What time is reasonable to book?

sunshade11

A couple of years ago we did it the other way---our cruise ended in Fort Lauderdale and we flew out of Miami. We caught an Air Canada flight at 12:30 and we had lots of time. However, last year we flew home from Fort Lauderdale and we barely made our 2:30 flight, not because of not having enough time, but because of the lengthy lines at the airport in Fort Lauderdale. I don't know what airline you are flying with but our Air Canada experience in Fort Lauderdale was less than stellar--this year we are ending in FL but flying from Miami on a 1:00 flight which should be lots of time.

I think not earlier than Noon - maybe even not earlier than 1. Depends on how stressed out you want to be disembarkation day. You will need to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure. saturdays and sundays both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale airports are zoo scenes. In addition you will need to get through customs at the pier and then get to your transportation to Ft. Lauderdale. Who knows what traffic will be like.

We flew out of ft. Lauderdale on a Sunday last year and we couldn't even find a seat near our gate.

Better to err on the side of caution and give your self extra time.

Docked in Miami last Sunday. Got off the ship at 8:50. Through customs in 10 minutes. Booked SAS shuttle to go from Miami to Ft a lauderdale. They picked us up at 9:10 & we arrived at FLL at 9:55.

There were very long lines at security; 5 ships in Miami & 5 at Port Everglade.

We have Global entry so were able to bypass the long lines & were at our gate at 10:15. Would not attempt a flight before noon- & if you have to deal with the long lines at security that could be cutting close.

I also think noon at the absolute earliest. A lot depends on whether you have Global Entry or United Premier or some other way to speed through the lines. You might also want to check the port schedule to see how many other ships are arriving that day, and their size. That can really affect the timing.

I would also agree with others that early afternoon would give you enough time. You don't want to impair your cruise by worrying if you're going to make your plane at the end of it. Spring break could factor into the airport crowds and make it difficult for you. They are staggered in the US, so it's not a specific week that you can plan ahead to avoid.

Will be sailing on Reflection with it returning to Miami on the 21st of March. Will be flying home to Canada from Fort Lauderdale. What is the earliest time that we should consider booking flights?

Anymore, as soon as possible. Jump on the early (discount fares allocated) as my experience is they only go up from there. Your plan makes sense.

Edited by blindrid