Dress shorts in dining room casual nights

MamaTene

So judging by the posted sign, nice clean unfrayed or untorn dark jeans are acceptable with a nice collared shirt for dinner on all but formal nights? I would appreciate a quick reply, as we are getting ready to book and this could be a deal breaker for my hubby.

Thanks!

Robin

Golf shirts or Polo shirts are fine on casual nights as are T shirts with any pair of long pants including jeans.

A fancy designer T-shirt (like my now-somewhat-passé bejeweled and hand-painted Ed Hardy number) with a jacket or sweater thrown over it might pass as "smart casual." A plain ol' T - even if the team logo matches the one on your ball cap - might better be described as "wash-the-car casual."

So judging by the posted sign, nice clean unfrayed or untorn dark jeans are acceptable with a nice collared shirt for dinner on all but formal nights? I would appreciate a quick reply, as we are getting ready to book and this could be a deal breaker for my hubby.

Thanks!

Robin

Yes!!!!

Thanks!

Robin

Just about any pair of jeans are OK but the key is NO HOLES. Fraying is acceptable as long as you can't actually see through the material.

A fancy designer T-shirt (like my now-somewhat-passé bejeweled and hand-painted Ed Hardy number) with a jacket or sweater thrown over it might pass as "smart casual." A plain ol' T - even if the team logo matches the one on your ball cap - might better be described as "wash-the-car casual."

Where I come from bejeweled anything isn't the norm but if it tickles you then go right ahead. :p

I'll stick with my casual T shirt that offends no one....along with a pair of comfortable prewashed jeans.

Not only is it posted by the dining room, it is printed on the first page of the patters especially on formal days. :D

You would think that if Princess puts it in the Cruise Answer Book, in the Patters and on a sign at the door of the dining room, that people would show respect and follow their wishes.

I quote, "Passenger attire should be in keeping with what one would wear in a nice restaurant at home."

I don't know about you fashion police, but I see shorts and jeans in "nice" restaurants all the time, especially in Florida, but also up north in the summer. I suspect that much of the confusion comes from that statement.

Our friends who are frequent cruisers and dress very nicely as a matter of course, told us about what happened on their recent Panama Canal cruise on Princess.

For some reason,the husband did dress in dress shorts for dinner in the MDR on a night other than a formal night.He was promptly asked to change into long pants if he chose to dine in the MDR.

He did comply and the wife refrained from telling him I told you so!

I quote, "Passenger attire should be in keeping with what one would wear in a nice restaurant at home."

I don't know about you fashion police, but I see shorts and jeans in "nice" restaurants all the time, especially in Florida, but also up north in the summer. I suspect that much of the confusion comes from that statement.

Would you care to continue the Princess quote? There is no confusion. Selecting one sentence of the Princess statement to give you a reason to do your own thing doesn't make you right and the "fashion police" wrong.

Just my two sense of unfairness: I have seen women wear shorts in the dinning room with high heels and no one said a thing. However I have seen men being turned away wearing dressy shorts. I hate that type of double standard and NO SHORTS should be allowed period except on the first night of dinning and of course for breakfast and lunch.

Our friends who are frequent cruisers and dress very nicely as a matter of course, told us about what happened on their recent Panama Canal cruise on Princess.

For some reason,the husband did dress in dress shorts for dinner in the MDR on a night other than a formal night.He was promptly asked to change into long pants if he chose to dine in the MDR.

He did comply and the wife refrained from telling him I told you so!

I showed up in shorts one evening & when refused entrance pointed to a lady with a short skirt which was shorter than my shorts. It didn't do any good. :D

After I returned home I read that the traditional restaurant on the same trip was allowing shorts on casual evenings. Who knew?

I'll continue to enjoy the first & last evening wearing shorts as I do in Florida to any restaurant.:p

What about golf shirts in the dining room? I make sure my husbands has dockers, but it is difficult getting buttoned up short sleeve shirts where we live

I also have trouble finding short sleeved button shirts, especially out of season. Several years ago I discovered that Men's Warehouse will make short sleeves out of long sleeved shirts for a nominal fee! Who knew!

But to answer the question you asked, collared golf shirts are fine on casual nights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app