Family Harbour suite - yes, no or maybe?

Over Land & Sea

9 pm - 11 pm seems awfully late for "family bedtime".

Maybe kids in my family go to bed particularly early, but even on vacation- little ones don't stay up late enough to eat a cookie at 9!

I wish this was late for my kids. We try to get them to bed around 8pm, but it's usually 10-11pm before they actually go to sleep. And, when we're on vacation, forget it...we don't enforce a bedtime, but they usually get so worn down that they go to sleep earlier than when they're at home.

Besides the scheduled milk & cookies, there is also the 24-hour ice cream machines as well.

We booked a 5 person FH suite instead of the 4 person because of this. It has the pullout sofa (for our 5 year old daughter) and a pull down bed (for our 14 year old son). Otherwise they would have been sharing the pullout sofa which would have sucked.

Edited: this was supposed to quote the person who was concerned about traveling with a 1 year old and 10 year old.

Edited by KristiandEvan

That's helpful at the steakhouse, if I wanted to take my kids there.

It saves me at Cucina a small amount of money and does it really help at Red Frog or the Seafood Shack?

Kids could always order off the kids menu for free, couldn't they?

Only the steakhouse was this not true.

Just doesn't seem like much of a perk, given the rather poor location the FH area is located on the ship.

Only the steakhouse does this really make any difference.

There is no kids menu at the steakhouse. If you want to bring kids, you will pay full price for them. There was just a big discussion about this recently.

• 1 month later...
Is it true that the family cove balcony does not have a bathtub but the deluxe Oceanview does?

Correct. The FH Cove is the exact same floor plan as the regular cove and has 1 standard bathroom. The FH Deluxe OV is the same layout as the regular DOV and has the second tub/sink bathroom.

The family cabins look really good but I am wondering what the other perks are apart from the great decor and the lounge? The booking page says there are other perks around the ship but they might just mean the the lounge?

I personally think that although the decor of the lounge is great the fact its an inside space with no windows makes it feel really pokey and I wouldn't use it if I was with children.

Would it be cheaper and better to book a Deluxe ocean view that also fits a large family?

For a typical 8 day in early July time it would cost a family of 4 an extra $95 for the harbour room instead of a Deluxe ocean view.

Here is some additional info on perks that were listed from a previous link:

Guests in Family Harbor Staterooms are entitled to:

· 24/7 Family Harbor Lounge Access

· Kids eat free in for-pay dining restaurants (excluding Chef’s Table) – Children must dine with adult and order off Kids’ menu.

· One free attendance to Night Owls (up to 3 hours of free babysitting)

FAMILY HARBOR LOUNGE FEATURES

Family Harbor Concierge

A Concierge available to help with any family needs (3:00pm-5:00pm, daily)

· Book shore excursions

· Make dining or spa reservations

· Make requests for extra towels or other housekeeping needs

· Check out video game consoles, games and movies

· Register children for youth programs or sign up for Night Owls

Entertainment

· Large screen-TV’s

· Programmed family movies with popcorn

· Video game consoles, games and movies available to check out

· Hasbro board games readily available

Breakfast and Snacks

· Self serve breakfast stations open on port days, 6:30am-9:30am and sea days, 7:30am-10:30am, serving: pastries, yogurt, deli meats, cereal, cut fruit, coffee, tea, water and orange juice.

· Self serve snack stations open daily, 3:00pm-5:00pm, serving: sandwiches, pastries and cookies.

· Self serve cookies and milk at family bedtime, 9:00pm-11:00pm each evening.

· Swirls soft serve ice cream and frozen yogurt machines, 24/7

The family harbor idea seems OK but I do wish Carnival had not stuck all those cabins on deck 2 and ALL underneath the Galley...A suite under a Galley?

The possibility of late, late night noise, as reported by those in Cove balconies under the galley on the Dream class, is a big possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to get my sister to book one of these for our cruise on 11/27/16. I priced them out and they are not too expensive for what you're getting. The idea of a dedicated lounge and offer of kid's menus for specialty restaurants makes it worth it to me. Especially for families with little ones under 12.

However, my kids are older teens so I booked two Havana aft extended balconies side by side. I'm just happy to be going on the Vista at all but I'm glad I snagged those cabins!

Ty all who have shared info. Has helped a lot.

After careful consideration I just can't go with one of these. I have this gut feeling that for us Family Harbor would be a disaster. The few times I've cruised and been on a bottom deck I hated it. The Family Harbor Lounge sounds interesting but the details make it sound like the principle attraction for kids will be staring at tv's. I think we'd all much rather have easy access to outside play areas.

Looking forward to hearing what the first reviews are like.

• 2 weeks later...

We have decided to hang on to our balcony on lido as well. If the FH suites had a balcony design like the Havana's we would have made the jump. The cove style balcony's doesn't appeal to us. I haven't had a cabin that low since our first cruise and I didn't know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no kids menu at the steakhouse. If you want to bring kids, you will pay full price for them. There was just a big discussion about this recently.

You are only partially correct. Yes, there is no kids menu at the steakhouse. However, kids from the FH will eat for free there. I confirmed this with John Heald myself. He actually wasn't sure at first and had to check himself, but he verified that FH kids do eat free in the steakhouse.

You are only partially correct. Yes, there is no kids menu at the steakhouse. However, kids from the FH will eat for free there. I confirmed this with John Heald myself. He actually wasn't sure at first and had to check himself, but he verified that FH kids do eat free in the steakhouse.

Very interesting move on Carnival's part considering all the debate on whether children should be allowed in the steakhouse This perk is practically promoting it. I wonder if they plan to have a separate section in the sh for families? I

Haven't personally taken my children to the sh most because they would prefer to eat and hangout in camp although they have dined in plenty of fine restaurants.

I think this one will be interesting follow as why would they give a full size steak to a child for free? They have to modify the dining options somehow.

Very interesting move on Carnival's part considering all the debate on whether children should be allowed in the steakhouse This perk is practically promoting it. I wonder if they plan to have a separate section in the sh for families? I

Haven't personally taken my children to the sh most because they would prefer to eat and hangout in camp although they have dined in plenty of fine restaurants.

I think this one will be interesting follow as why would they give a full size steak to a child for free? They have to modify the dining options somehow.

I have not taken my kids either, but I consider this a good backup plan.

While on the Breeze, we had planned an adults only night in the steakhouse, while the kids were at the camp. This was fine with my daughter, but my son refused to be left in the camp. As a result, my wife missed out on the steakhouse so she could watch him. He's older now, and now loves summer camp, so I think he'll be fine next time. But it's good to know that we can bring them if needed next time.

We have a family harbor ocean view stateroom and bringing our then 3 year daughter with us and we plan to visit the steakhouse with her.

I asked JH last week and besides the steakhouse the cucina del capitano and the Asian place is free for children booked in a fh cabin. I think this is a very nice perk.

We will visit the steakhouse a second time without her if she stays in camp.

Does anyone know if the fh suites will accommodate 5 (2 adults, 3 children) in one room. Dh and I are going on the vista alone the first time, but if we love the boat may take our three children on the next Cruise. I can't really find the answer to this. Many cruises I've researched do not easily accommodate 5 unless you book suite level or boom two rooms.

Does anyone know if the fh suites will accommodate 5 (2 adults, 3 children) in one room. Dh and I are going on the vista alone the first time, but if we love the boat may take our three children on the next Cruise. I can't really find the answer to this. Many cruises I've researched do not easily accommodate 5 unless you book suite level or boom two rooms.

Yes, the majority of the FH Suites will accommodate 5. The configuration is 2 twin beds (convert to a king), a double sofa bed & a pullman. Look for the rooms with the half circle symbol on the deck plans.

A handful of the FH Deluxe OVs also accommodate 5, configured as 2 twins, a single sofa bed & 2 pullman (the twins do not convert to a king while the pullman are in use).

Yes, the majority of the FH Suites will accommodate 5. The configuration is 2 twin beds (convert to a king), a double sofa bed & a pullman. Look for the rooms with the half circle symbol on the deck plans.

A handful of the FH Deluxe OVs also accommodate 5, configured as 2 twins, a single sofa bed & 2 pullman (the twins do not convert to a king while the pullman are in use).

Thanks for that reply. Ok the two twin that does not convert to a king option would be out for us...but if the fh would fit 5 (ages two adults, 10, 8 and 5 year old when we cruise with the kids) that maybe the route to go. Other option is to convince the grandparents to come with us and see if they will take one of the three in their room. Will keep that in mind

I can't wait for our couple cruise next year though.

• 2 weeks later...
Does Kids menu mean a modified/scaled down version of specialty menu; or "regular" kids menu stuff like burger, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.

That certainly is something different. I would love to see John's reply for the wording. Not doubting the poster but it is a Tom break in process for existing.

Does Kids menu mean a modified/scaled down version of specialty menu; or "regular" kids menu stuff like burger, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.

That's a good question. I did ask John Heald about the steakhouse before, since the does not have a kids menu. His reply to me about that was kids will eat free there from something that they would like. Not sure if that means the MDR menu is in effect there or what. I also don't know what the actual kids menus look like at the other specialty restaurants.

That's a good question. I did ask John Heald about the steakhouse before, since the does not have a kids menu. His reply to me about that was kids will eat free there from something that they would like. Not sure if that means the MDR menu is in effect there or what. I also don't know what the actual kids menus look like at the other specialty restaurants.

Agh. That makes sense. We were on the Sunshine and at the steakhouse on of our grand kids did not want to stay in Camp Ocean. They brought her pasta. There are no kids menus for either the steakhouse or Cucina.

Edited by jimbo5544

This was discussed at length on another thread and I believe John Heald has said that is a no.

If kids are getting the hamburger, hot dog, chicken nuggets, pizza type of menu it is no different than any other free kids menu and should not be advertised as kids eat free in specialty. Kids in specialty free should only be advertised if there is a specialty menu for them to order off of. I hate marketing doublespeak. Looks impressive, but just hot air.