No HAL Ships in Boston Now........

sail7seas

Since the 1960's my family had sailed out of NYC in all weather during all 4 seasons. The winter sailings to the carib were wonderful 10 day to 2 week+ cruises. Never once did we have a problem...sometimes a couple of hours delay waiting for passengers but that was all.

The worst time of year to sail was always August thru November - aka Hurricane season - you were more likely to have a change or delay in itinerary during those months than during the winter.

On one world cruise on QE2 it was snowing when we sailed & it was spectacular...cold but spectacular. And the ocean liners of yore certainly handled the North Atlantic as no cruise ship would today. On other sailings - mostly in February you just put on your winter coats & a cocktail in hand had you taken care of until the ship sailed past the Statue of Liberty & under the Verrazano Bridge.. there's nothing like it!

I'd like to hear from others that sailed QE2/ Cunard , the French, Italian & Home Lines among others out of NYC during the winter.....I'd pick that instead of having to fly to Fla etc. annyday!

Evidently hundreds of flights have already been cancelled. Hope cruisers don't miss out because they can't fly!

Hope everything goes well for all those affected by the storm.

I'm not sure if I 'misheard' but think I heard 5,000 flights have been canceled on the East coast .

Our governor spoke a short time ago and declared all non-emergency or critical workers off the roads for 24 hours beginning midnight tonight. National Guard has already been called up.

Irony...... I went to refill some Rx at my local pharmacy and on the way home I stopped to buy a sandwich to bring for lunch. When I entered the store, there was only one other customer and it was my former TA with whom we booked dozens of cruises/trips. He closed his agency when the internet reservation takers made it hard for a small, local agency to thrive. We had a wonderful chat and it was great to see him. Of course, he was urging me to get some cruises booked. :D

Missed the fact you have a new kitten. Got a picture of her/him you could share?

Not a kitten. She's a full-grown, opinionated, cat. I adopted a 6-yr old female cat from a shelter.

I don't have a camera, so no pictures. Besides, she's coal black all over, so I doubt she would photograph well.

Not a kitten. She's a full-grown, opinionated, cat. I adopted a 6-yr old female cat from a shelter.

I don't have a camera, so no pictures. Besides, she's coal black all over, so I doubt she would photograph well.

That is so wonderful. To save a furbaby is so special. :)

Wishing all of you in the NE could send at least some of that troublesome white stuff to us in the SW who need it so much to abate our long drought and our coming fire season. We are - again, and still - below average for snow fall. Hoping for a wet spring here :|

I'm keeping in close touch with my single friend in Bristol RI who is scheduled to fly out Wednesday night on her first solo travels, a packaged tour trip! Hoping it all works out ok and everybody stays safe. (Trips can be rescheduled.) As a first responder I know that bad weather is the busiest and very dangerous. Blessings to all involved! m--

I'm keeping in close touch with my single friend in Bristol RI who is scheduled to fly out Wednesday night ....

Wednesday night? From Warwick?

That's touch & go right now. Sorry to say. The governor is expecting the clean-up to go into Thursday.

Wednesday night? From Warwick?

That's touch & go right now. Sorry to say. The governor is expecting the clean-up to go into Thursday.

Even worse... they are to fly out of Boston Logan... but on a plane to Iceland. The plane shuttles Boston - Iceland, so if they can get to the airport (a bus load of folks from Bristol) they should have a plane.... Iceland is forecast to be clear so if they get there they should see the Northern Lights! If....

But as I said, trips can be rescheduled. Better all stay safe. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

The problem for her, sadly, is possible they won't bring the plane into Boston's Logan. The airlines don't want their planes stuck on the ground and avoid airports where they know there are weather problems. I heard it reported this afternoon, the earliest we can expect any flights into/out of Logan is mid to late day Wednesday. That well could be limited activity for a few days. We won't know much until the storm ends and the real conditions are assessed.

We packed today for our upcoming departure this weekend. Didn't want to have to search for things in the dark if we lose power. Jet Blue assured me things would be back to normal by the weekend. Have I mentioned how much I hate the cold and winter? It gets harder to endure every year.

I hope everyone stays safe and warm.

Our news here tonight said more than 6500 flights have now been cancelled. I do hope they are over-estimating the ferociousness of this storm, and all the East will stay safe.

It has "just started" here. Out with the dogs and it is not fit for man or beast. winds are high already and really hard to see and fight the snow blowing in your face. How long the power holds is another question.

I am afraid they have not over-estimated.

Happy to report that my friend made it to Boston Logan form Bristol RI yesterday afternoon with no issues. Her plane was there (from Reykjavik) and left as scheduled back to Iceland staking them on a Northern Lights tour. I wish the passengers for the 7700 cancelled flights found a way to deal with it. Ouch.

I know there is still a mess in a lot of New England. Please be careful, especially of slips and falls, the number one reason people are hospitalized!

Tomorrow is our turn! predicting 6-12" not like your 2 feet but we'll take it! :) m--

Happy to report that my friend made it to Boston Logan form Bristol RI yesterday afternoon with no issues. Her plane was there (from Reykjavik) and left as scheduled back to Iceland staking them on a Northern Lights tour.

Happy to hear it (it's snowing here again; she made it out just in time).

Happy to report that my friend made it to Boston Logan form Bristol RI yesterday afternoon with no issues. Her plane was there (from Reykjavik) and left as scheduled back to Iceland staking them on a Northern Lights tour. I wish the passengers for the 7700 cancelled flights found a way to deal with it. Ouch.

I know there is still a mess in a lot of New England. Please be careful, especially of slips and falls, the number one reason people are hospitalized!

Tomorrow is our turn! predicting 6-12" not like your 2 feet but we'll take it! :) m--

So happy your friend's flight left as scheduled. Hope she has a wonderful trip.

It is snowing here again. My area is expecting about 4". Sigh .... :)

Hope our northern neighbors didn't get hit too hard by the blizzard

So happy your friend's flight left as scheduled. Hope she has a wonderful trip.

It is snowing here again. My area is expecting about 4". Sigh .... :)

Hope our northern neighbors didn't get hit too hard by the blizzard

4"? Count your blessings ;) We are expected to get another 30+ centimetres :eek: Starting tonight - uggher and another potential on Monday - double uggher:(

4"? Count your blessings ;) We are expected to get another 30+ centimetres :eek: Starting tonight - uggher and another potential on Monday - double uggher:(

Whoa....... that is serious snow.

They are watching that Monday storm for us, as well. They think it will be just off our coast but that, of course, puts it headed to you. I hope it veers further east and you miss it.

Be careful and stay warm.

Whoa....... that is serious snow.

They are watching that Monday storm for us, as well. They think it will be just off our coast but that, of course, puts it headed to you. I hope it veers further east and you miss it.

Be careful and stay warm.

Thanks. This is getting depressing. I don't mind snow but.....

We had a lot more snow than they were forecasting for our blizzard.....The weather network said we had 48 centimetres last time - I offered to get my measure out for them as we got more than that here. But we are more inland than Saint John. It's warmer here in the summer but in the winter, guaranteed we are going to pay the price. grrrrrr

I'd get on a cruise to escape but I doubt we could get outta' here - LOL.

I'm just tired of this stuff already

Edited by kazu

Thanks. This is getting depressing. I don't mind snow but.....

We had a lot more snow than they were forecasting for our blizzard.....The weather network said we had 48 centimetres last time - I offered to get my measure out for them as we got more than that here. But we are more inland than Saint John. It's warmer here in the summer but in the winter, guaranteed we are going to pay the price. grrrrrr

I'd get on a cruise to escape but I doubt we could get outta' here - LOL.

I'm just tired of this stuff already

My mistake but I thought you were in Saint John. :o

I just heard our local weather and they revised the forecast. We slightly north of Boston are predicted to get another 12" of snow (30 cm). Some areas just slightly south of Boston are expecting about 18" MORE inches. We have a lot of snow around here!!!! :D

It's funny but with all this snow and now it coming frequently, I'm relieved I'm home and not worrying about canceled flights and backed up airports. I'd be anxious worry would I get to FLL (or home) and how much dragging around would it involve. As long as I keep power, I'm happy to be home.

Has anyone heard from Innlady (Sheila)...I'm pretty sure they are living along the Massachusetts coastline....??

I saw a post from Sheila yesterday or day before so seems she is fine. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Has anyone heard from Innlady (Sheila)...I'm pretty sure they are living along the Massachusetts coastline....??

Sheila is fine. I haven't seen any posts from her on CC, but she's posted pictures on Facebook of Nantauket which got hit pretty hard. She's not there now, but is in the Boston area.

Edited by mamaofami