Tell me about the Waterfront on Breakaway

Kroozen

What exactly is the waterfront on the Breakaway? Is it a promenade deck, but with bars and restaurants on it? My favorite place on any ship is the promenade, so I'd be disappointed if they got rid of it. Can you still walk all the way around the ship? Thanks!

What exactly is the waterfront on the Breakaway? Is it a promenade deck, but with bars and restaurants on it? My favorite place on any ship is the promenade, so I'd be disappointed if they got rid of it. Can you still walk all the way around the ship? Thanks!

Deck 8 is the top level of "678 Ocean Place", and houses many of the specialty restaurants, bars, performance venues, and duty free shopping. There is a corridor that runs down the centerline of the ship (similar to decks 6 & 7 below), as well as the Warerfront.

The Waterfront consists of outdoor deck space with some oversized (comfy) chairs and outdoor seating for many of the indoor venues on deck 8 (Cagneys, Moderno, Shakers, etc.). The outdoor deck starts and ends at the forward elevator lobby (which, on BA, is really more midship than forward) and wraps around the aft of the ship. There are access doors at the aft elevator lobby and at most of the larger venues along deck 8. You'll also find Ocean Blue on the Waterfront (a la carte stand, separate from the restaurant) and Dolce Gelato outside (although Carlo's Bake Shop, which shares space with Dolce, has an indoor counter).

If you're looking for a traditional Promanade deck, like you'd find on RCCL ships, you're going to be disappointed here. Yes, deck 8 has most of the same features as you'd find on a Royal Promenade, but without the high ceilings and art installations. That being said, the Waterfront is a great place to sit and read on those long sea days (weather permitting, of course), especially if you don't care for the overly cramped pool area on deck 15.

Just note there could be times it is not open during the day. There was one day during our trip last March it was too windy and they had that section unavailable by placing placards by the doors to go outside or the yellow caution tape over the doors.

If it is the same as the Getaway, it goes about 2/3 of the way around the ship, but stops on both sides, not going around the front. However, for continuous walking, where it ends is automatic doors you can walk though and be out on the other side to continue in just a few seconds. Not a true Promenade, but not bad.

You will love the a Waterfront. To combat all of the eating we would try to walk 3 miles a day on it - our app measured each lap at roughly 1/3 of a mile. In the morning we would walk and it would be empty except for some people hanging out at Shakers. They put some self serve coffee and pastry stations up around the ship so you can grab a snack or walk with your coffee.

Our only complaint was that the doors/windows don't actually open up to the inside portion of the venue to essentially make the whole place open to the warm breeze. The restaurants I can understand but we loved listening to the music at Fat Cats and were hoping to sit outside and listen. If you are lucky they turn on speakers so you can hear the music but it's still different than hearing it live... Come on NCL would it be so hard to open a window here or there :)

We will be on the Getaway in a few weeks. I was wondering if you can sit in these comfy chairs during the daytime, if you are not ordering from the restaurants? Do they just leave the outdoor seating available for people to enjoy during the day or is it only accessible by walking through the restaurants?

Edited by Windy56

The big comfy wicker chairs on Breakaway's Waterfront are for use by anyone, by day or night.

We slept in two of them while waiting to disembark.

At night we had drinks on the Waterfront outside Malting's and Fat Cats. You can hear the music out there.

Have fun!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

July 2014 Breakaway

November 2015 Breakaway