Prepaid Gratuities

I will be cruising on the Oasis in June. This is our first cruise. We have prepaid our gratuities through our TA (She said it was easier).

Does the staff (bartenders, waiters, etc) on the ship know when they scan our card that we have prepaid the gratuities? Or do we just look cheap for not tipping at the time (ie: when we purchase drinks at the bar)??

I will be cruising on the Oasis in June. This is our first cruise. We have prepaid our gratuities through our TA (She said it was easier).

Does the staff (bartenders, waiters, etc) on the ship know when they scan our card that we have prepaid the gratuities? Or do we just look cheap for not tipping at the time (ie: when we purchase drinks at the bar)??

Your prepaid gratuities cover stateroom attendant (and helpers) and dining staff. They do not cover bar servers. Each drink you buy will have 15% added for tips for the bar servers.

Edited by clarea

The pre paid gratuities cover your waitstaff and cabin steward. There is still a 15% gratuity added to all drink purchases.

I suggest bringing a few singles onto the cruise with you. If you find you had exceptional service or are constantly going to the same bartender and he's always getting your drink ASAP, it's worth the few extra bucks to throw at them :)

As far as whether the staff knows that you pre-paid. The auto-gratuities are standard, so their assumption is that everyone is paying those. So it makes no difference whether you prepay them up front or have them charged to your room on board (which is the other option). I do believe the staff may be informed if ask to have them removed when you get on board, however.