Return to HAL!

Lauranne

Greetings all.

I has been many months since I have read this board and I'm glad to be back. Last year we did the Galapagos with Silver Sea but this July we are back with HAL. I have booked a 7 day Canada/New England cruise on The Maasdam to celebrate my daughter's high school graduation. It will just be the two of us as DH likes to spend some of the summer at home. We will be spending a month at the west coast later in the summer so he decided not to come with us.

I have always book a verandah suite on past cruises but to follow a bit of a budget, I thought that we would give a Lanai stateroom a try (CA 361).

Any port/excursion suggestions or any other information regarding The Massdam would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, :)

Laurie

Thanks Cruz chick. I am considering the bike ride through Acadia National Park. Both of us are active. The 18 year old very much so :D. My oldest daughter lived in Halifax for 5 years so we have been to Peggy's cove twice and pretty much everything else at least once. We may choose to just walk about and go to our favourite seafood restaurant, McKelvies, for lunch.

Thanks again,

Laurie

A word about the Lanai cabins... People can see inside them if the light is on inside and the shades are open at night. Understandable if you think about it, but this is something not everybody considers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings all.

I has been many months since I have read this board and I'm glad to be back. Last year we did the Galapagos with Silver Sea but this July we are back with HAL. I have booked a 7 day Canada/New England cruise on The Maasdam to celebrate my daughter's high school graduation. It will just be the two of us as DH likes to spend some of the summer at home. We will be spending a month at the west coast later in the summer so he decided not to come with us.

I have always book a verandah suite on past cruises but to follow a bit of a budget, I thought that we would give a Lanai stateroom a try (CA 361).

Any port/excursion suggestions or any other information regarding The Massdam would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, :)

Laurie

Welcome back!!!!

Since it's been a while since you've been here, you might not know about the new website. If you go to http://www.halfacts.com you will find the dining room layouts, cabin pics, etc. by clicking the S class at the top of the page.

If you click on the General Info tab, you will find all kinds of great stuff - Menus, On Locations, Specialty dining, and much more info.

the website exists thanks to Cruise Critic members' contributions who have been on the ships.

There is also a sticky at the top of the HAL board.

Love this ship - hope you have a great cruise!

I did a Maasdam New England trip about 15 years ago (yikes, how time flies!). In Bar Harbor I took a sea-kayaking excursion that I really enjoyed. The kayaks were mostly 2-seaters and some teamwork was required to make it go where it was supposed to. That could be a good relationship-builder (or -tester, depending on how it goes! ;) ) for you and you daughter.

I've been on the Maasdam since they added the Lanai cabins, but I didn't stay in one. I'm not convinced that immediate access to the promenade deck is worth the potential privacy issues, especially when the standard Outside cabins on the lower decks are the same size (if not slightly larger) and usually less costly.

And speaking of the Maasdam, I'm watching her right now on the Port Aruba webcam!

... I thought that we would give a Lanai stateroom a try (CA 361).

If you want a lanai cabin (Alcarondas is right---they are smaller than the outsides lower in the ship), you have made a good selection.

Your cabin is forward of mid-ship, so it is not under the galley. It's under the area of the Wajang Theatre, so should be very quiet at night. It's also near a door to the outside, but not next to it, so you shouldn't hear the door slam, which happens sometimes.

Thank you for the information.

Kazu: I was still reading the boards when you and your team started Halfacts. I was amazed at all the contributions from CC members. It is a wealth of information.

IRL_Joanie: Thanks for the link. I will take time to check it out.

Alcarondas: I was so happy to hear how much you enjoyed the Maasdam and the Canada/New England cruise. We have sea kayaked on a number of occasions so this and biking are in the running.

Ruth: As always you are a great source of information. I am happy that our choice of cabin is a good location. We like the idea of immediate access to the deck.

I had looked at a Vista suite but as I am able to pay for a Lanai as well as our airfare for the same amount as the suite it seemed the right thing to do.

I have booked tickets to Anne of Green Gables, The Musical in Charlottetown. We saw this play last year in Calgary but as my daughter is a Classical singer who performs pieces from musicals, we are happy to see it again.

Laurie

Hello Sail,

I remember that you and your husband have sailed this ship and itinerary many times. I have just recently become aware that your husband passed last spring. Although it is very late may I offer my condolences and wish you smooth sailings in the future.

Laurie

A word about the Lanai cabins... People can see inside them if the light is on inside and the shades are open at night. Understandable if you think about it, but this is something not everybody considers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can speak from experience. We were walking the promenade one evening when we came upon the lanai rooms. there for ALL the world to see was a totally naked woman giving herself a pedicure on her bed.:eek: Keep those curtains closed at night people!

I also speak from experience. If the curtain is closed at night no one can see in. During daylight the windows are tinted and you have to be within inches of the window to see anything inside. Anything you did see inside would appear as a vague shadow when pressing our nose against the window. We were in a Lanai cabin on the Veendam and confirmed this for ourselves.

I also speak from experience. If the curtain is closed at night no one can see in. During daylight the windows are tinted and you have to be within inches of the window to see anything inside. Anything you did see inside would appear as a vague shadow when pressing our nose against the window. We were in a Lanai cabin on the Veendam and confirmed this for ourselves.

IF the curtains are closed, that is true... And yes, you cannot see in during the day. But at night, you can see right in if the curtains are opened. I have spent time on Veendam too ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums