Live from the Royal Princess, January 28- February 7: The Move-Over Boomerang Cruise

TracieABD

Hi, why do you post the same picture of the webcam over and over on every page of this thread? Seems redundant for those of us reading the thread.

A link to the bridge web cam is being posted, not a picture from a moment in time.

Thus, although the view may have been meaningful to a post at the time, when the post is seen later it will be a different view, whatever the web cam is currently showing.

Its not the same picture, it updates!!!

The ship is at sea, thus the water view. :rolleyes:

Don't be a hater. :(

Asking a question about a picture showing the same view on every page does not make anyone a "hater". Don't be so defensive. :eek:

Have a good day!

Tracie-Lynn,

Thank you very much for your live 'essays'. This has been a thoroughly enjoyable thread. Normally, I lose interest in a 'live from' forum, but I looked forward to your posts every day. I loved every one of your posts.

Thanks, again. Have a safe, uneventful trip home.

Safe Journeys, Paul

Hi friends-

I am home. Yay!!!! and Boo!!! I am really happy to see my husband and my fur-children, but I am completely baffled by how I will possibly get that napkin in my lap or pepper on my entree. What is a girl to do?

For us, our flight home was completely uneventful, except for two things. The first, while waiting to board in FLL, a man was brought off a plane by the EMS. He kept insisting that he felt fine and that he was going on a cruise. His wife, however, told a different story of him clutching his heart, losing conciousness and ceasing to breath on the flight. He made a valiant attempt at refusing medical care, but in the end, his wife won the day and off to the hospital they went. My guess is that he is probably not going to make that ship. He already had a stint, so that mean by-pass is next. (My mom had a quintuple by-pass in 2008, a week after we got off a Baltic cruise--- she has already gotten 7 years of stolen time! In many matters, the heart trumps all. :))

The second incedent was the flight from FLL to ATL. It was a packed flight. I was at the window, my mom was center seat, and the woman on the aisle put her luggage and bags under her foot section and my mom's, too. So my mom had no where to put her feet for the short flight. Then she pulled out a copy of 50 Shades of Gray, probably not your most optimal in-flight reading material. What a strange woman.

The rest is blur. The upshot, I am home. My luggage is home. My mom and her stuff are safely installed at her home across the street.

It was a great cruise. And when I am feeling a little better, I promise to post my final impressions and thoughts.

You have been wonderful traveling companions, and I have loved the feedback from this live-from.

I promise...

More later!

Tracie-Lynn :) :)

February 5, 2015

Come close, readers.... Let me whisper in your ears the most magical three words in all the languages in all the world...

Goat. Cheese. Souffle.

I concur completely! We have even had it delivered when we accidentally booked Crown Grill on the night i was served in the MDR!

I just wanted to say how much we have enjoyed reading your Live From - every minute of it! :)

Thanks so much for taking us along!

Hi friends-

The second incedent was the flight from FLL to ATL. It was a packed flight. I was at the window, my mom was center seat, and the woman on the aisle put her luggage and bags under her foot section and my mom's, too. So my mom had no where to put her feet for the short flight. Then she pulled out a copy of 50 Shades of Gray, probably not your most optimal in-flight reading material. What a strange woman.

I think I would have told that woman that she needed to find a new spot for her luggage. So not fair to mom!

I think I could get used to the napkin thing again, but the chocolate on the pillow, fresh towels twice a day, and someone to make my bed? And we won't even talk about just sitting down and eating, no grocery, planning, cooking setting tables. . .

Welcome home! Glad the fur babies were left in capable hands, or was hubby left in fur paws???:rolleyes:

I just read all of your live thread and it was very entertaining. It was very disappointing that we could not dock in Dominica. I was looking forward to talking with you and getting to know you on the private tour.

I was very happy with the turnout of officers at the M&G and so surprised when they gave me a rose for my birthday.

Hope you are feeling better and maybe we'll meet on another cruise.

Barb

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

"Yum, I am craving some lutefisk", said no person EVER. (for those of you who are lutefisk virgins (stay that way)--lutefisk is a white fish or cod that is dried into a plank that could compete with granite on a Moh's Scale of hardness. And then, to add insult to injury-- it is reconstituted with lye. Yep, that's right. Lye- the stuff of the super harsh soap of yore. If you need more information on lye, watch Fight Club. And Swedes, bless their little sub-Artic hearts, eat this. No matter how Swedish my pedigree, I will never be able to stomach lutefisk. And you should trust me on this. Pass it by. Lutefisk should never be on anyone's bucket list.)

ROFL. My mom was Swedish. Lutefisk every Christmas Eve with Oyster Soup. . .OMG. Horrendous. The local Scandinavian Club has a lutefisk dinner at Christmas. I can't do it. However, I did travel to Sweden and as I love herring, I was never at a loss for something to eat. It's not a favorite of many, however.

Lani

ROFL. My mom was Swedish. Lutefisk every Christmas Eve with Oyster Soup. . .OMG. Horrendous. The local Scandinavian Club has a lutefisk dinner at Christmas. I can't do it. However, I did travel to Sweden and as I love herring, I was never at a loss for something to eat. It's not a favorite of many, however.

Lani

I just keep thinking about all of those poor little Swedish children... Forced to eat not yummy food. Maybe we should take up a collection for them!

I hate that it has taken me so long to get back to this and give my final thoughts. When this happens, a thread loses a bit of its momentum.

Firstly (and lastly), I want to thank you for hanging in with me. In re-reading this, I spent a lot of time whinging about being sick. Still, I would rather have a cold on a cruise than suffer it a work. :) Sorry about that. Cold-gate 2015 Update!!- Cold??? What cold??? :confused:

This was a pretty unique cruise for me, as there were a number of things I did not do that I always do:

1. I did not play any trivia. None. Nada. However, for those of you who are interested, the Amazing "Ds" were on-board. I heard they were cleaning it up! For those of you who don't know, the D's are one of Princess's Most Traveled Passengers EVER (they are up to 8 million days or something like that-- Really, it is 2600+). They are trivia masters and pretty competitive. They are also really nice people who are living many of our dreams.
  2. I did not have a crepe at Gelatos. I tried a couple of times, but my timing was just off. For those of you on the Royal or Regal, sometimes you can get crepes Gelato's and it costs 1 punch!!!
  3. I did have one brownie sundae in Gelato's. That is more ice cream than I eat in a calendar year.
  4. I rarely ate dessert. Sweets just did not appeal to me on this cruise. Though the desserts I had, especially the Norman Love desserts, were divine.
  5. I did not jog every day. In case you missed it, I had a cold. Nuf' 'sed.
  6. I did not take yoga. They only offered it twice. If you have never taken a ship-board yoga class, please do. Especially if the boat is a bit tippy. Yoga becomes hilarious, with the participants gracefully falling out of balance poses in unison. Epic!
  7. I did not get it together to do the Komen. My bad. (Did I mention I had a cold?)
  8. I did not do any formal nights. That was increadbly freeing. I may not do too many in the future.
  9. I socialized very little. Holding a conversation was a major ordeal.
  10. I did not have a million activities planned (and executed in every port). Heck, in two ports, I barely got off the ship.
  11. I did not keep a maddening pace that left me exhausted and bereft of energy.

I did however get to do some new things:

1. I relaxed.
  2. I watched three entire movies.
  3. I skipped a few meals.
  4. I got 12 hours of sleep on 3 different nights (that would be 36 hours total-- not my usual 4 hours a night).
  5. I returned home rested (albiet a bit stuffy).
  6. I met a couple of my cruising "heroes", and I don't think I offended them!
  7. I played a lot of my time by ear.
  8. I had a wonderful time. (Well, that is not new, but I just wanted to work it in).

My overall impressions of the Royal are WOW!!!! That is one gorgeous ship! It is bigger and you really feel it. And I hate to jump on the redundantly, repetitive bandwagon (also, too), but I missed that darn center staircase. Yep. There. I said it. It was not a make or break issue, but all the same, I hope that they find a way to convert the staff staircase in a future dry dock. Other than that, I loved the ship. I did not miss the Promenade Deck. I did not really care about the size of the balcony (and I did spend some time on the balcony-- which is unusual for me). I like the addition of the Concierge Lounge. I liked that you could find a seat in the Atrium almost always. I like the soft, warm decor. I really liked the photos from passengers that lined the hallways. And mostly, I LOVED the captain and crew of this ship. These were some seriously gracious and hard-working people. That is what I will take away from this trip: the amazing crew aboard the Royal Princess IV. I hope that corporate realizes what a gem they have on that behemoth!

It was a great cruise. Not my best (that would be South America), but it ranked right up there. It might be my favorite ship, though (remember... no flaming). I liked all of the bells and whistles. And face it, folks, nothing beats that new ship smell!

I really appreciate your coming along with me. Heck, if I could have squeezed you all in my luggage and still made weight allowance, I would have totally done that!

Still willing to answer questions and chat until the steam runs out on this thread.

And just to keep my "lastly" promise- Thank you for sailing along with me. You made lovely traveling companions!

Done!

Tracie-Lynn :):)

Edited by TracieABD

Just read all of your thread and it was very entertaining. We were on this cruise also and I was able to relive the cruise by reading this. Over all it was a great cruise. Thank you for taking the time to write this, it was enjoyable.

Tracy, we loved the Royal and Regal too. In fact, our November cruise on the Regal was one of our best ever because of the ship, food and service. Can't wait to sail again on the Royal, which is coming up the end of April for the Spring TA.

Thanks again for a wonderful live thread--love you writing style!

Tracie-Lynn, you gave me so much to look forward to for my March 29 cruise. I hope I can remember to try the Volcano. I normally don't bother with the desserts, but I'm a sucker for a banana split.

You also reminded me to add cold meds to my packing list. A Vicks inhaler is a Godsend when you're stuffy, although I think breathing horseradish fumes would really open you up.

I won't miss the central staircase because my knees don't do the down thing well. I hope the lifts aren't a pain, though, as some have reported. I'm trying to talk myself into the buffet on formal nights, but I always think about what I'm missing on the MDR menu.

I have really really enjoyed sailing vicariously on your cruise, and hope you get to cruise often and take us with you.

Thanks, friends, for the kind words.

It is a funny thing about "live-froms"... I often subscribe to them, and really enjoy reading them. I feel it is only right to create one when I cruise. I do like what Vickie (of Vickie & Bernie fame) has done. She has created an actual blog-spot. I do some land travel as well, and this would give those trips a home too.

Corsage- I hope you had a great cruise. I really loved the ship and crew. I felt they were both top-notch.

HRPro- I hope your April TA is fun and relaxing aboard the beautiful Royal.

Jagsfan- I know you are going to have an amazing cruise in just 6 short weeks!!!!

Thanks!