Dress shorts in dining room casual nights

MamaTene

While some will say that they have seen exceptions, men in shorts are usually turned away from the main dining room for dinner. Pack long slacks and or khakis, or on the nights where you want to wear shorts the Horizon Court is a great option.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

The official Princess policy for Smart Casual dinner is "Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms." (http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp).

There have been a lot of comments about whether or not Princess enforces this policy and about whether or not Princess should enforce this policy, and I don't want to add to that debate. However, their policy on shorts is clearly stated.

I have also found it to be allowed on the final evening as well since the luggage is generally put out before dinner.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

never seen that posted before, can you post a link

Saw quite a few of them on the Regal January 11 sailing ... not only on embarkation day or day before disembarkation. Also saw one individual walk in right in front of us wearing his shorts and backwards ball cap :eek: Amazing how his legs could be hot enough to wear shorts yet his head cold enough to wear a hat :rolleyes:

As posted in one of the Royal dining rooms:

990101320a010115DiningroomdresscodeDSC04758_zps7c6129f6.jpg

I've seen this sign too on some cruises. To me the words "not permitted" says it all.

If I don't feel up to changing out of my shorts and into a sun dress or something more appropriate to eating in a nice restaurant, I would just tell my hubby that we should head to the Horizon Court instead.

It's pretty rare that your luggage won't be in your cabin by the time you're getting ready for dinner (maybe for some in early, early dining). And for the last night, you can either put out a separate outfit for the next morning or re-wear what you're wearing for dinner the last night. At least for me, if not in a very tropical place for disembarkation, it's going to seem too cool for shorts in the morning.

As posted in one of the Royal dining rooms:

990101320a010115DiningroomdresscodeDSC04758_zps7c6129f6.jpg

Not only is it posted by the dining room, it is printed on the first page of the patters especially on formal days. :D

You would think that if Princess puts it in the Cruise Answer Book, in the Patters and on a sign at the door of the dining room, that people would show respect and follow their wishes.

I have also found it to be allowed on the final evening as well since the luggage is generally put out before dinner.

Happy Cruising!

Mark

They should allow this, especially with the new luggage options. At least on my last Regal cruise, for $20, Princess gave you boarding passes and airline luggage tags. They took care of transporting them to the airport and checking them in. So once you put suitcases outside your cabin door, you didn't worry about them until you arrived at your home airport.

I didn't think about this until we were packing them the last night. Usually I leave out my normal carry-on stuff (cameras, valuables, things to do), pjs, some sundries, and a change of clothes for the morning. Then I put my dinner/evening clothes in the suitcase before I check it in at the airport. Since I wasn't going to see my suitcase again, I had to wear what I wanted to travel in the night before we left the ship. So my son was back in his shorts and I was in my jeans that last night.

Sailing the Royal in two weeks and question has arisen regarding shorts in dining room. Thanks for info from all the experts

On a recent cruise on Star on Smart Casual Niights, I saw a group of 5 young 30 something's women wearing dressy short shorts with nice tops and high heels allowed in the MDR They were young and had nice legs so easy on the eyes. No one complained. :)

image.jpg.bbeeef1fd49bc1f20a17cbbee996a9d3.jpg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

On a recent cruise on Star on Smart Casual Niights, I saw a group of 5 young 30 something's women wearing dressy short shorts with nice tops and high heels allowed in the MDR They were young and had nice legs so easy on the eyes. No one complained. :)

Sexist statement, but it make me smile.:D