCL ships - entertaining and thought-provoking as well.

'Fountains' in the crew show is great fun as well.

I saw "Elements" on the NCL Star back in 2011. I agree, the mix of dance, magic and aerialists took my breath away. Never seen anything like it before or since.

There was a guitarist we saw once on Princess, can't remember the cruise, and at the end of the show he had a rousing standing ovation. Word got around the ship, and the following night he played to a packed house, and received another Standing Ovation that must have lasted 10-minutes.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the International Crew show. We always make a point of seeing this. Loved assistant CD Corey on the Grand...he does a fabulous acrobat act.

I wouldn't put any of the International Crew shows we've seen in the "best" category.

Unless they are different on Princess (as I said, we've not been on Princess, yet), all the shows (well, we've seen 3) we've seen on HAL were, at best, comparable to an elementary school's 2nd grade production. I recall only one singer in one of the shows who had any talent or stage presence.

Now, DCL did do a crew talent show on one of our cruises (typically only done on the long cruises) and it was pretty good.

Edited by Shmoo here

We greatly enjoy Carlos Oscar. He's always funny! We look forward to all the comedians, but are too often disappointed. :rolleyes:

We saw a solo violinist a couple of years ago who was outstanding. He was a very personable young man who had been playing since he was 4 years old. Unfortunately we only saw him on one cruise and I can't remember his name. Anyone know who I'm talking about? :confused:

We also usually attend the production shows even though we have seen them numerous times. One thing about having seen them all, if we can't find a seat we just leave. :eek: I also like the short acts they present in the Piazza.

Without doubt the best entertainer we have experienced on a Princess ship was David Moore - Scottish (I think) piano player and comic. Great at both and a great entertainer - he built up a great band of followers on our cruise 12 months ago.:)