Is it bad to book 2 diff 1 way flights?

Flafun888

One of my dream trips would be a 7 day California coastal cruise - and I'd need a flight from FLL to the departure port of LAX. I can't find a single airline that has both the departure and return times I need.

1. Other than double the change fees if the trip is canceled, are there any other risks I should consider if I booked a 1-way on diff airlines? Both flights would be non-stop flights or 1 stop w/o plane change, so flight legs aren't an issue.

2. If I had to cancel for covered reasons, would most travel insurance still honor both flights or does booking 2 1 ways disqualify coverage?

Any insights from more experienced travelers would be welcome. Thanks!

There was an article in our Sunday paper about the fact that there are now many bargains in one way fares, unlike the past pricing structures. If you booked both trips with one of the online travel sites that handle multiple airlines, you might not even be double charged for change fees - read the fine print or see if it's covered in their FAQ. Just remember that the multi-airline sites don't show all airlines, with Southwest being the most obvious exception. Which reminds me - have you checked Southwest? They're often very competitive and don't charge a change fee or charge for the first 2 bags per person.

No reason not to book one way fares as long as your total cost is reasonable. Some of the best airlines such as Southwest (which has flights out of FLL) and JetBlue only deal with one-way fares. Those two airlines have caused most US carriers to offer reasonable one-way fares....

Hank

Just remember that the multi-airline sites don't show all airlines, with Southwest being the most obvious exception. Which reminds me - have you checked Southwest? They're often very competitive and don't charge a change fee or charge for the first 2 bags per person.

Thank you for the advice, Kartgv: I was ready to give up on the cruise if it would be a problem...and sounding like it may not be! :) Southwest was actually the first site I visited, as I like them best. But they only post flights a few months in advance, so I can't check for late fall yet. I entered some "ghost" dates for May and notice that many of their flights for this particular route aren't non-stop...and are much longer than Spirit, Virgin or JetBlue. But I'm going to recheck again.

Edited by Flafun888

We did the opposite: from CA to FL, no issues. One was AA through Alaska airlines (AA charges for one-way, Alaskan does not) - don't remember the other one, probably Southwest.

So great to hear it worked out for you. Thank you for commenting.

Edited by Flafun888

Just remember that the multi-airline sites don't show all airlines, with Southwest being the most obvious exception. Which reminds me - have you checked Southwest? They're often very competitive and don't charge a change fee or charge for the first 2 bags per person.

Thank you for the advice, Kartgv: I was ready to give up on the cruise if it would be a problem...and sounding like it may not be! :) Southwest was actually the first site I visited, as I like them best. But they only post flights a few months in advance, so I can't check for late fall yet. I entered some "ghost" dates for May and notice that many of their flights for this particular route aren't non-stop...and are much longer than Spirit, Virgin or JetBlue. But I'm going to recheck again.

Just a warning about Spirit. Their leg room is fit for midgets who would probably also be uncomfortable. Not sure we would want to be on a long flight with that airline.

Just a warning about Spirit. Their leg room is fit for midgets who would probably also be uncomfortable. Not sure we would want to be on a long flight with that airline.

Well this is actually one of those rare times in life that it pays to be "height challenged": I'm just 5 3...so can fit in any cubbyhole:D but DH will thank you for that warning. I really dislike flying in general anyway - it's why I love the idea of driving to a port and cruising. But living in FL, I get sun&sand every day, so I long for mountains, wine country, snow and other stuff most people are cruising to get AWAY from.

2. If I had to cancel for covered reasons, would most travel insurance still honor both flights or does booking 2 1 ways disqualify coverage?

Any insights from more experienced travelers would be welcome. Thanks!

None of us are insurance agents. I would suggest that you contact your insurance carrier and get a written answer, not a verbal one.

DON

Not sure why 2 one-way flights would be an issue. I do it all the time for my coastal cruises. Never gave it a second thought. There are tons of people who do 1-way rather than round trip Alaskan cruises, and I've never seen a post on CC saying anyone had insurance issues when they did this.

Roz

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Roz: glad to hear it's never been an issue for you and that you've not seen it mentioned as a problem on CC yet...which is a pretty good sign, since it seems everything is debated and discussed here down to the tiniest, most granular travel glitch. :D I did a forum search before even asking the question to see if I could find my answer and nothing came up.