HAL vs Princess, Oosterdam vs Zaandam

DonRobertoSanJuan

The Oosterdam is larger than the Zaandam; two different classes of ships. I've not been on either ship so can't offer any more than that. The hydropool is likely larger on the Oosterdam, if that matters to you.

When comparing between either itinerary or even between HAL or Princess, look at the port times carefully. Does the port time allow you enough time to do what you want to do in that port? Alaska is all about the itinerary, not the ship or even the cruise line. Also watch for the little codes, like SC (service call). When used in conjunction with Tracy Arm, it usually means that the ship does NOT go into Tracy Arm but stops to pick up people on a tour. You would have to go on that tour to see TA, on that particular itinerary.

If this is your first time to Alaska, try an itinerary with Glacier Bay. You're more likely to get into GB than Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier. If the itinerary includes two of the above, even better.

Whichever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

We are looking to book an Alaska North bound cruise and see pretty much the same itineraries for HAL and Princess. Which one would you choose? With HAL we have the choice between the Oosterdam and the Zaandam. Is there any difference between them? Appreciate any suggestions.

I would look at what the differences are in the itineraries and how long the ship is in the ports and compare.

Zaandam is an R class ship and smaller than the Oosterdam which is a Vista class ship.

If you want to take a look at the cabins on the ships, you can see them at http://www.halfacts.com Click on R class for the Zaandam & Vista for the Oosterdam. Don't worry if the cabins are of another ship in that class. They are similar. There is also a general info tab at the top. Click on that and you will find menus, On Locations, Specialty Restaurants and other good stuff.

We are looking to book an Alaska North bound cruise and see pretty much the same itineraries for HAL and Princess. Which one would you choose? With HAL we have the choice between the Oosterdam and the Zaandam.

I've sailed both Princess and HAL. The Princess ships might be a little more active, but they are also a lot more crowded. I recommend the HAL Vista Class ship (Oosterdam).

With 4 HAL cruises and 1 Princess cruise under our belts, we faced the "HAL or Princess" question for our planned Alaska cruise later this year. We ended up choosing Princess, specifically the Grand Princess. Reasons: we felt the food quality in the MDR on Princess was much superior to our last 2 HAL cruises. MDR service far, far better than our last 2 times on HAL. In general, staff seemed friendlier. The International Café and Alfredo's were great and frequently used. Much better lecturer program than we've ever experienced on HAL. In all honesty, HAL's Lido was superior to the Princess buffet, but we got around that via the International Café and Alfredo's. Shows aren't important to us either way.

Everyone's mileage, and taste, and priorities of course vary. Our Zuiderdam experience on a partial Canal transit was bad enough to have put us off HAL, and with the exception of a specialized itinerary like Alaska, we have pretty much decamped to Oceania.

HAL vs Princess.... Things I noticed....

• HAL offered photo packages... I was going poor with Princess buying all their pictures.
  • The Princess ship I was considering offered more quad occupancy rooms.
  • Princess has a big outdoor screen. It was too cold for me to use. Perhaps better in the Carribean.
  • any issues with Tendering? Are both ships docked in Juneau?

I like sailing out of Vancouver and taking the Inside Passage instead of the Seattle departure. And I always go for the most glacier opportunities available.... that's why I take an Alaska cruise!

Princess rooms (for those of us who aren't booking suites) don't usually (Ocean Princess is an exception) have a couch in the room until you get to suites level. I miss the couch a lot on Princess, even in a Balcony room with chairs on the balcony. But I do it when there's reason.

Zaandam, being an R class ship, will have fewer balcony rooms than on a Vista class HAL ship (Oosterdam in your case) so those may be priced higher on Zaandam. Oosterdam IMHO is maybe the most elegant ship I've been on.

I'm 3 star on HAL [150 credits] and Platinum on Princess [82 credits]. I like getting some free WiFi on Princess but I wouldn't pick my cruise based on the $100 I'll spend on HAL for an internet package. Happy planning.

m--

i have done both ships and LOOOOOVE the Oosterdm. It is a beautiful well maintained elegant ship. I was not impressed with Zaandam as we had one problem after another (including bedbugs) just left a bad taste.