Drink package

Rob9999

Worth it?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Worth it?

• Yes
    • No

If you get the 'house' drink the cost is the lowest price. My house wine is $6.50, my husband's T&T, Tanqueray (gin) and tonic is $6.75. $15.25 for both of us after about a $2 tip. However on most ships everyone in the cabin has to buy the package. Also ask if the 15% tip is included with the package. When I bought a wine package for $115, the total charged to me was $135 with the tip! The price of the package did not include the tip.

We didn't think it was worth it so won't by a package again. Are both both going to drink $70 of alcohol a DAY?

"Worth" it really depends on the individual. Many drink enough over a cruise to make it a great deal. However, for others it is a waste of money.

When figuring if it is a good deal for you, keep in mind that when you are in port, you will be paying for any drinks. So if you are planning several long days ashore, it may not work out as well.

For us Its worth it to get the Royal Replenish package. We are not big drinkers but like frozen drinks by the pool. My DH lives on soda and I live on bottled water. If we want alcohol we can just get a shot to add to our frozen drink.

When going on an excursion we can grab a few bottles of water for the day.

side note RCCL drink packages (for alcohol) are 45 & 55 pp per day

It all depends on you: what you like to drink & how much.

We spent about $50 more on alcohol then we would have if we got the package but $300 of that was on stuff not included (good bottles of wine) so for us it's not worth it.

My wife is wondering if the drink package on RCL is a good deal? I think its $35 a day , how much do mixed drinks or a glass of wine cost?

Thanks

Depends on the drinks. If you drink more than 5 or 6 per day including fancy coffees then go for it.

For us Its worth it to get the Royal Replenish package. We are not big drinkers but like frozen drinks by the pool. My DH lives on soda and I live on bottled water. If we want alcohol we can just get a shot to add to our frozen drink.

When going on an excursion we can grab a few bottles of water for the day.

side note RCCL drink packages (for alcohol) are 45 & 55 pp per day

We like this package as well.

My wife is wondering if the drink package on RCL is a good deal? I think its $35 a day , how much do mixed drinks or a glass of wine cost?

Thanks

Originally, I did not think it was worth it. But now that RCI allows you to purchase it individually instead of making every person on the same account purchase it, I do think it's worth it.

Not worth it to us because we never, or very rarely, drink. We don't even drink pop much. I've never even bought a drink on a cruise except hot chocolate once in Alaska.

Not really teetootellers, just don't really 'get' what's so great about it. But, we've fine with other people enjoying their drinks and the drink package.

Not worth it to us because we never, or very rarely, drink. We don't even drink pop much. I've never even bought a drink on a cruise except hot chocolate once in Alaska.

Not really teetootellers, just don't really 'get' what's so great about it. But, we've fine with other people enjoying their drinks and the drink package.

I only drink a glass of milk and tap water every day. My husband will only drink a couple sodas or juice when we eat out. We are traveling on the Jewel (RC) and don't know what we can drink for "free" without a drink package. How/what can we drink?

You can always get hot & ice tea, coffee and after breakfast lemonade any time in the buffet, even when the buffet itself is closed. On some ships you have to ask for milk in the buffet at lunch time. They have it but then it's not out. My husband gets his milk by asking for it at dinner.

There's "alcohol" and then there are fine wines and spirits (and even the occasional craft beer).

If you ever make your way to Northern California, some Sonoma and Mendocino reserve Pinot Noirs may convert you.

Likewise, some classic cocktails with great stories of their creation and the original recipe (e.g., a real Mai Tai or Sazerac or Aviation) are pleasant experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did not answer your poll as there is not one simple answer to your question, it really depends on a number of factors such as:

How much do you normally drink when on vacation?

What type of drinks do you have?

Do you drink bottled waters, soda, etc on top of alcohol drinks?

Do you like the fresh squeezed orange juices at breakfast?

Do you enjoy the specialty coffees?

What is your itinerary?

Do you have a lot of ports stops or days at sea?

Are the port stops short early ones or longer later days?

Do any of your port stops include a cruise line "private" island (you can use your package there)?

What do you expect to be doing in port, will you have quiet days or strenuous ones that may make you end your day early?

I could go on but you get the point I hope. We have done the package on some cruises and it worked well for us, but passed on others. Think about the questions above and see it is a good thing for you on your particular trip. Nobody else can answer that for you.

Edited by akcruz

There's "alcohol" and then there are fine wines and spirits (and even the occasional craft beer).

If you ever make your way to Northern California, some Sonoma and Mendocino reserve Pinot Noirs may convert you.

Likewise, some classic cocktails with great stories of their creation and the original recipe (e.g., a real Mai Tai or Sazerac or Aviation) are pleasant experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, I have wine occasionally, usually at holidays or family dinners. However, I really only like sweet wines. My ex brother-in-law actually managed one of the big wineries in the Napa Valley. They used to send us really, really 'good' wine, very expensive, since he got it either wholesale or free.

Unfortunately, it was so 'good' that neither my husband or I could drink it--way too dry. You can see we are just not connoisseurs.

The only reason I care at all is if prices are raised to compensate for all the free alcohol, since we don't get much if any benefit from it. It seems to me that prices are definitely higher since they started doing the free drink packages, but I haven't researched it enough to really know.

I guess if we got it and the free grats and OBC, like some offers, we'd probably use it for water, pop, coffee, etc. But, the thing is we never do this now and really don't miss it. Just more calories!

I do not know about the other cruise lines, but in the Princess section of Cruise Critic, there is a spreadsheet you can use to estimate which plan(s) are right for you and which are not. It is based on the Princess prices for drinks.

There may be similar tools in the section for other cruise lines.