Packing 101

jer99

We are soooo much smarter with packing getting ready for our 30ish cruise than we were for our first. To each their own and all that - I can only speak for myself. I do not want the hassle of schlepping around two full suitcases per person, nor do I want to pay the extra airline fee -$25 here, $25 there, it all adds up. I confess having free laundry as a perk for being Elite+ helps a lot, but if I didn't have it I would consider paying for some laundry rather than bringing a ton of clothes.

I couldn't care less if someone sees me in something twice. I most definitely wear my pairs of black slacks over and over again. I will wear my dressy tops twice without a qualm. For formal night, those same black slacks pair up with some fancier tops and jewelry (which I might switch up each night). If the dress shoes don't go with most everything they don't go (and there are only two pairs of those, mostly in case something were to happen to one of them). I have one purse for daytime, and one for evening.

For daytime when it is hot, I often wear the same shorts more than once but will change tops if I have been out walking around on shore. Can't understand why anyone needs to bring more than one or two swimsuits and cover-ups.

I am not criticizing someone who gets a thrill out of showing off a bunch of new outfits - go for it if it makes you happy. But for me, less is more.

As you said, to each his own. I didn't know less luggage makes you smarter. I guess we learn something new every day. I guess it takes me a lot longer to learn as I've been on more than 100 cruises and also traveled most of the world. My luggage has never caused a problem for me. Hmm, how is that possible. By the way, I can handle my own and I'm no spring chicken.

Edited by Ma Bell

Okay...here's a standard packing list I wrote several years ago.

(I posted on Cruise Critic...and...after that, it was plagerized in several places around the net--with attribution!!):

standard packing list

For a seven night cruise:

Men: One small carry-on size rolling bag.

7 pairs undershorts

5 pairs socks (Don't need them for at-sea days)

4 T-Shirts (we'll pick up a few more as souvenirs along the way)

1 pair shorts (They're good for at least a week)...

1 pair long pants (only because they make you wear them in the dining room)

1 pair shoes

1 Swim suit

NO Suit or Tuxedo (Rent it on the ship so you don't have to schlep it all the way there and back)

Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Razor

Camera

Women: One large suitcase for Casual clothes

One Large Suitcase for Formal clothes

One large duffel bag for shoes

One suitcase for toiletries, cosmetics, creams, shampoo/conditioners, lotions, etc.

One suitcase for purses, accessories, grooming equipment, travel irons, steamers, etc.

One carry-on with hairbrushes, vitamins, pain relievers and other prescriptions, cosmetics that they forgot to put in the suitcase, last minute items needed past packing of other suitcases.

One purse the size of a suitcase filled with all the usual junk: lipstick, chewing gum, mints, keys that she can't even remember what they go to and don't need on the cruise anyway, photos of the kids, credit cards for every department store and shop known to man, even ones no longer in business, gym membership card she never uses, hair pins, loose change, old candy wrappers, mints from the restaurant she ate at a month and a half ago, that bag of peanuts from the flight in on Southwest...and so on ad infinitum...

Specifics:

14 panties (one pair each day plus one for evening)

20 hose or pantyhose (accounts for 7 evenings as at least half or more will run while putting them on)

7 casual skirts and/or Bermuda shorts (something that covers the knees and most of the imagined cellulite)

7 casual blouses or tops...actually, make that 14 as most "outfits" require a top covered by a blouse hanging over it)

[NOTE: One can never be seen wearing the SAME outfit TWICE!!]

7 pairs of "casual" shoes...as each "outfit" must be particularly coordinated with the precisely perfect pair of shoes

5 dressier skirts and/or pairs of slightly dressy slacks for casual evenings

4 formal gowns (Yes, I know that there are only two formal nights, but one won't look exactly right and she'll need to put it back and wear something else...and a second won't fit right anymore by the end of the cruise)

5 more pair of slightly dressy shoes...and...

4 pairs of "formal" shoes (again, each "outfit" must be coordinated with the proper shoes)

[NOTE: All formal gowns and formal shoes MUST be purchased special for the cruise. God forbid someone on the cruise MAY have been at your niece Jessica's wedding in June and has already seen you in that gown!!]

Assorted (meaning at least 10 of each) belts, scarves, etc. A woman needs to "accessorize"...

14 purses (again, must match the "outfit")

At least 70 assorted pieces of Jewelry (necklaces, bracelets, earrings, pins, rings) of various types from diamonds down to cheap costume jewelry (again, the accessories must complement the particular outfit being worn)

6 swimsuits, though she'll never actually make it up to the pool deck...besides, "I can't be seen in public in a swimsuit"

6 "cover-ups"...just in case she braves wearing a swimsuit...

Toothbrush

Toothpaste

Deodorant

Eye Shadow

Eyeliner

Blush

Foundation

Lipstick

Lip Gloss

Eyebrow pencil

Nail polish

(At least 4 or 5 shades of each variety of make-up)

Make-up remover

Moisturizer

Face cream

Cold Cream

Anti-wrinkle cream

Body lotion

Cotton Balls

Q-Tips

Razor

Shaving Cream

Tweezers

Hairbrush (at least three varieties)

Suntan lotion

Sunscreen

"Feminine Products" (though most often the item forgotten or not packed enough...just so YOU will have to go running around the streets of Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas looking for drug stores and trying to explain this to a clerk who only speaks Spanish)

Hairdryer (even though they supply them on the ship--it's a reflex motion...but the excuse is "I don't like theirs")

Curling iron

Iron (even though the ship says they're forbidden..."I NEED it")

Steamer

Sewing Kit (like she's going to actually sew)

Eyeglasses

Sunglasses

Contact Lenses

Contact Lens solution

Advil

Midol

Dramamine

Pepto Bismol

Tums

Rolaids

Campo-Phenique

Pepcid

Metamucil

Any other possible medication for any other real or imagined malady which MAY arise during the course of the cruise--which they obviously don't sell anywhere but here at home...

Hair dye (just in case the roots start showing during the cruise)

And, this is just off the top of my head...I KNOW I'm leaving off lots of stuff...

It's a good thing airlines allow you two fifty pound each pieces of luggage plus a carry on each... ...(Or they used to...maybe now with a small fee!)

All of YOUR stuff can go in your carry-on, while hers MAY neatly fit into the four allowed pieces of luggage plus her carry-on...

Even with the extensive packing, know that there are simply things not accounted for which now MUST be acquired in port...Besides, some of these ports are just great "shopping towns" ...After all, how important are a bunch of old churches and museums when each port has so many nice stores?

I think your a good candidate for a roll of quality duct tape. If a bulging suitcase zipper explodes the tape will come in very handy.

I do the same kind of long trips but I guess I don't stay in hotels without lifts. All the other things are manageable and I bet I could find someone to carry the bags up the stairs for a couple of bucks.;)

We wrestled with large suitcases on and off trains on a long trip, and that was not fun at all. One on the platform lifting it up to one inside the car, hoping that our other bags, carryons, etc wouldn't get stolen while our attention was diverted. Also, we rent small cars, and the smaller suitcases we now use will barely fit as it is, one in the trunk and one in the backseat. We have done 2-3 week roadtrips, different hotel every night, and we finally devised a trick. We leave the suitcases in the car and just bring a carry on with us to use at night. Jammies and toiletries stay in the bag, but clean clothes get put in each evening and dirty ones taken out each morning. That way we're only dealing with one small bag between us, plus purse and backpack.

We also rent or stay in apartments frequently, once stayed in the 6th floor in Paris with no lift, what a PAIN that was getting the baggage upstairs!!!:eek:

We wrestled with large suitcases on and off trains on a long trip, and that was not fun at all. One on the platform lifting it up to one inside the car, hoping that our other bags, carryons, etc wouldn't get stolen while our attention was diverted. Also, we rent small cars, and the smaller suitcases we now use will barely fit as it is, one in the trunk and one in the backseat. We have done 2-3 week roadtrips, different hotel every night, and we finally devised a trick. We leave the suitcases in the car and just bring a carry on with us to use at night. Jammies and toiletries stay in the bag, but clean clothes get put in each evening and dirty ones taken out each morning. That way we're only dealing with one small bag between us, plus purse and backpack.

We also rent or stay in apartments frequently, once stayed in the 6th floor in Paris with no lift, what a PAIN that was getting the baggage upstairs!!!:eek:

Yikes, that sounds more like a rolling coffin than a car.

There have been a lot of good suggestions posted. I don't understand why people pack so many clothes and stuff they will never use or wear. A 7 week Caribbean cruise is a piece of cake. Regardless of where we travel both DH and I only travel with one carry-on each. Over the years we have learned how to travel light and find it very liberating. We never have to wait for luggage, traveling on local transportation (especially in foreign countries) is very easy and economical.

Marion

a funny situation that comes with trying to not pack too much. We went on an 11 day cruise and when we got on the ship is realized I did not bring any bottoms (shorts, pants, anything) and my DH did not bring any evening shirts (polo).

We did a 5 day cruise once and I forgot to pack any shoes. (Actually did pack them, but packed way too early and ended up taking them out to wear pre-cruise and forgot to put them back in the suitcase.)

Anyway, as the ship sailed I suddenly thought about what I'd unpacked in the cabin and realized I hadn't unpacked any shoes because I didn't BRING any, other than the flip flops on my feet. Luckily the ship was in Key West the next day and I found a Nine West shoe store. :)

I guess I just don't understand why luggage presents such a problem for people. Unless I'm on a backpacking trip whether it's one piece or two makes little difference. It takes a couple of extra seconds to pick up the second piece and check it or stow it. I don't drag my luggage around the ship with me once I'm there. As far as carrying luggage around, get some with wheels.:confused:

To each his own but I'd rather have enough than have to spend time and money shopping for something I didn't bring.

Many people seem to want to avoid checked bag fees. Paying to check a bag doesn't seem like a big deal to me, compared to paying for a cruise, but people are funny that way. For me, I just like the freedom of only having a single bag to worry about... one bag to get into the car, one bag to get from car to check in counter at airport, one bag to unpack and store in the cabin, one back to haul off the ship (we self disembark), one bag to get to the airport etc.

I used to pack a completely different outfit for each night, plus a complete outfit for each day PLUS extras just in case I decided I didn't want to wear a particular item. I quit doing that when I realized I never wore a lot of what I packed. Once on board I'd find myself resorting to the same 1 or 2 pair of "favorite" shorts or sundresses to wear during the day, and since most of the daytime was spent in swimsuit and cover up, those 1 or 2 never were worn long enough (usually just to breakfast, or for a couple hours to have lunch ashore) that they never got really dirty, hence being able to wear them over and over.

I also realized that I could wear the same pants 2 or 3 times at night but with different tops. Anyone who thinks someone else will notice that they are wearing the same pair of black pants a 2nd or even 3rd night in a week must have very narcissistic tendencies to think that everyone else is paying attention to them and memorizing what they're wearing, LOL. :rolleyes:

We did a 5 day cruise once and I forgot to pack any shoes. (Actually did pack them, but packed way too early and ended up taking them out to wear pre-cruise and forgot to put them back in the suitcase.)

Anyway, as the ship sailed I suddenly thought about what I'd unpacked in the cabin and realized I hadn't unpacked any shoes because I didn't BRING any, other than the flip flops on my feet. Luckily the ship was in Key West the next day and I found a Nine West shoe store. :)

Many people seem to want to avoid checked bag fees. Paying to check a bag doesn't seem like a big deal to me, compared to paying for a cruise, but people are funny that way. For me, I just like the freedom of only having a single bag to worry about... one bag to get into the car, one bag to get from car to check in counter at airport, one bag to unpack and store in the cabin, one back to haul off the ship (we self disembark), one bag to get to the airport etc.

I used to pack a completely different outfit for each night, plus a complete outfit for each day PLUS extras just in case I decided I didn't want to wear a particular item. I quit doing that when I realized I never wore a lot of what I packed. Once on board I'd find myself resorting to the same 1 or 2 pair of "favorite" shorts or sundresses to wear during the day, and since most of the daytime was spent in swimsuit and cover up, those 1 or 2 never were worn long enough (usually just to breakfast, or for a couple hours to have lunch ashore) that they never got really dirty, hence being able to wear them over and over.

I also realized that I could wear the same pants 2 or 3 times at night but with different tops. Anyone who thinks someone else will notice that they are wearing the same pair of black pants a 2nd or even 3rd night in a week must have very narcissistic tendencies to think that everyone else is paying attention to them and memorizing what they're wearing, LOL. :rolleyes:

No problem for me to have just one bag for a week. I just don't remember the last time I traveled for only a week. It's usually more like three weeks with cruise and land. Since I don't ever sit by the pool, I wear more daytime clothes.

No problem for me to have just one bag for a week. I just don't remember the last time I traveled for only a week. It's usually more like three weeks with cruise and land. Since I don't ever sit by the pool, I wear more daytime clothes.

3 weeks, including moving around from shore to ship to shore etc.? All the more reason, IMHO, to limit the amount of luggage you're toting around. If you can pack for a week in one bag, you can pack for 3 weeks. Take versatile items that can be dressed up or down depending on what they're paired with and/or accessories they're worn with, and items that can be layered to adapt to different climates if need be. Plan colors that coordinate so you can take fewer pieces, mix and match them, and get more total outfits. Take wash and wear fabrics that are easy to hand wash and hang dry. Pay the nominal charge to have laundry done before leaving the ship. Lots of options to easily reduce the amount of luggage you take, but if you'd rather haul around 2 suitcases plus a carry on bag and a purse, have at it. :D

3 weeks, including moving around from shore to ship to shore etc.? All the more reason, IMHO, to limit the amount of luggage you're toting around. If you can pack for a week in one bag, you can pack for 3 weeks. Take versatile items that can be dressed up or down depending on what they're paired with and/or accessories they're worn with, and items that can be layered to adapt to different climates if need be. Plan colors that coordinate so you can take fewer pieces, mix and match them, and get more total outfits. Take wash and wear fabrics that are easy to hand wash and hang dry. Pay the nominal charge to have laundry done before leaving the ship. Lots of options to easily reduce the amount of luggage you take, but if you'd rather haul around 2 suitcases plus a carry on bag and a purse, have at it. :D

Not a problem. I don't get the hauling and toting around bit. It's just not a big deal. I spend a lot less time hauling and toting than I would hand washing and drying.:confused:

Having been on a number of cruises with Ma Bell, seen how she copes with her luggage and how very smart she looks all of the time I don't think she needs to be told how to do it!

Phil

thanks folks - very helpful.

Cant wait for the cruise in 4 days!!!

When you go on a shore excursion, what do you do with a wallet, etc if you are going to go to stingray island?

I never take my wallet with me. I always keep it locked in the safe. If you are in Aqua or concierge they give you a wallet for your seapass. I take that with my drivers license, travel insurance card, one credit card and a little cash and that is all.

Not a problem. I don't get the hauling and toting around bit. It's just not a big deal. I spend a lot less time hauling and toting than I would hand washing and drying.:confused:

I can rinse a few things in the sink and hang them to dry in less time than it takes to call for a bellboy and wait for him to come get my extra bags. :confused:

re: no wallet -

what do you do with the "wallet" that you get when you go into the water?

Perhaps a stupid question, but do you take a water proof baggie or something along?

They have cases on a string you put around your neck. They are waterproof. The square one we have is the size of a Band-Aid container. Ours is old so I don't know where to find them now. Maybe Walgreens, Walmart, or Target.

I can rinse a few things in the sink and hang them to dry in less time than it takes to call for a bellboy and wait for him to come get my extra bags. :confused:

I don't need a bellboy for my bags. I put my carry on over my shoulder, I have a crossbody purse and I roll the other two. I sometimes even put one more on top of one of the rolling bags. So after you hang your things to dry do you just leave them there?;)

I don't need a bellboy for my bags. I put my carry on over my shoulder, I have a crossbody purse and I roll the other two. I sometimes even put one more on top of one of the rolling bags. So after you hang your things to dry do you just leave them there?;)

You want to have 4 bags to carry when you travel, I don't. You travel the way you want to, I'll travel the way I want to. I have simply tried to point out that a person can plan their attire in such a way that they can have plenty to wear without needing to take 4 bags. I would imagine there are people out there who would like to pack less but haven't realized it's possible; maybe now they do.

Could I carry a rollaboard in each hand and something over each shoulder? Of course I could, but I don't find it enjoyable. It's a bit of a pain to get in and out of hotel room doors/cabin doors when you don't have a free hand (especially in Europe where you often need to find a key slot in the dark to turn the lights on), you can't use the escalator if you self disembark a ship (which we do), getting in and out of elevators can be interesting unless I'm by myself and there is no one anyone else in it, likewise turning the corner in narrow corridors when pulling two separate rollaboards.... I have done it before and don't care to do it again....all the stopping to open a door, stopping to shift luggage to get around a corner or to get turned around in an elevator etc.

As I said, I'm simply pointing out that it's possible to travel for a month without having to take a ton of luggage, not trying to convince you to do it, but you continue to argue with me, so I'm sure you'll now tell me how you've never had to haul your stuff through a narrow European hallway, or up the steps in a boutique European hotel that didn't have an elevator, blah blah blah. But if one travels enough, one tends to learn that situations like that are not uncommon, and to do whatever is possible to make them easier. Having done it both ways, I've become a firm believer in one rollaboard, and one purse or tote bag. YMMV

As for whether I "just leave them there" after hanging a hand washed item to dry, what else would you expect me do? Not sure I understand exactly what you're getting at. :confused:

I hang things up, and when they're dry I either wear them again, or leave them for a day or two or three until I do wear them again, or pack them along with my other things if we're moving on to the next phase of our trip.

They have cases on a string you put around your neck. They are waterproof. The square one we have is the size of a Band-Aid container. Ours is old so I don't know where to find them now. Maybe Walgreens, Walmart, or Target.

Ebags.com has a variety of them ranging in price right now from 10.99 on up, depending on the size.

http://www.ebags.com/search/f/waterproof?lastSearchTerm=waterproof

You could also check specialty travel sites like Travelsmith, Eagle Creek, etc. I'd look for something with a guarantee. I've read/heard many stories of people who bought something that claimed to be waterproof but wasn't. Either way, maybe give it a test run in a pool or bathtub at home with something that won't be ruined if it does get wet, rather than use for the first time on a cruise with your phone and wallet inside and find out a claim of waterproof was false. :eek:

Beleive it or not, women know what other women wore every night at Dinner. There may be exceptions to the rule. Us men have no idea, except if that other woman wore a very revealing dress, then we remember what she wore. My wife packs lots, but she saves on underwear. Me, I take my old jocks and socks and throw them out after wearing. Makes space for new things.