VIFP Change: Water or Coupon Available at any Bar (including the same water)?

falkcor

Water or Free Drink Coupon?  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Water or Free Drink Coupon?

• Free Drink Coupon - No Restrictions - Any Bar, Any Time - including the same water
    • Water in Stateroom

My recap-- Carnival took away a cocktail that cost them maybe a buck and gave us a bottle of water that, with their purchasing power, probably cost Carnival a dime. What a way to say thanks to your repeat customers Carnival.

Carnival keeps cutting back on perks for past guests, and it has changed what cruise we book now. Carnival used to be our first choice for our cruise vacation, and it is now our last choice. We will still cruise with them, but only when we have no other options, and we will still enjoy our cruise.

We are gold status with NCL, and our perks are better than our platinum status with Carnival.

to kind of re-cap a bit here, it's clear that the majority do not agree with this change from carnival as evidenced by the poll results (about 90% against at the time of posting)...

some (probably among that 10% supporting, possibly platinum+ which are not affected, or those who don't understand 'oh i won't have to bring water if they give us 1 each every day') seem to scoff that anybody is concerned at all about the loss of one of the few benefits afforded to red/gold - cruisers as a whole.

to the platinums, i'd say, remember when they took benefits from you with the VIFP changes. to those that prefer water anyway - i'd say, use your coupon for a bottle of water! to those with cheers, same thing! to the people who somehow think this will replace their carrying on water - do you only carry on 2 bottles of water? lifting the restrictions to make the coupon more available anywhere or even in select places would just make it more accessible to all. and wouldn't you rather a cold bottle of water than a lukewarm one left in your cabin?

really though, i think what has most people posting that they don't approve, is that carnival seems to be out of touch with their clientele. john heald said 'We’re making these changes because members told us they felt the drink coupon was overly restrictive in terms of where and when it could be used.' - so lift the restrictions, don't rescind the offer, and offer a bottle of water (water - which is rightly available everywhere for free).

i think it is the subterfuge being utilized, again as we've seen similar in the past, that has people upset, as a matter of principle. not as a matter of the few dollars. i don't think it will make or break anybody's cruise (or carnival's bottom line one way or another)... in the past people have complained about pins, laundry, this that and the other thing. it's all valid, to the person voicing their opinion. i think we should respect each other's opinions...

and with that said... as much as ultimately it won't affect whether i choose to cruise with carnival or not - i still don't like it, for the principle of the matter.

Most heartily agree.

To quote John Heald "We’re making these changes because members told us they felt the drink coupon was overly

restrictive in terms of where and when it could be used."

Their answer is to make it even more restrictive as to who qualifies and not address the issue of when and where. Their logic escapes me.

Falkor..I agree..great option and fix and 87 percent here think so!!!

The shrimp came back for the most part right...often enough? I don't go that often..dream alot here LOL.

But you did good...agree with your final summation..it is the principle..even though I may take the water..do it like that...the psychology of giving a little, acknowledging the sort of "I'll show you manipulation people can figure out in decline of perk" mistake... may surprise them in longrun with bucks spent heartily finding that new cocktail/virgin drink...or handy cold bottled better tasting water pickup place.

And being acknowledged in a tiny way as a repeat builds repeaters and in this economy they should want that...too bad I missed using that coupon too on a 5 day..LOL. Only 2 Carnival cruises here..my last 2...

Carnival make a good plan..and stop the constant divert..just tiny perks for heavens sake.

God willing soon being able to go more often..I am no way going to choose one line..just sign up for programs on each line and go for best solo price at level , type of ship, and cruise I want at the time....

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Falkor..I agree..great option and fix and 87 percent here think so!!!

The shrimp came back for the most part right...often enough? I don't go that often..dream alot here LOL.

But you did good...

Sarah

#Shrimpgate2011

Spoke volumes. If Platinum and Diamond members lost their coupon, there would be riots in the street.

Call me crazy but I say the free water in the cabin is preferable to me at least. I don't drink that crap they have on tap on lido, I don't care how well they say it is pure, it's still ttreated seawater. I wouldn't want to drag a case of water on with my carryon stuff, especially if it's a shorter cruise and I am not checking bags at all and I possibly have a bottle of wine with me also. I know having that bottle of water there on the counter is nice, especially if you just woke up and are thirsty for example. I wouldn't pay for it though although I know plenty of people who do. I always get my free drink but many people don't do that either. Figure those bottles costs carnival at least a dollar or more each, and how much does it really cost them to give you a beer or a drink with a quick shot of liquor anyway? Probably about the same. I don't think this is a cutback but at least they are sort of pretending to make positive changes. And I'm a huge critic of all their cutbacks in recent years. Besides, platinum and above still gets the free drink and the water and a lot of people are platinums so.... As a matter of fact, my buddy who cruised the imagination with me last week (his first cruise) commented that although he paid for cheers which included soft drinks, he still had to pay for the water that he had on his cabin counter. Think about that.

Call me crazy but I say the free water in the cabin is preferable to me at least. I don't drink that crap they have on tap on lido, I don't care how well they say it is pure, it's still ttreated seawater. I wouldn't want to drag a case of water on with my carryon stuff, especially if it's a shorter cruise and I am not checking bags at all and I possibly have a bottle of wine with me also. I know having that bottle of water there on the counter is nice, especially if you just woke up and are thirsty for example. I wouldn't pay for it though although I know plenty of people who do. I always get my free drink but many people don't do that either. Figure those bottles costs carnival at least a dollar or more each, and how much does it really cost them to give you a beer or a drink with a quick shot of liquor anyway? Probably about the same. I don't think this is a cutback but at least they are sort of pretending to make positive changes. And I'm a huge critic of all their cutbacks in recent years. Besides, platinum and above still gets the free drink and the water and a lot of people are platinums so.... As a matter of fact, my buddy who cruised the imagination with me last week (his first cruise) commented that although he paid for cheers which included soft drinks, he still had to pay for the water that he had on his cabin counter. Think about that.

They are not costing Carnival one dollar each bottle. Although Carnival is using 1L bottles, in bulk, 0.5L bottles are only 9 cents each. I didn't care enough to visit a second website to search for 1L bottles.

29d4a9c5f23df1f85469a51ed3298b8d.png

Why do people get in such an uproar over such stupid things ? Do resturants give away free booze? Why let such a like little thing ruin a great vacation ? You can get several free drinks at the past guest party'!!!!!!!!! I have seen many of you go overboard stockpiling drinks. It's like anything else the more freebies the more you want . We Americans have become the free lunch generation .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why do people get in such an uproar over such stupid things ? Do resturants give away free booze? Why let such a like little thing ruin a great vacation ? You can get several free drinks at the past guest party'!!!!!!!!! I have seen many of you go overboard stockpiling drinks. It's like anything else the more freebies the more you want . We Americans have become the free lunch generation .

1. It isn't about the monetary expenses. It is about being valued.

2. Some restaurants do give away free booze.

3. If someone wants to be upset by product devaluations, they have every right to be.

4. This benefit was removed from Red and Gold members. I wasn't aware Red members were allowed to attend the Past Guest Party.

5. Without an invite, they aren't stockpiling drinks.

I think people don't understand that a liter is one 16 ounce bottle. The kind you can pick up in any convenience store for a buck. Cheap and disgraceful. My kids loved being able to get a virgin frozen drink and now they will not be able to because I am not paying $10 each for one drink. They get all the free water they want already.

Um. ...no. A liter is about 33 1/2 oz. So it is more than 2 of those 16 oz bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the long run, isn't this going to cost them more for the free water? Every returning guest will get a $4.95 bottle of water. For the free drink up to $8.95, you had to be at least Gold. I don't have any idea of how many actually used the coupon but I know we never did nor anyone in our group because of the restrictions. Without knowing the exact figures, it just seems like this will cost them more money in the long run. By the way, I voted for the first option. At least that way we may use them.

Edited by RWolver672

i just got off the glory yesterday and we didn't use the drink coupon because we had the cheers program. so the benefit does nothing for you if you have cheers. so i would of loved the 2 liters of water instead. but when you don't have the cheers program it was a nice perk.

i sat at the serenity bar one sea day towards the end of the cruise and watched 4 separate people in an hour try to use the free drink at brunch coupon to get a drink. and a couple got pretty up set they couldn't use it.

In the long run, isn't this going to cost them more for the free water? Every returning guest will get a $4.95 bottle of water. For the free drink up to $8.95, you had to be at least Gold. I don't have any idea of how many actually used the coupon but I know we never did nor anyone in our group because of the restrictions. Without knowing the exact figures, it just seems like this will cost them more money in the long run. By the way, I voted for the first option. At least that way we may use them.

no, free drink coupon was red and up - so any returning passenger. that's why they discontinued it for 'red and gold'

i just got off the glory yesterday and we didn't use the drink coupon because we had the cheers program. so the benefit does nothing for you if you have cheers. so i would of loved the 2 liters of water instead. but when you don't have the cheers program it was a nice perk.

i sat at the serenity bar one sea day towards the end of the cruise and watched 4 separate people in an hour try to use the free drink at brunch coupon to get a drink. and a couple got pretty up set they couldn't use it.

here's the thing though - you can use the coupon for non-alcoholic drinks as it stands already. so, say you could use the coupon for the same bottles of water.

This is what happens when people only complain about a certain procedure or policy. We have never had a problem with getting our FREE drink outside of the dining room and graciously enjoyed it. Because some people would rather complain about the FREE drink, and when it was available, they have now removed it, thanks. Today's society is just too greedy and picky, go with the flow and enjoy what they give you for FREE. What's next? Sorry, I never post things like this, but it's frustrating because of others actions, everyone else suffers. I, for one will miss my FREE drink (instead of the FREE water), go ahead and complain about that, and soon we will be left with nothing.

If Carnival want's to play it this cheep,.....we can two,....

(They could have just raised everybody's cruise fare by about 3 bucks across the board, no-one would have noticed and gave everyone 1 free drink coupon, good anywhere, at anytime, and everyone would be happy and feel loved, ( costing them nothing in the process.) instead they create

resentment, and class/status envy, by insulting us with water.))

So my response is,.....It won't stop me from sometimes cruising Carnival,

(I alternate fairly evenly with RCI.)

However,....From now On,....

1. I vow now to smuggle alcohol on-board whenever possible,......

2. I will buy less drinks onboard, and instead buy more drinks in ports instead.

3. I will not feel bad anymore about wasting food. (used to never take more than I could eat at buffets and dinner) - Now ,....Game On!

4. Just wait till that dude comes around in the dining room offering me after dinner drinks, especially at brunch, I will be telling him "How much better FREE WATER is according to his boss",.....and where he, and they can go.

I will be buying NONE in the dining room as my own personal protest of the cheapness.

5. I vow to grab more free drinks at the returning guest party on cruises of 5 days or more than i actually want, just out of principal from now on.

(I hate the cheep campaign crap they serve, but even if I'm not drinking it, I'll get some now.)

6. I will be talking to other new/experienced cruisers about how much better the reward plans are on RCI than carnival from now on, even while on-board carnival.

They want to treat me, a repeat customer with disrespect and cheapness, I can do the same right back, costing them more in the long run then the single dollar or two they might save in a few generic rum/vodka shots in my 1 free drink by taking it away,....Like I Said, Challenge Accepted,.....FUN Ship - Game on!,.....who can cost whom more?,.....

Other-wise Happy cruising!!!

:p

Edited by ragen

Oooooo, as if it wasn't bad enough for my son that his little sister is platinum and he isn't, now she'll get a free virgin Miami Vice on our 2/19 sailing and he won't! That's gonna hurt. ;)

In all seriousness though, I think this is a terrible move on Carnival's part. I'm used to them removing or reducing perks by now (sad but true)... however, more offensive than the downgraded "perk" is treating me as if I'm too stupid to recognize it for what it is. C'mon Carnival, do you really think I believe that you are making this change as a benevolent gesture to make life better for those who didn't like the restrictions on the drink coupon? :rolleyes:

If Carnival want's to play it this cheep,.....we can two,....

(They could have just raised everybody's cruise fare by about 3 bucks across the board, no-one would have noticed and gave everyone 1 free drink coupon, good anywhere, at anytime, and everyone would be happy and feel loved, ( costing them nothing in the process.) instead they create

resentment, and class/status envy, by insulting us with water.))

So my response is,.....It won't stop me from sometimes cruising Carnival,

(I alternate fairly evenly with RCI.)

However,....From now On,....

1. I vow now to smuggle alcohol on-board whenever possible,......

2. I will buy less drinks onboard, and instead buy more drinks in ports instead.

3. I will not feel bad anymore about wasting food. (used to never take more than I could eat at buffets and dinner) - Now ,....Game On!

4. Just wait till that dude comes around in the dining room offering me after dinner drinks, especially at brunch, I will be telling him "How much better FREE WATER is according to his boss",.....and where he, and they can go.

I will be buying NONE in the dining room as my own personal protest of the cheapness.

5. I vow to grab more free drinks at the returning guest party on cruises of 5 days or more than i actually want, just out of principal from now on.

(I hate the cheep campaign crap they serve, but even if I'm not drinking it, I'll get some now.)

6. I will be talking to other new/experienced cruisers about how much better the reward plans are on RCI than carnival from now on, even while on-board carnival.

They want to treat me, a repeat customer with disrespect and cheapness, I can do the same right back, costing them more in the long run then the single dollar or two they might save in a few generic rum/vodka shots in my 1 free drink by taking it away,....Like I Said, Challenge Accepted,.....Game on,.....who can cost whom more?,.....

Other-wise Happy cruising!!!

:p

WOW this is exactly what is wrong with our country...people that think this way. It was a $8.95 drink coupon they didn't take your first born child!!!!

WOW this is exactly what is wrong with our country...people that think this way. It was a $8.95 drink coupon they didn't take your first born child!!!!

It's not the drink or the $8.95 that i care about, it's the principal, the insult of acting like they are doing us a favor by giving us water instead,.....

Stating it like it's an upgrade instead of a cut-back. Like we're stupid or something,....

I would have accepted it better if the Coupon simply just went away. With no explanation at all. Than the bull-crap excuse and cheep free water behind it,...

What I don't like is the condescending, talk down to me attitude of the explanation. That is not a way to address you're customers.

:rolleyes:

Edited by ragen

And if the coupon would have just went away people would still be here complaining that they took my free drink and gave me nothing in return and I am never sailing on carnival again, if that is the way they are going to treat me.

If you are that much happier on a different line, then don't choose carnival any more. It is that simple. If people are going to get so out of wack by one drink, I don't want to be on the same ship as them.

here's the thing though - you can use the coupon for non-alcoholic drinks as it stands already. so, say you could use the coupon for the same bottles of water.

wrong! you could use them for a classic cocktail, beer, wine, specialty coffee, or soft drink up to $9. and that is it. you could never use them to buy a bottle of water especially not the big liter bottles.

Hasn't anyone noticed the price of food etc has gone, Carnival works on a very small profit margin. Drop the free drinks or raise prices? The Idea of wasting food to "get back at them" will just end up ruining it for the rest of us. You think the Cruise lines are making a big profit go buy some stock. (you will also get on board credit you can use for drinks anytime you want).

Doug

Edited by rdmallory