VIFP Change: Water or Coupon Available at any Bar (including the same water)?

falkcor

Water or Free Drink Coupon?  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Water or Free Drink Coupon?

• Free Drink Coupon - No Restrictions - Any Bar, Any Time - including the same water
    • Water in Stateroom

WOW this is exactly what is wrong with our country...people that think this way. It was a $8.95 drink coupon they didn't take your first born child!!!!

Your absolutely right!!!!! The mentality of the younger generation is give give me. Look at how they have become addictive to government handouts !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone is missing the point here, If we are willing to let them get away with taking things away, they will continue to do so. When I started Sailing on Carnival back in 2006 we had the Captain Reception with free drinks, lets see they took that away and we let them, Then they came up with having a Welcome back party with free drinks, They took that away, Then they came out with the free Drink coupon That was great and then they took that away, Now they are replacing that with a Bottle of water, That is calling it too cheep. The thing that eats at me is Everyone on here that loves the Water Idea is most likely the people that get the free Drinks still. It does not matter to you. I really think it is a slap in the face, an Insult really, The cruise lines make enough to be able to give their returning guest something besides water. They keep getting away with taking things away and we let them. It is not fair, I bet half of the people on here that like the free water are still getting the free drinks and don't care what the other people get. Oh well, What is done is done nothing we can do about it except stop letting them get away with this, It is strange I did not get that survey asking what we thought about the drink coupon and I don't believe that everyone was complaining about getting it, People were most likely telling them that they want to be able to use it at any bar anytime during the cruise. Not just for Brunch/lunch on Sea Days. Just my opinion, you can either like it or Not I really don't care, I have the right to voice my opinion. Point being if we keep letting them take things away they will continue to.. NUFF Said.

Everyone is missing the point here, If we are willing to let them get away with taking things away, they will continue to do so. When I started Sailing on Carnival back in 2006 we had the Captain Reception with free drinks, lets see they took that away and we let them, Then they came up with having a Welcome back party with free drinks, They took that away, Then they came out with the free Drink coupon That was great and then they took that away, Now they are replacing that with a Bottle of water, That is calling it too cheep. The thing that eats at me is Everyone on here that loves the Water Idea is most likely the people that get the free Drinks still. It does not matter to you. I really think it is a slap in the face, an Insult really, The cruise lines make enough to be able to give their returning guest something besides water. They keep getting away with taking things away and we let them. It is not fair, I bet half of the people on here that like the free water are still getting the free drinks and don't care what the other people get. Oh well, What is done is done nothing we can do about it except stop letting them get away with this, It is strange I did not get that survey asking what we thought about the drink coupon and I don't believe that everyone was complaining about getting it, People were most likely telling them that they want to be able to use it at any bar anytime during the cruise. Not just for Brunch/lunch on Sea Days. Just my opinion, you can either like it or Not I really don't care, I have the right to voice my opinion. Point being if we keep letting them take things away they will continue to.. NUFF Said.

They are a business. Businesses make cuts and changes all the time. It is up to the consumer to decide if they want the product currently being offered for the price being charged. The other cruise lines are also making changes all the time. The question is are they offering what you want at a price you are willing to pay for it. There is no letting anyone get away with anything. It is a business with a product to sell simple as that. You are the consumer with choice to buy it or not. There is nothing personal to it. I have a feeling when all is said and done, one little drink is not going to make a bit of difference to the majority of cruisers. Some of you are just taking something little, making it personal, and blowing it way out of proportion.

FYI I am gold...and have many more sail days before I earn the coupon again. I don't really care. By then it will probably be different again and I will make my decision based on what is not on what was.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I agree with what you said but I can't dictate what Carnival does, only what I do.My only recourse is If I don't like the product then don't buy it.My PVP just called and I told her I no longer felt very valued and was not interested in buying their product right now and made sure she understood why.She said she would pass my feelings to her superiors and basically agreed with me about this new policy.

Business 101.

As long as they still sell out the demand is greater than supply, they have been reducing cost to keep it that way. Had they had to raise the cost of the cruise to pay for the drinks they might loose more cabins then switching the drink perks. First time cruiser is more likely to look at the bottom line than a free drink on a future cruise.

50% of cruisers on any ship are fist time cruisers. So they decide to change the perks for 40% of the cruisers instead of raising the price for %100. Looks like agood business model to me.

Did you stop buying Oatmeal or dish washing detergent when they stop giving away free glasses?

Doug

You know, it just seems to me that when someone gives you something for free you should simply accept it graciously and say "Thank You". I don't see how you can complain about something that's free. The sense of entitlement that some folks have is just amazing.

Edited by travler27

This is just another example of Carnival cutting back on services. I really enjoyed the Fun Farewell Party and the Repeat Cruisers Party. I think it's an excuse for them to say that people complained about the restrictions using the drink coupon. The answer to that isn't to eliminate the coupon, the answer is to eliminate the restrictions. We actually didn't find it difficult to use the coupons at all. We used them in the afternoon at the main bar in the rotunda area.

If you don't like this terrible thing Carnival has done to you then it's probably the time to stop sailing them and find another line. NUFF Said.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know, it just seems to me that when someone gives you something for free you should simply accept it graciously and say "Thank You". I don't see how you can complain about something that's free. The sense of entitlement that some folks have is just amazing.

Couldn't agree with you more. Amazing to me that people have that sense of entitlement.

What I don't get is why some are taking this so personally. It is a business decision on a program offering freebies that has been in a constant state of change since we started sailing with Carnival and most likely well before then. Most businesses offering freebies make constant changes to their programs. Many businesses don't even offer any freebies. Do these same people feel like they are not valued at all when they purchase products from these businesses because they get no freebies from in return? Do they feel these companies are out to get them? If so why do they purchase their products?

I just don't get the anger over something so petty. Life is not fair people. If someone told you that they lied to you. Sometimes you come out the winner and sometimes you come out the loser. In this case some people like the change and some don't feel its fair and hate it. It is not possible for any business to please everyone. That is why it is good to have choices. You are the consumer. You control what you purchase. If you don't feel Carnival offers you a product you want anymore then purchase your cruise from a different company. Whining on here that its not fair only makes you look like an entitled little kid who isn't getting his way and is throwing a temper tantrum.

Carnival does not pay $4.95 for a bottle of water. They saved the difference between the amount of alcohol in a drink at contracted bulk prices and the cost of a bottle of water in contracted bulk prices.

My recap-- Carnival took away a cocktail that cost them maybe a buck and gave us a bottle of water that, with their purchasing power, probably cost Carnival a dime. What a way to say thanks to your repeat customers Carnival.

Eventually, Carnival will realize that they can save even more money by saying "Here's a cup. Help yourself to a drink of water."

Looneytunes has a valid and good argument. Unfortunately like most posts they are attack for voicing their opinion. I see this too often on cruise critic. Those saying it's their choice a biz etc and the other hype sound like employees of the cruise line. Just saying

Other lines don't give free bottled water or other drinks unless you're at/near top tier of their loyalty. Or endure a cruise line infomercial.

Just off Princess. We lower levels got a drink coupon only if we endured the Princess Propaganda show.

The two highest levels and suites get a cocktail hour with reduced pricing.

Sailing on a three day this Friday. Looks like I'll have to take a larger suitcase to schlep off 1/2 gallon of water.

Edited by SadieN

Eventually, Carnival will realize that they can save even more money by saying "Here's a cup. Help yourself to a drink of water."

They've done that already with the Tervis Tumblers. Lol

What I don't get is why some are taking this so personally. It is a business decision on a program offering freebies that has been in a constant state of change since we started sailing with Carnival and most likely well before then. Most businesses offering freebies make constant changes to their programs. Many businesses don't even offer any freebies. Do these same people feel like they are not valued at all when they purchase products from these businesses because they get no freebies from in return? Do they feel these companies are out to get them? If so why do they purchase their products?

I just don't get the anger over something so petty. Life is not fair people. If someone told you that they lied to you. Sometimes you come out the winner and sometimes you come out the loser. In this case some people like the change and some don't feel its fair and hate it. It is not possible for any business to please everyone. That is why it is good to have choices. You are the consumer. You control what you purchase. If you don't feel Carnival offers you a product you want anymore then purchase your cruise from a different company. Whining on here that its not fair only makes you look like an entitled little kid who isn't getting his way and is throwing a temper tantrum.

Exactly this! :)

Looneytunes has a valid and good argument. Unfortunately like most posts they are attack for voicing their opinion. I see this too often on cruise critic. Those saying it's their choice a biz etc and the other hype sound like employees of the cruise line. Just saying

Pot calling the kettle black. Looneytunes did voice his opinion and others are voicing their opinion which just happens to be different from Looneytunes....not attacking Looneytunes. Why do people feel that if you don't agree with someone you are attacking them?

Many, myself included, just don't get the purpose behind the complaints. First it was triggered by a drink coupon worth less than $10. Second they are making it personal and getting angry over something petty. Third most people if they no longer like a product don't buy it. They don't get all angry over it. You are the consumer and have the power to choose the product that best fits your needs. Businesses constantly change their products. Cruiselines included. If Carnival fits your needs for a vacation you are looking for then great, buy it. If you feel Carnival doesn't fit your needs then purchase something that works for you. If a $10 drink coupon means that much to you that it puts Carnival in the doesn't fit anymore then find a cruiseline that does. No attack...just saying the consumer has the choice to make themselves happy.

Saying people who voice their opinion opposite of what you believe must be working for the cruise line :rolleyes:.....no, they are just people like Looneytunes voicing their opinions. I personally don't have loyalty to any cruiseline and I am not platinum on Carnival by any means...a long ways from it and don't really care if I hit it or not. My last 2 cruises were on NCL and Princess. Why am I not furious with Carnival for taking away a coupon worth $10? Because I think it is a waste of my time energy and get myself that worked up over change. Especially something this small. If the change was big enough to make me rethink sailing Carnival then I would take that into consideration when choosing my cruise and not constantly whine, complain, and get angry over it. The change wasn't personally directed at me. It was a business decision and it is now up to me to purchase their product or not the way it currently is.

I find it confusing and funny that some of you take it so personally. It is just a business decision to change a program. Something businesses do daily. Whether it was to cut costs or in reaction to customer feedback doesn't really matter....what it wasn't was a personal attack on you. They don't know you.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Everyone seems to be talking like this is some sort of cost cutting measure on the part of Carnival. I suspect the cost of the water to 100% of the program participants will far exceed the cost of a free drink to 50% of the program participants.

Mixed drinks probably cost Carnival around the same amount as bottled water. Don't confuse Carnival's cost with retail price. And now everybody gets a bottle. I've never used the free drink coupon and would be surprised if half the drink coupons got used. Even if all of them were used the costs to Carnival would be about the same.

Pot calling the kettle black. Looneytunes did voice his opinion and others are voicing their opinion which just happens to be different from Looneytunes....not attacking Looneytunes. Why do people feel that if you don't agree with someone you are attacking them?

Many, myself included, just don't get the purpose behind the complaints. First it was triggered by a drink coupon worth less than $10. Second they are making it personal and getting angry over something petty. Third most people if they no longer like a product don't buy it. They don't get all angry over it. You are the consumer and have the power to choose the product that best fits your needs. Businesses constantly change their products. Cruiselines included. If Carnival fits your needs for a vacation you are looking for then great, buy it. If you feel Carnival doesn't fit your needs then purchase something that works for you. If a $10 drink coupon means that much to you that it puts Carnival in the doesn't fit anymore then find a cruiseline that does. No attack...just saying the consumer has the choice to make themselves happy.

Saying people who voice their opinion opposite of what you believe must be working for the cruise line :rolleyes:.....no, they are just people like Looneytunes voicing their opinions. I personally don't have loyalty to any cruiseline and I am not platinum on Carnival by any means...a long ways from it and don't really care if I hit it or not. My last 2 cruises were on NCL and Princess. Why am I not furious with Carnival for taking away a coupon worth $10? Because I think it is a waste of my time energy and get myself that worked up over change. Especially something this small. If the change was big enough to make me rethink sailing Carnival then I would take that into consideration when choosing my cruise and not constantly whine, complain, and get angry over it. The change wasn't personally directed at me. It was a business decision and it is now up to me to purchase their product or not the way it currently is.

I find it confusing and funny that some of you take it so personally. It is just a business decision to change a program. Something businesses do daily. Whether it was to cut costs or in reaction to customer feedback doesn't really matter....what it wasn't was a personal attack on you. They don't know you.

It is not a matter of it being personal. It is not a matter of it being a water or a drink etc. None of us will die for not having a drink voucher or our lives become so much better for water. I personally like the water better than the drink because I have zero desire to drink at lunchtime. Raging alcoholic is not my thing. I have travelled on RCCL, princess as well but have more trips with carnival. I was willing to add trips with carnival because of the VIFP club benefits. To reach higher VIFP levels people spend significant vacation money and don't like a benefit removed changed etc., especially if that's why they began to spend their vacation money with a particular cruiseline in the first place. Its certainly Carnival's prerogative to make changes and for me its better but I respect someone not wanting a benefit removed. Whats next no free laundry service etc? It would be great if they gave us a benefit club that combined all cruises taken with the Carnival Line. Anyways happy cruising to all of you!!!!