Travel Insurance: Travel Guard or Princess Platinum?

KruzeKrazy!

We're going on a French Polynesia cruise which, of course, is fairly expensive especially when considering travel costs, etc.

We're both in our late 50s and pretty healthy so our greater concern is cancellation reimbursment, etc. or some emergency rather than known medical issues.

What are everyone's pros and cons comparing Travel Guard versus Princess Platinum?

We've never bought travel insurance for any prior cruises but think this one may be the time to start.

Thanks!

If your Platinum or Elite you qualify for the enhanced insurance program from Princess for the cost of the standard program!

You may also visit insuremytrip.com and compare the various pros & cons with insurance programs offered.You may also visit squaremouth.com for additional offerings.

Good luck!:)

Edited by TomCruises

We also use travel guard and had one claim 6 years ago. DW had a gall bladder attack on one of our Alaskan cruises. We were medi-evacuated in Sitka to a nursing home that had an emergency room. Spent 3 days there. DW discharged and called AMEX to get us out of there immediately. Flew back to Seattle via Juneau First Class. Stayed overnight in Seattle and made our original flight back home the next day. Insurance paid for 50% of the cruise cost refund (Penthouse Suite), air fare to Seattle, overnight in Seattle and 100% of the medical in Sitka. The total was well into 5 digits 85K. The insurance cost was less than $400 for both of us. Yes, you can get it cheaper, but TG works and pays. We never cruise or travel out of the country without TG Insurance.

We also use travel guard and had one claim 6 years ago. DW had a gall bladder attack on one of our Alaskan cruises. We were medi-evacuated in Sitka to a nursing home that had an emergency room. Spent 3 days there. DW discharged and called AMEX to get us out of there immediately. Flew back to Seattle via Juneau First Class. Stayed overnight in Seattle and made our original flight back home the next day. Insurance paid for 50% of the cruise cost refund (Penthouse Suite), air fare to Seattle, overnight in Seattle and 100% of the medical in Sitka. The total was well into 5 digits 85K. The insurance cost was less than $400 for both of us. Yes, you can get it cheaper, but TG works and pays. We never cruise or travel out of the country without TG Insurance.

Wow, this is some testimonial! As I said previously, I am a Travel Guard fan.

If your Platinum or Elite you qualify for the enhanced insurance program from Princess for the cost of the standard program!

You may also visit insuremytrip.com and compare the various pros & cons with insurance programs offered.You may also visit squaremouth.com for additional offerings.

Good luck!:)

Even 1st time on Princess, you can pay a little more and get the upgraded insurance that has the higher coverage for medical and evacuaton.

We're going on a French Polynesia cruise which, of course, is fairly expensive especially when considering travel costs, etc.

We're both in our late 50s and pretty healthy so our greater concern is cancellation reimbursment, etc. or some emergency rather than known medical issues.

What are everyone's pros and cons comparing Travel Guard versus Princess Platinum?

We've never bought travel insurance for any prior cruises but think this one may be the time to start.

Thanks!

We started buying insurance a few years ago simply because our parents are elderly and ailing. We have always used Travel Guard (highly recommended by our TA) and it always covered both our cruise and airfare. It was a minimal expense we thought. About 3 years ago my FIL was diagnosed with terminal cancer in November and in January we decided to cancel our February cruise. Just called the TA and told him the situation. Three weeks later we received a check for the total amount. So seamless. Never filled out any paperwork. I will stick with Travel Guard.

You will pay extra for cancel for any reason benefit.Princess also offers 100% cruise credit. And of course,you have the option of paying the difference for the better coverage vs the standard policy.But we sure enjoy the upgraded coverage at no extra charge!

We book airfare independently as well so that looks like a key difference. Thanks.

As two typical type A personalities, my sister and I always book our own flights.

When we used the Princess insurance due to a medical evacuation from Costa Rica in 2012 they covered the cost of our new plane tickets (first class for Mom and her wonderful nurse and coach for my sister and I) and our unused, non-refundable Southwest plane tickets, our hotel and meals for 10 days in San Jose, Costa Rica, moms hospital bill for 10 days, and the cost of the nurse she needed to travel home. They would have brought us home in a limo from Las Vegas, Nevada back to Arizona except our car was in Las Vegas. I can't say enough good things about Princess and their insurance.