Questions about noise and flights

NanciEA

We are looking at booking on the PG and were wondering about noise from above on Deck 7. I did a search and the only thread was about the aft cabins. What about mid-ship where the cabins are below the pool and Le Grill?

Also, the cruise schedule says the ship docks at 7:30pm in Papeete on Friday night. Has anyone ever booked the 11:59pm Air Tahiti Nui flight on Friday instead of staying over until Saturday night? It seems like enough time to make the flight.

We are looking at booking on the PG and were wondering about noise from above on Deck 7. I did a search and the only thread was about the aft cabins. What about mid-ship where the cabins are below the pool and Le Grill?

Also, the cruise schedule says the ship docks at 7:30pm in Papeete on Friday night. Has anyone ever booked the 11:59pm Air Tahiti Nui flight on Friday instead of staying over until Saturday night? It seems like enough time to make the flight.

Last week, quite a few left the ship upon arrival in PPT for the flight that night. On Saturday morning another contingent left the ship around 5am:eek: for a 7:30ish flight. Funny thing about that group is the first night, in our cabin as well as a number of others, the alarm clock went off at 4:00am! We didn't set it but obviously the prior owners of our cabin had taken the early option and no one had cancelled out the 4am wake up call. And this after we went to bed around 1am as we arrived on the late evening flight just prior. We stayed with the group that ate breakfast and lunch on board on Saturday and went to the Intercontinental till 9:40pm pickup for our 11:59 wonder flight.:D

We were on 7 but a little farther back. Never heard any noise. I wouldn't think it would be noisy. That pool area isn't huge and at night mostly just a few people walking around.

We took the flight out the night before. You have to pay an air deviation fee plus a small fee for them to arrange the cab as I understand. We had dinner and then walked off an were at the airport quite quickly - like 20 minutes. We were at the airport for a couple hours. It was very busy both at check in and past security.

We were in cabin 734 for our cruise . I am an extreme light sleeper and with the time difference we awoke early and did hear the occasional noise from above plus some mornings the smell of bacon cooking We wanted mid ship because of less motion and would rebook the room again.

As you may have figured out from the above responses, it sort of depends on if you are a night-owl or an early riser. There is sometimes noise from early morning deck cleaning and chair rearranging, but not TOO bad. There is seldom a lot of noisy activity on deck 8 in the evening; maybe a LITTLE in La Palette in the aft. Nothing to worry too much about.

We generally book lower decks, but twice we have sailed on Deck 7; once midships and once in 767, which is in the aft. As you point out, midships cabins experience somewhat less motion.

Edited by MotuIslander

Yes, we have use the 11:59pm flight and it works out great, getting you into LAX in time to make connections to anywhere in the US and Canada along with Europe. We found a significant number of shipmates were on this flight also. PG will have taxis at the ready to take you to the airport, and you can't check in before 9pm so everything works out.

Thanks for all the responses. We are morning people and are usually up by 7:00am, so it seems like Deck 7 will be fine for us.

Regarding the Friday night flights, my DH and I both work and need to be home by Monday morning. We have to "leave paradise early" because we are not independently wealthy and must work to support our travel habit. Because we live in a smaller city in the Eastern time zone, we will not arrive home until very late on the night after our departure from Papeete. We not only have to connect through LAX in the morning, but also then either Chicago, Dallas or Atlanta, which needs another few hours for the connection. The flight from Papeete doesn't arrive at LAX until 11:15am PST, which is 2:15 in the east. Also, we've been stranded in LA before, not because the weather is bad there, but because of storms in the eastern US. Does that sound familiar?!

Thanks for all the responses. We are morning people and are usually up by 7:00am, so it seems like Deck 7 will be fine for us.

Regarding the Friday night flights, my DH and I both work and need to be home by Monday morning. We have to "leave paradise early" because we are not independently wealthy and must work to support our travel habit. Because we live in a smaller city in the Eastern time zone, we will not arrive home until very late on the night after our departure from Papeete. We not only have to connect through LAX in the morning, but also then either Chicago, Dallas or Atlanta, which needs another few hours for the connection. The flight from Papeete doesn't arrive at LAX until 11:15am PST, which is 2:15 in the east. Also, we've been stranded in LA before, not because the weather is bad there, but because of storms in the eastern US. Does that sound familiar?!

I think you are making a good choice. We just recently made the 11:59pm PPT departure on Air Tahiti Nui. Our flight arrived LAX a few minutes before 10:00am PST. Posted time was for 10:15am PST. Still, changing in LAX is terrible. Hope your weather is as good as ours was.

Regarding the Friday night flights, my DH and I both work and need to be home by Monday morning. We have to "leave paradise early" because we are not independently wealthy and must work to support our travel habit. Because we live in a smaller city in the Eastern time zone, we will not arrive home until very late on the night after our departure from Papeete.

We took the early Saturday morning flight back from PPT. Got into LA around 5:30pm; gave ourselves 5 hrs in LA; flew through Detroit (2+ hr layover there), then to CT. Landed around 10:30 Sunday morning and were home before noon. So you'll have most of Sunday to settle in/recover. Of course, that's assuming no travel disruptions like we've had in the east the past 2 days.

Also bear in mind that coming from the eastern U.S., you will be extra, special morning people on the Paul Gauguin! I like that aspect of the time change--we are often out on deck to see the sun rise, and to get that first coffee aft in La Palette.