My Carnival Valor Southern Caribbean review!! With 2 days in Old San Juan !

PS1818

At 11 am I was very interested in how the whole smuggling booze thing worked on the ship. ****notice**** I used Rum Runners to smuggle booze onto the ship. If you have a problem with that...save your breath. I honestly don't care. To set your mind at ease I still purchased plenty of drinks. And so did everyone else on the ship. Trust me when I tell you that Carnival will not go broke from people smuggling booze. I used to be a manager at a restaurant and I know how much it costs and I know how much it's marked up. They know people smuggle booze and if they were that worried about it they would actually do something about it. Like not have there liquor check in table so far away from the xray scanner. Moving on...

Our plan was to see if our booze made it on and if it didn't we were going to buy some at CVS and try to smuggle it the old fashioned way (after it being tagged we would put it in our back pack and just walk on past the check in table that is literally WAY out of sight of the scanner. And that check in table is tucked away in a little corner right before you step onto the ship. You wouldn't hardly notice it was there if you weren't looking for it). So we were hoping our room was ready and our luggage was there so we could know if our booze made it on or not.

Awesome I love it! I love my Rum Runners they are the best invention. I am bringing more than ever this year when we sail the Valor in March. I am thinking of making green Jell-O shots for St. Patty's Day.

We are doing the Segway tour also - thanks for the pics it looks great.

Klink

Haha great idea!! Have fun on the segways!

So it's basically collapsible water bottles? Sorry. Can't see the picture

Yes... They are plastic containers that collapse when empty. They are well sealed so it's unlikely they will leak and they have no metal so they're difficult to detect. The colored one I bought at the dollar store to see how it would hold up. It leaked a bit so I'm glad it was in a zip lock.

I have one word to say More!! LOL

No worries about the smuggling booze, I have done it many times in the past (prior to the Cheers program) and never got caught and didn't use what you used. Its nice having liquor in the room but I did it because my daughter was 18, 19,20 and I wanted her to have her jack daniels, anyways, there is nothing wrong with her having drinks she isn't driving and the drinking age was 18 for me so her rights have been taken away from her as they changed the legal drinking age to 21 which I think sucks basically (if you can go to war at the age of 18 and buy tobacco....you get the point). I am also going to say for those of you who will have comments about this SAVE YOUR BREATH!! :)

More review please.

I think it would be very easy to smuggle on this cruise without rum runners. We left the ship with an empty carry on suitcase and went to cvs. We filled it with bottles of water and pop. When we went back thru security they didn't even open it. It could have been filled with beer and bottles of vodka. No judgements here. :)

Ohhhhh. See I thought she meant the cemetery. I'm from New Orleans so cemetery visiting isn't weird to me, I've even had school trio's to them lol and I was curious why she didn't want to go. :p

We really like pretty old cemeteries. I've never been but my husband loves the ones in New Orleans.

My first impression of the ship itself was that I thought it was very pretty. From the images I had seen from other reviews and other places on the internet I was prepared to not like it. In fact we chose this cruise based solely on the itinerary. We decided we wouldn't worry too much about the ship because we would be so busy with all the ports. We actually loved the ship. Yes, it is older and it may be time for a refurb but it was very clean, pretty, and easy to navigate. The thing I liked better about the Valor over the Epic was that it felt much more like a ship. The Epic was so big and so “closed” that you didn't even feel like you were on the ocean. We also liked the design of the cabin much better than the Epic. The cabins on the Epic are in a wave like design which makes the room feel really small. And there was so much more counter space and shelving in the bathroom. You can see in one of the photos that I have a hanging shoe rack to use as storage and organization for small things. This was completely necessary on the Epic but definitely not needed on the Valor. The bed was large and comfortable. Maybe a little too much on the firm side for me but I realize that is totally a preference thing. The bedding was comfy, the pillows were great, and the shower was AMAZING!! There was really good lighting as well.

Before unpacking

cruise20151470.jpg

cruise20151468.jpg

cruise20151471.jpg

cruise20151472.jpg

cruise20151473.jpg

Looking forward to your review! Leaving on the Valor on Feb 22nd with my mom! This is helping to ease the wait. So excited! BTW loooove rum runners! Greatest invention ever haha :)

They are a great investment! Have a great cruise!!

So the next few posts of this review will have two sections, photos of the ship, and photos of food and drinks. I am doing it this way because I did take a lot of pics of food but I don't remember when we ate certain things. So I will post a photo of food and what it was and whether or not we liked it. So it may not be in chronological order.

Starting with the ship...

Water slide

cruise20151510.jpg

Serenity whirl pool

cruise20151508.jpg

Playing with my camera settings

cruise%202015%201%201416%20640x480.jpg

Washington dining room

cruise%202015%201%201233%20640x480.jpg

Rosie's

cruise20151515.jpg

Whale tail and mini golf

cruise%202015%201%201430%20480x640.jpg

cruise%202015%201%201451%20640x480.jpg

Paris Hot club....a note about this space- I really liked this place, it was very pretty and comfortable but you can smoke in there. So it smelled pretty bad.

cruise20151708.jpg

Rosie's Buffet

cruise20151477.jpg

cruise20151486.jpg

These maps were at all of the elevators

cruise20151487.jpg

cruise20151485.jpg

I finally just got caught up with your review. I have to tell you, I am really loving it and your pictures. The pictures you got from the interior of Valor are spectacular. I'm still practicing on the interior pictures. LOL!!! I loved the part about your smuggling and I see nothing wrong with it. :D

This was my very first drink on the Valor-The Fun Ship Special. It was yummy!!

cruise20151479.jpg

This is a Corona and (I think) A Kiss on the lips?? Not positive but I know it was good.

cruise20151746.jpg

Pomegranate Lemonade-my second favorite

cruise20151728.jpg

I took that drink everywhere...

cruise20151731.jpg

cruise20151730.jpg

This was my own concoction.... Raspberry Lemonade with a shot of Malibu rum, ½ shot of Triple Sec, and a shot of Pinnacle whipped cream vodka. I like to call it “Relax”.

cruise20151734.jpg

And of course my favorite...The Raspberry Mojito...

cruise20201520120943.jpg

The Miami Vice. This was very good as well.

cruise20151700.jpg

I also drank Bud light but I am sure everyone knows what that looks like. The drinks on Carnival were MUCH better than NCL. During the breakfast buffet they always had coffee, juice, and milk available for free. During lunch they had lemonade and Iced tea. Coffee was always available. They even had POG. For those of you who are not lucky enough to know what POG is, it is a magical mixture of passion fruit, orange, and guava juices. It is very commonly served in Hawaii and its AMAZING!! It is really good as a mixer for drinks also.

Serenity

cruise20151505.jpg

I'm puzzled by this picture... can you help me out? Is that hottub new (since 2012)? What deck is this on? I don't remember a Serenity hottub from our previous cruise on the Valor... and I can't find that hottub on the deckplans.

I don't suppose you remember?