Jewel Cruise

roger001

Just got home from a 7 day Jewel cruise. Second time on her and 14th on NCL. Loved every cruise. However, I don't think any ship has had a crew as super nice and sweet as was the Jewel crew this past week. Wow. What a great group of NCL folks, all of them. Two of my favorites were going on vacation immediately and then returning to other ships though. Anyhow, all of you Jewel folks, you are truly outstanding. Thank you!!!

The Jewel looked great I thought. The recent dry dock replaced a lot of interior cosmetic items apparently. She looked really nice. Houston port was a super easy get on and get off experience for us. Texas does have the really stupid alcohol tax though, which includes locking and sealing with an "official Texas seal" the mini refridg the last night. Texas, you're really silly!

The whole experience, we were as happy as can be.

Just got home from a 7 day Jewel cruise. Second time on her and 14th on NCL. Loved every cruise. However, I don't think any ship has had a crew as super nice and sweet as was the Jewel crew this past week. Wow. What a great group of NCL folks, all of them. Two of my favorites were going on vacation immediately and then returning to other ships though. Anyhow, all of you Jewel folks, you are truly outstanding. Thank you!!!

The Jewel looked great I thought. The recent dry dock replaced a lot of interior cosmetic items apparently. She looked really nice. Houston port was a super easy get on and get off experience for us. Texas does have the really stupid alcohol tax though, which includes locking and sealing with an "official Texas seal" the mini refridg the last night. Texas, you're really silly!

So excited to hear this! Three weeks from today, we will be enjoying our first luxurious sea day on the Jewel! You've succeeded in adding to my excitement, which I didn't think was possible! Thank you! :D

So excited to hear this! Three weeks from today, we will be enjoying our first luxurious sea day on the Jewel! You've succeeded in adding to my excitement, which I didn't think was possible! Thank you! :D

I hope you really enjoy her. And I do recommend you see the production, Le Cirque Bijou. It was day 6 last week. It does fill the Stardust theater for the first show (7:15). I recommend you wait on deck 6 for doors to open at 6:45 and get a seat at about the area where you enter the theater from deck 6. Some of the show is from above the audience. You don't want to be up too close. We really admired the skills of the cast in Burn the Floor on the Getaway. And we felt the same way about this cast. This might have been the best show we've seen on one of the ships. After the show, stick around briefly and enjoy seeing a bunch of the Jewel's crew up on stage.

We normally don't buy many pictures taken by the ships' photographers. However, my wife had her picture taken after the show with two of the half naked, sweaty, muscular guys from this cast. She definitely bought that picture.

We loved our experience on Jewel in Dec. I agree, very friendly officers, staff, servers, and stewards. The captain is very out going and sets the tone for the entire ship.

Excellent advice about the Le Cirque show.

I hope you really enjoy her. And I do recommend you see the production, Le Cirque Bijou. It was day 6 last week. It does fill the Stardust theater for the first show (7:15). I recommend you wait on deck 6 for doors to open at 6:45 and get a seat at about the area where you enter the theater from deck 6. Some of the show is from above the audience. You don't want to be up too close. We really admired the skills of the cast in Burn the Floor on the Getaway. And we felt the same way about this cast. This might have been the best show we've seen on one of the ships. After the show, stick around briefly and enjoy seeing a bunch of the Jewel's crew up on stage.

We normally don't buy many pictures taken by the ships' photographers. However, my wife had her picture taken after the show with two of the half naked, sweaty, muscular guys from this cast. She definitely bought that picture.

Wow! Excellent advice. Thank you!

We are staying in the Haven, so could sit in the reserved seating area, but I've heard that the seats are not in the best location. Because location is so important for this show, we'll definitely follow your instructions. :)

Any and all other advice is greatly appreciated! :D

I have a few questions as we will be on the jewel next week. Which place did you like eating the best? Were there lot of kids on board?

What time did you arrive at the cruise dock and did you use the lattitudes line? Was there plenty of lounge chairs availabile throughout the ship on sea days?

How was your weather? Finally thanks in advance for not only your original post but answers to my questions.

We also just returned yesterday from 7 days on the Jewel, I agree the staff was fantastic, best we've ever had. The ship was clean, the food was great, the entertainment fantastic. We'll do NCL again.

I have a few questions as we will be on the jewel next week. Which place did you like eating the best? Were there lot of kids on board?

What time did you arrive at the cruise dock and did you use the lattitudes line? Was there plenty of lounge chairs availabile throughout the ship on sea days?

How was your weather? Finally thanks in advance for not only your original post but answers to my questions.

We just got back yesterday from the Jewel. We did not use any of the specialty restaurants this time, the 'free' ones were great. There is one a little fancy in the back of the ship (Tzar's Palace) and one less fancy (Azura) both with the same menu. Then there's the pub on Deck 8 and of course the buffet on Deck 12. My very favorite specialty restaurant is the Modreno but you have to like meat!

We arrived at the dock about 10:30 am and thought that was perfect timing, you go up to the front of the terminal to check in and once you get your sea card you wait for them to call your number to board. You'll be on board in time for lunch. The buffet is extremely crowded the first day but one of the main dining rooms will be open and we found it was not crowded at all. Be patient the first day as the elevators are very busy, use the stairs or be prepared to wait. I don't remember a latitudes line so I don't think we used it but we just went where we were told to go.

We had great weather except for the last sea day, it was cold and rainy. We founds lots to do inside though and the day went fast.

Enjoy your cruise!

We were port by 10:30. We like that time. As another said, quick check in, issued boarding number, and boarding began about 11:30 I believe. There was a Latitudes line for check in that we were directed to. However, the check in at that time was a "no line" wait regardless. Houston is a small and easy port. We had a couple of platinum freebies for food. Usually do Le Bistro and another. This time did Chin Chin and La Cuchina. Not as fancy as Le Bistro or Moderno, but we liked both. Didn't do a MDR at all this time. Did O'Sheehans twice for lighter eating after having eaten on shore at port stops. Chicken pot pie was good but a little light on chicken. However, you can order all and as much as you want, so you won't leave hungry. Ate in the buffet otherwise. I think the Jewel has a very good buffet. No...not many kids last week, at least I didn't see them. We don't use the pool deck (need to stay out of the sun now), so I don't really remember about the lounge chairs. Oh, we did enjoy the small Mojito bar up in the Moderno area. We settled on two flavors of the Mojitos and used up some quantity of OBC indulging in them. The Jewel class ships do have a Spinnaker lounge (top forward observation lounge/bar) and the Great Outdoors rear deck 12 open grill and eating area, both of which we really enjoy. Also, port side, deck 11, all the way forward, a really nice bridge viewing room.

Looking forward to our next week crusie on the Jewel. Just curious what rooms roger001 had and seeseasport . Did you like your locations?

We like mini suites that are under the larger balcony overhang from above (mini suites are deck 11 on the Jewel class ships). This time it was 11064. 11026 and 11028 are the last two forward minis still under the overhang. We like both of them. 11064 had, around 9 pm briefly, and again after about 8:30 am, some noise from above. It was like something heavy being moved and set down, several times for a brief time. Otherwise, quiet during the sleeping hours.

Wow! Excellent advice. Thank you!

We are staying in the Haven, so could sit in the reserved seating area, but I've heard that the seats are not in the best location. Because location is so important for this show, we'll definitely follow your instructions. :)

Any and all other advice is greatly appreciated! :D

As an afterthought, I'll recommend a restaurant in Cozumel, Pancho's Backyard. It is a slightly upscale restaurant with some slightly upscale prices. But the setting, service, personnel, and food are all excellent. On the main ocean front street in Punta Langosta, it is about 3 blocks or so down past the ferry pier. Pretty good walk. With my wife's bad knees, we took a taxi. It is in a bigger building with a trinkets shop that shares the location. Be sure you go into the main or back courtyard portion of the restaurant, not just the right out front few tables. You can search it on Trip Advisor.

Ummmm...fish tacos. Oh...Ummmm... sopapillas too!

Thanks for the quick update! We will be on her in 2 weeks, and I have a couple of disembarkation questions. What time were you able to get off the ship? What is the availability of Taxis post cruise? Thanks for any information you can share!

Thanks for the quick update! We will be on her in 2 weeks, and I have a couple of disembarkation questions. What time were you able to get off the ship? What is the availability of Taxis post cruise? Thanks for any information you can share!

I saw "walk offs" (carrying their own luggage) walking off by about 7:30. The first colored tags were called after those guests had exited and that was about 8:45 or 9 am. We were in that first group called. We were then off the ship, luggage collected, through customs, and on the street in about 15 minutes. Taxis were standing by (along with Super Shuttle and numerous other transports). This of course assumes all is routine with the ship docking on time and no TSA or customs issues. I understand Houston does occasionally have fog issues.

Glad to hear you had a great time - we cruised the Jewel not too long before she went into dry-dock and can't wait to see the updates. We're just under 6 weeks out from our next sailing on her. Being from Texas, we are super excited to be able to be within driving distance of the port and like the Saturday to Saturday trip too.

What did you do in Trujillo?

Glad to hear you had a great time - we cruised the Jewel not too long before she went into dry-dock and can't wait to see the updates. We're just under 6 weeks out from our next sailing on her. Being from Texas, we are super excited to be able to be within driving distance of the port and like the Saturday to Saturday trip too.

What did you do in Trujillo?

We were the alternate week...Roatan.

What transportation did you use from airport to port? did you stay the night before? We are booked at the Springhill Suite and are thinking of taking a taxi from the hotel the morning of the cruise. I am just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to do this.

I did all my usual research. We stayed at the Best Western Plus down near the port in Seabrook. They provided a free shuttle to the port on cruise morning, and also had a shuttle to just haul you around within 5 miles of the hotel if you wished. Very clean, very nice, but only a convenience/gas station and a Subway within walking distance. The whole port area is newly developed and pretty remote. Hotel price, including all the usual tax, $114 for 2 persons. I checked various transportation from Hobby to the hotel. Ended up with Super Shuttle for $68 for two persons. The return price from the port to Hobby was $46. Going down from Hobby, we were the only two passengers in the shuttle van. Going back, it was full. Very little wait delay either way. They run an efficient service with customer reps at both ends to get you going. We were completely happy with all involved, transportation and hotel. If you book with the hotel, ask them to reserve the shuttle time you want. We took the 10 am one and were at the head of the checkin. Worked great for us.

Edited by roger001

If we get towels from the pool area on the deck of the ship, do we have to pay for them?

I felt like I read somewhere that you have to pay for towels or something. If so that's quite weird. Why can't you just use the towels on the pool area, and return it when done?

Also question about luggage:

I have a small backpack that I plan on keeping on me after I get on the ship, but what about my giant (checked on the airline) bag with all of my clothes?

Am i allowed to roll it onto the ship and into my room? I dont know about you guys, but I feel a lot more comfortable if i can keep all my things with me/in my room.

If not, where do you leave your large bags before you embark- is this what they mean by deliver your bags to your stateroom?

I'd rather just carry mine on, is that possible?

Likewise, for disembarkation - I'd like to handle all of my own luggage? Is that possible as well? Or do you give up your bags and re-claim them (like on a flight)?

Sorry to ask so many questions!

You room has pool towels. Take them with you and you can swap them up on the pool deck as needed. Yes, if these big pool towels are accounted for. There should be two in your room when you disembark the last day or you will be charged for them. You can do whatever you wish, as long as they remain with NCL eventually. Baggage. To carry it on, it should be able to fit through an airport type scanner (slight bigger though). Otherwise, you need to check it. Checked bags will show up at your room door late afternoon or very early evening. Disembarkation. Yes, you can carry you own luggage off the ship. Those guests get to leave first. However, there will be no crew available to help you. You've got to do it yourself. Your room will usually be available about 1:30 on the first day. If you don't want to haul your hand carried luggage around until then, there will be an area to leave it. Just ask as you board. Questions...are good.

You room has pool towels. Take them with you and you can swap them up on the pool deck as needed. Yes, if these big pool towels are accounted for. There should be two in your room when you disembark the last day or you will be charged for them. You can do whatever you wish, as long as they remain with NCL eventually. Baggage. To carry it on, it should be able to fit through an airport type scanner (slight bigger though). Otherwise, you need to check it. Checked bags will show up at your room door late afternoon or very early evening. Disembarkation. Yes, you can carry you own luggage off the ship. Those guests get to leave first. However, there will be no crew available to help you. You've got to do it yourself. Your room will usually be available about 1:30 on the first day. If you don't want to haul your hand carried luggage around until then, there will be an area to leave it. Just ask as you board. Questions...are good.

Thanks for your response - on the checking your luggage comment - so my large 27" bag will be delivered to my room later right? Is there no way of carrying it on yourself (if you are able), I really would prefer to do that?

Thanks for your response - on the checking your luggage comment - so my large 27" bag will be delivered to my room later right? Is there no way of carrying it on yourself (if you are able), I really would prefer to do that?

Yes, will be delivered to your room. I'm not sure how big a 27 incher is. However, if it's like our biggest one (easy to load over 50 lbs in), just dragging it up the gangway and onto the ship, through the crowds boarding, onto an elevator, etc, major hassle for you and maybe even the other guests. I guess if you had to hand carry it as a critical need, you could get the security persons to bypass the scanner with it but then open and inspect all of it. But again, hassle for both you and them at a time when they are trying to process a huge number of guests quickly.