Havana Daydreamin Back 2 Back on Serenade NOLA "LIVE"

It was soon time, that I grab the MacBook and do some posts while waiting for the aerial act to begin at 5:15. The lower levels of the centrum are abuzz with eager folks waiting for the action to begin!

You had an aerial show? I was so disappointed they didn't do one last week. I was really looking forward to it! Glad you got to see it this week!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

About the time of departure, the aerial show was to take place in the centrum. As I earlier reported, we were camped out in a nice location to watch. The show is very brief, but NOT TO BE MISSED!!!

Getting good shots is a bit difficult but this gives an idea of what these performers are going to be doing. One of them is lifted with some sort of elastic/bungi tope up from the floor on deck 4 up to perform at deck 9 level.

IMG_6550_zps5eec2198.jpg

IMG_6557_zpsa70e1f72.jpg

After the show, we were able to enjoy a bit of sailaway. The sunset was not as wonderful as other evenings, but still a sight to enjoy over the darkening mountains of Jamaica. It was almost as the good Lord was pointing fingers at some last detail that we should note before darkness arrived.

IMG_6568_zps0a6f0e27.jpg

IMG_6585_zps0f650864.jpg

IMG_6596_zpsc3bfeb44.jpg

We enjoyed a nice meal in the Main Dining Room and found a quiet spot on deck 5 to enjoy a New Orleans Cigar Factory special lancero.

Currently I am preparing to be greeted by the sun with a double espresso at Cafe Late-tudes.

In port at Georgetown today along with the Serenade of the Seas are:

Carnival Paridise

Celebrity Equinox

Disney Magic

Nieuw Amsterdam

Captain Anders is going to be making an onetime arrival once again it appears for 7 AM for expected ships clearance at 7:30 AM.

Our day will be light and easy in Georgetown. Of course, a visit to Margaritaville and perhaps a new t shirt. Casa del Habano to peruse what is on display. They have a coffee bar so there might just have to be a cafe cubano! Then to check on the prices of Balvenie Triple Cask on shore.

Then back to daydream on the ship for the afternoon.

Blessings on everyones day and thanks again for following along. Hope it is continuing to offer you distractions from your day and allowing for some daydreams of your own!:D

In port at Georgetown today along with the Serenade of the Seas are:

Carnival Paridise

Celebrity Equinox

Disney Magic

Nieuw Amsterdam

Captain Anders is going to be making an onetime arrival once again it appears for 7 AM for expected ships clearance at 7:30 AM.

Our day will be light and easy in Georgetown. Of course, a visit to Margaritaville and perhaps a new t shirt. Casa del Habano to peruse what is on display. They have a coffee bar so there might just have to be a cafe cubano! Then to check on the prices of Balvenie Triple Cask on shore.

Then back to daydream on the ship for the afternoon.

Blessings on everyones day and thanks again for following along. Hope it is continuing to offer you distractions from your day and allowing for some daydreams of your own!:D

Always enjoy the CASA Del Habano stores. Have been to the Falmouth and GC locations multiple times. While you were in Falmouth did you notice the photo of the shop's owner with Fidel Castro?

I have found the GC location employs a very good cigar roller. I always make sure that I purchase a couple of her local blend robustos.

Enjoy your day in Grand Cayman!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Always enjoy the CASA Del Habano stores. Have been to the Falmouth and GC locations multiple times. While you were in Falmouth did you notice the photo of the shop's owner with Fidel Castro?

I have found the GC location employs a very good cigar roller. I always make sure that I purchase a couple of her local blend robustos.

Enjoy your day in Grand Cayman!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I just may have to sample a blend today!!!:D

Once again,

Thank you SO MUCH for this wonderful and delightful review. I have enjoyed each and every morning reading your posts and looking at your marvelous pictures! I board the Serenade in just over 4 weeks and thanks to your review I cannot wait! Thanks again!:)

Hotel St. Marie is located right in the heart of the French Quarter. As this was our first trip to NOLA together, we wanted to experience this area of the city. We wanted something that could be considered quite traditional New Orleans French Quarter styling. We found this hotel early last year and gave it consideration for a couple months and finally booked our stay here in May of 2014.

HotelStMarieMap_zpse15ac723.png

Arrival was made a bit more exciting by being in the wrong lane on I 10 and getting off at the exit to the Mercedes SuperDome. As I had obsessed over the maps of the French Quarter for quite some time, I felt that we could just hunt and peck our way over to the hotel.

It took a bit of hunting and a bit of my wife pecking on the maps on her phone and we found our way to Canal Street and were only a couple blocks from Bourbon St. Just past Bourbon was Dauphine but that was One Way in the wrong direction, so one more block and then down a few blocks to Toulouse and we were able to pull into the valet parking area and get checked in.

IMG_5305_zpsb6ebbbf9.jpg

Check In was very pleasant and efficient and before long we were in our room. More about that coming up soon, but first......

UP NEXT, our first views from our hotel of the area.

Often thought about NOLA, will keep this in mind thank you.

Hi all!

Havana Daydreamin ~ loving your review, especially the pictures.:D It's so nice to see colours when all I see outside my windows here is white!!

Counting the days until I actually am in Havana & sailing around that beautiful island. Too many days to count 'til I board Serenade which looks like a lovely ship. Thank you for your report.

~ Jo ~ :)

Often thought about NOLA, will keep this in mind thank you.

If you want to go on RCI out of NOLA, you better hurry! They are pulling out of NOLA the middle of April. (Thus the reason we have booked Serenade again for April 4th. NOLA is a great port/city--and close to home for us.) :)

I have a question about locations to watch sports. [i know--odd question of ra cruise. ] We sail a B2B in late March-April. Are there places DH would be able to watch basketball--March Madness? . . . at least a little bit?

I cannot say for certain, but I would expect there will be basketball to be watched. We saw some college and some NBA on the pool deck screen.

I do know that when there have been major events for college football, etc. the event has been covered just as the super bowl was.

It might not always be one's favorite team, but there are games to be enjoyed.

Hi all!

Havana Daydreamin ~ loving your review, especially the pictures.:D It's so nice to see colours when all I see outside my windows here is white!!

Counting the days until I actually am in Havana & sailing around that beautiful island. Too many days to count 'til I board Serenade which looks like a lovely ship. Thank you for your report.

~ Jo ~ :)

I have loved, loved, LOVED following this along. What a blessing to take two whole weeks onboard a ship. It's my plan for our 10th anniversary to do just that!

Your writing style is delightful and just couldn't stop reading. Thanks so much!

Mary

Thank you both, so very kindly! Glad you have enjoyed.

In 2013 we enjoyed the colors of Prince Edward Island on our Celebrity Summit cruise. And we especially enjoyed the jams that we had sent back to us!

We enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in the dining room and I put up the cruise compass for the day prior to making our way ashore by the tender.

The seas were not rough, but there was enough bounce that you did have to heed the sign and advice "Mind your head" when walking the gangway onto the tender. I can't tell you how many people I saw take it on the noggin while watching their step.

Good thing that no one was texting while boarding the tender as I am certain that would have been an accident waiting to happen!

It took a bit to fill the tender but soon we were on our way! It is the very closest I have had the pleasure to see flying fish jump and get out of the way of the tender.

We enjoyed the changed sights of Georgetown in the several years that we have not been able to call on the port.

Another thing that has changed is the people hawking coupons and advertisements to certain stores. It was never so forward as I observed today. Now, don't get the wrong idea, it is not like they won't leave you alone, it was just a different experience. That said, once you got past that, Georgetown was simply Georgetown as we knew it...just a bit more crowded than what we fondly remember in our first few calls on the port.

We perused a couple shops that had Christmas ornaments before picking out one for this next Christmas. I looked at a couple shops for Balvenie Triple Cask without success in seeing it. Then off to Casa Del Habano!!!!

The store was still the same even down to the clerk at the counter whom I have seen every time I have been there. I suppose he is the owner. Not an effusive personality, but always helpful and kind.

I inquired regarding the woman crafting cigars and was curtly told that she was not in and would not be in today at all. In a moment or so, a local came in and the conversation picked up. The other individual inquired the same and the reply came.........

I KID YOU NOT!!!.....

"She is with her lover today!"

Well, Lucky Her, I thought and we went on our way to enjoy some beverage at our next itinerary stop.

Margaritaville.

IMG_6629_zps3fb79a3a.jpg

We did some browsing in the retail store and found a couple t-shirts to purchase, which we did. Then it was to head upstairs and we were graciously directed to an elevator that brought us out right by the pool.

We were welcomed to the smoking balcony and were mildly disappointed that there was no music there. The church next door likes it quiet, which I can understand. I don't believe I would like to spend time in worship hearing "Let's Get Drunk and ......(you can fill in the blank)" We could catch some music from indoors so it was all fine. And perhaps even for the best as we could visit without having to yell over the music.

Local brews were enjoyed and we really liked the White Tip Lager along with a Bolivar. We visited with a couple off of the Nieuw Amsterdam as the lady liked my cigar and complimented it. We also enjoyed the view of the Serenade of the Seas while waiting for the Lava Lava Shrimp appetizer to arrive.

IMG_6612_zps872e193c.jpg

IMG_6621_zpsd317f3e1.jpg

IMG_6625_zpsd5bfcddd.jpg

Chickens were below us and it seemed to good to feed them some lettuce. The chick, hen, and rooster ate it up heartily.....UNTIL......

A RIVAL rooster appeared crowing on the scene. A fight ensued that continued all the while we were there and was still going on when we left!

We were off on our way back to the Serenade for a bite of lunch and to enjoy the views from deck 5 starboard while I did these posts.

IMG_6631_zpsf44c4dc6.jpg

A Julius Caesar is patiently awaiting my attention!

Hope you all enjoyed following our antics in Georgetown, Grand Caymen. Aren't we easily entertained!!!!

Edited by Havana Daydreamin

The Serenade is underway and will be leading a parade of ships across the Caribbean tonight toward Cozumel. She was the first to depart. Without knowing the order, the scheduled ships for calling on Cozumel tomorrow along with the Serenade are......

Disney Magic

Carnival Paradise

Nieuw Amsterdam

Joining these four is Oasis of the Seas. As per usual, the Serenade will be docking at the International Pier.

Enjoying the departure views of Grand Caymen and continued relaxing on deck 5 before preparing for Giovanni's this evening.

Have a great night everyone!:)

Loving your pictures and commentary. Looking forward to our Western Caribbean cruise in late April.

Question. :) The shops that sell the Christmas ornaments at Grand Cayman. How far away were they from the tender docks. We will probably buy an ornament as a souvenir.

A question or two about George Town - we plan on just walking around the town when we arrive there. How close is the National Museum to the tender dock? And is there somewhere within walking distance of the tender dock to eat besides Margaritaville that you would recommend?

Enjoying your review.....serenade is my favorite ship....and the classic western itinerary my first on the majesty close to 20 yrs ago......we had a porthole built into a shelf over the bed we could sort of crawl into to see what the next island looked like....such an adventure!....I remember thinking the cabin was like a fancy camper...returned from the new regal princess 2 weeks ago .....she is like a palace compared to the old days but I still prefer the serenade and her sisters...hope you continue to enjoy your cruise....

A question or two about George Town - we plan on just walking around the town when we arrive there. How close is the National Museum to the tender dock? And is there somewhere within walking distance of the tender dock to eat besides Margaritaville that you would recommend?

Previous visits we always at at a waterfront location not far from the tender piers. It has been known by other names, but currently it is Rackams.

I cannot vouch for current food quality, but it was always good and a very nice location.

Loving your pictures and commentary. Looking forward to our Western Caribbean cruise in late April.

Question. :) The shops that sell the Christmas ornaments at Grand Cayman. How far away were they from the tender docks. We will probably buy an ornament as a souvenir.

Maybe a block...they were actually also t-shirt and other curio stores, but had Christmas Ornaments. The were both in the building that housed Captain Marvin's tours even though Capt. Marvin is no longer with us.

I don't know about the distance to the National Museum. Haven't been, Haven't seen where it is so I would just have to look it up on the map online.

I would expect it will be quite easy to get to.:)