Chair Hogs Rule

Scotchick

On our celebrity cruise, the staff put cards on chairs that had belongings and no people. Can't remember the exact verbiage, but basically.........this chair is currently unoccupied. After x amount of minutes, if still unoccupied, the belongings will be moved and may be claimed at the towel stand.

Why is this so hard for NCL? It is fair, equitable and takes care of an obvious problem.

On a side note: on those occasions where I have moved items that were obviously placed to hold a chair and the chair wasn't being used, if the person ever came back (which happened twice, both after HOURS of us sitting) I used the following response: "Your chair? That's interesting. The people that were leaving these seats BEFORE we sat said they weren't coming back and we were free to use them."

On several cruises my wife and her sister and I have wanted a table in the buffet. We were not able to find one because people had left items either on the table or chairs and had then gone to the line. I use a walker, and cannot stand for long. We have moved items to the floor and sat down with our trays. The waiters have found another place for the items. Yes, people get upset when they come back, but too bad. Dining tables are not storage areas.

Well, here is the other side of the coin. My husband uses a cane, so has difficulty carrying a plate of food and also looking for a place to sit while walking with cane. Therefore he puts a book at an empty place to save it while he gets his food. That way he has a definite place to go to while trying to carry his food. He is not using the table as a storage area. I think what you are doing is rude.

On our celebrity cruise, the staff put cards on chairs that had belongings and no people. Can't remember the exact verbiage, but basically.........this chair is currently unoccupied. After x amount of minutes, if still unoccupied, the belongings will be moved and may be claimed at the towel stand.

Why is this so hard for NCL? It is fair, equitable and takes care of an obvious problem.

Found this on an old thread. It was created by a cc'er not NCL.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=193401&d=1303923675

On a side note: on those occasions where I have moved items that were obviously placed to hold a chair and the chair wasn't being used, if the person ever came back (which happened twice, both after HOURS of us sitting) I used the following response: "Your chair? That's interesting. The people that were leaving these seats BEFORE we sat said they weren't coming back and we were free to use them."

When cruising we are not pool people, usually. Sometimes on port days when the ship is less crowded we relax by the pool.

Chair hogs are everywhere; our worst experience was at an all-inclusive in Cancun. We sat at a pool side table, watching and waiting for 2 lounge chairs around the pool. There were multiple lounge chairs empty except for the hotel towels. After about an hour we removed the two towels and returned them to the towel hut, made ourselves comfortable and sipped our cocktails. About two hours later a family arrived and asked if these were our loungers. We replied, 'yes they are, we have been here for about two hours'. They knew we had taken 'their' chairs, but what could they say??

I would not hesitate to do the same thing on a cruise, 'if' I knew the chairs had been unused for extended periods of time.

Well, here is the other side of the coin. My husband uses a cane, so has difficulty carrying a plate of food and also looking for a place to sit while walking with cane. Therefore he puts a book at an empty place to save it while he gets his food. That way he has a definite place to go to while trying to carry his food. He is not using the table as a storage area. I think what you are doing is rude.

And that, folks, is how it should be done at buffets. We do the same! Well, said.

I like to get up early, maybe catch a nice sunrise, then I wait on the upper deck to watch the parade of people rearranging the chairs by the pool, rotating them just so and depositing the towels or the paperback books. This is happening at 6:30 in the morning. Then no one in site for hours. I think then it is appropriate to remove everything and start over.

I like to get up early, maybe catch a nice sunrise, then I wait on the upper deck to watch the parade of people rearranging the chairs by the pool, rotating them just so and depositing the towels or the paperback books. This is happening at 6:30 in the morning. Then no one in site for hours. I think then it is appropriate to remove everything and start over.

Agreed. Like I said, I haven't sailed yet, but this seems ridiculous to me, that someone will place their things on a chair and be gone for hours at a time and think everything will be there when they return.

If your gone for over an hour, it's fair game in my eyes. I'm not really sure why this is so difficult for people to understand. And for those on the other side of the coin, that try to "reserve" chairs, I don't understand how you think it's okay. If you really think that's acceptable, then you are inconsiderate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never had a problem getting a chair no matter what time of the day I go on deck. If I see someone leaving the pool area I just ask if their chair is free and can I use it? Usually no problem. If I leave the pool area to do an activity or lunch I just all my stuff with me so someone else can have the chair. :)

Also I think it's very rude to move stuff from table in buffet. Very unlikely that some one has put their stuff down and gone to pool or shops. If there are no free table I just go to a large table with free seats and ask to sit down. Again no problem. What difference does it make to sit a table with strangers when traditional dinning you would be assigned with strangers anyway!

I've never had a problem getting a chair no matter what time of the day I go on deck. If I see someone leaving the pool area I just ask if their chair is free and can I use it? Usually no problem. If I leave the pool area to do an activity or lunch I just all my stuff with me so someone else can have the chair. :)

But apparently, there is a poster on this thread who will remove your belongings from the table, and put them on the dirty germy ground, even though it's obvious you are getting your food, and there is no way to carry your belongings along with your plate and glass.

But apparently, there is a poster on this thread who will remove your belongings from the table, and put them on the dirty germy ground, even though it's obvious you are getting your food, and there is no way to carry your belongings along with your plate and glass.

If gone for 60+ minutes, then yes, that becomes fair game. Regardless of where you've gone, you should always be mindful that your belongings are being left unattended, and people are always searching for loungers.

Again, I feel this is a rather basic concept. If you run to the restroom, or to get a drink, or a quick bite to eat, then that's fine in my eyes. However, if you take off for an hour plus, well, then your taking that risk of your things being moved, and someone in "your" seat when you return.

Around here, folks don't take kindly with people taking up their claimed real estate (I've seen fights break out when someone plops their stuff too close to someone else's beach real estate down the shore). Just because you say you will gladly move, most would see your behavior as rude.

As for the kids, they go off on their own. They know they can always find us at our chairs, and if we are not there, we will be back shortly. When we are on vacation, and/or at the beach, we have a spot (like most people traveling together). I don't think we've ever been away from our stuff for more than 20 minutes.

Gotta really laugh...:)

People always complain about the "rude New Yorkers" on the cruises out of NY.

I wish they would just say..."too many Jerseyans on the cruises out of NY".

What will Snooki/Gianni do....beat up an "old lady" as she meekly relinquishes title to a valuable piece of real estate???

We were on Carnival once, when my husband's friend pushed aside someone's "things" so he could sit on a bench in the buffet. I thought it was going to break out into a racial war. The whole thing could have been avoided if DH's friend said..."Do you mind if a move these closer to you so I can sit?"

Words...people. Use your words. And we can all live in harmony.

If gone for 60+ minutes, then yes, that becomes fair game. Regardless of where you've gone, you should always be mindful that your belongings are being left unattended, and people are always searching for loungers.

Again, I feel this is a rather basic concept. If you run to the restroom, or to get a drink, or a quick bite to eat, then that's fine in my eyes. However, if you take off for an hour plus, well, then your taking that risk of your things being moved, and someone in "your" seat when you return.

Just curious...but how do you know if someone is gone 60+ minutes. Do you stand and watch the chair? They could be coming and going.

I use the rule "a while"...which means maybe 10 minutes and I'll ask the people at the next chair if "the owners" have been around "recently".

Amazingly....nobody has ever fought with me or beat me up.

Just curious...but how do you know if someone is gone 60+ minutes. Do you stand and watch the chair? They could be coming and going.

I use the rule "a while"...which means maybe 10 minutes and I'll ask the people at the next chair if "the owners" have been around "recently".

True. I mentioned earlier maybe just grab an empty seat in the area and keep an eye on the ideal chairs. If no one comes since you've been there, and your approaching the 60 minute mark, then move in. It would also make sense, as you mentioned, to ask the folks seated next to the chair, if the "owners" have been around recently, or if they mentioned if they were just taking off for a few.

And for those on the other side of the coin, let your lounger neighbors know where your off to. If your just running to the bar for another drink, then your neighbors will know to let those coming to "steal" your seat that you'll be back in a minute.

I was referring to the poster who claimed to get his/her food from the buffet, approach a vacant table with someones's belongings, put those items on the floor, and proceed to sit down and eat, even though it's obvious that the owner of those items is up getting food. Who does that?!

I was referring to the poster who claimed to get his/her food from the buffet, approach a vacant table with someones's belongings, put those items on the floor, and proceed to sit down and eat, even though it's obvious that the owner of those items is up getting food. Who does that?!

Oh!

Yeah, I couldn't imagine doing something like that. Would you do that in a buffet restaurant at home? No? Then what's the difference?

Oh!

Yeah, I couldn't imagine doing something like that. Would you do that in a buffet restaurant at home? No? Then what's the difference?

Ya know...there's all kinds of situations.

Suppose a single person puts her stuff on a table for 4....then walks off to get her food. So...the 3 seats should remain "unoccupied"?

I wouldn't remove the person's stuff....but, I would sit in the vacant seats.

If someone wants to hold a place in the buffet....I feel that something should be left on each spot needed. One "book" shouldn't hold an entire table.

Ya know...there's all kinds of situations.

Suppose a single person puts her stuff on a table for 4....then walks off to get her food. So...the 3 seats should remain "unoccupied"?

I wouldn't remove the person's stuff....but, I would sit in the vacant seats.

If someone wants to hold a place in the buffet....I feel that something should be left on each spot needed. One "book" shouldn't hold an entire table.

This is a logical answer. I would understand that thinking. As you said, you wouldn't know until the other returned to the table. I'm assuming they are all 4+ top tables? I've yet to sail, so I'm unsure if they have 2 two top tables too? But yes, I would understand asking if the others minded you sitting at the unoccupied seats at a table where they clearly aren't using all the seating.

Fortunately, it's not so much about how YOU feel, and more about common courtesy. Most posters here disagree with you. Find another table.

I could always just dump the book in the garbage...and tell them nothing was on the table. :)

(You do see the smiley, right?)

Common courtesy is not to "claim space" that you have no right to claim.

Edited by MsTabbyKats

Fortunately, it's not so much about how YOU feel, and more about common courtesy. Most posters here disagree with you. Find another table.

Thank God, too. This one has a "record" for posting garbage like this .. and yes, she would most definitely be told "NO" if she tried to dine at our table.

While I am not fond of chair hogs, I believe that whether or not enforced, if NCL has a rule listed in the dailies of 60 minutes, then that is what the rule is. I don't believe you are entitled to make up your own rules because you yourself cannot find a seat. If I want to jump in the pool for 10 minutes, I shouldn't have to give up my lounger. If you want to wait around for an hour because you can't find a seat, then so be it. Then proceed with notifying a cruise personnel of your findings and have them remove the belongings.

Your rationale would be similar to going to a sit down restaurant, tables are full with one table marked reserved because of reservations, being told you would be seated in 60 minutes, but then 10 minutes later getting upset and just sitting at this "open" table because you saw it as unoccupied.

No one is entitled to make their own rules because they don't like the ones in place. Don't take your dislike for the rules out on other passengers, take it up with the cruise line.

While I am not fond of chair hogs, I believe that whether or not enforced, if NCL has a rule listed in the dailies of 60 minutes, then that is what the rule is. I don't believe you are entitled to make up your own rules because you yourself cannot find a seat. If I want to jump in the pool for 10 minutes, I shouldn't have to give up my lounger. If you want to wait around for an hour because you can't find a seat, then so be it. Then proceed with notifying a cruise personnel of your findings and have them remove the belongings.

Your rationale would be similar to going to a sit down restaurant, tables are full with one table marked reserved because of reservations, being told you would be seated in 60 minutes, but then 10 minutes later getting upset and just sitting at this "open" table because you saw it as unoccupied.

No one is entitled to make their own rules because they don't like the ones in place. Don't take your dislike for the rules out on other passengers, take it up with the cruise line.

Not directed at you....but...if you read the prior posts, I said I'd give the seat back if someone got upset.

Your restaurant analogy is wrong...since they don't hold tables for an hour. It's 15 minutes.

The way I see it is that people....like many on this board.....allow chair hoggory since they only complain amongst themselves. If they communicated...perhaps they wouldn't feel bullied.

The way I see it is that people....like many on this board.....allow chair hoggory since they only complain amongst themselves. If they communicated...perhaps they wouldn't feel bullied.

You do have a point with that, but NCL also needs to enforce their own rules. It's not fair that people may have a potential confrontation over a lounge chair!

Since we are out there so early in the morning, we always see lots of people-less loungers ... and, when folks near us are walking around looking for a chair, I have no problem telling them "that chair has been empty for the 5 hours that we've been out here". Only once have I witnessed yelling over something like that, but still ... it's not right.