Got sick onboard the Celebrity Reflection

hannah_cruise

Someone in our traveling group on our last cruise came down with Noro. He immediately contacted the ship's medical service who came to his cabin and was treated with anti-vomiting/anti-diarrheal meds. confined to cabin for 24 hours. His wife was free to enjoy the ship. Celebrity compensated him with a voucher of some type equal to the per diem cost of his cabin!

Nobody else who'd been in close proximity to him prior to the onset of his symptoms, which came on rapidly in full-force, contacted the virus.

It is in everyone's best interest to seek the services of the shipboard clinic if noro-like symptoms develop in one.

Thank you Host Walt for editing the title.

And thank you everyone, I am feeling better and have been cleared to rejoin the land of the living! (And am also now caught up on innumerable episodes of Downton Abbey, Friends, and The Big Bang Theory) ;)

Arno that is good news. Seems it was just bad luck in this case. I spoke to the room steward and he said he hasn't heard of any large out reaks either and if there were he would be tasked with additional cleaning of surfaces in the hallways, around doors, etc.

Re: food poisoning, we did not eat in the dining room but at the buffet so that makes it very hard to say, no one else suffered ill effects however we did not eat the same thing. I have had food poisoning before however and don't think that was it. The nurse believes it's viral and I tend to agree.

Hopefully no one else will come down with it and everyone can continue to enjoy their cruise!

Also we did receive compensation for the shore excursion with the form from the medical centre.

We just got back from Connie where my DW picked up the flu. She woke up with a high fever and went down to the DR. She was charged to see the DR, and then charged to have the flu test as well as for the TAMIFLU they gave her. I don't want anyone to get the idea that seeing the DR on board is always a freebie.

The only upside was that I won enough on Bingo to cover the medical expenses.

Thanks! This is good to hear!

On a side note...I had to go back to the room early one evening due to a bad sunburn on the top of my feet (shoes were killing me) and the cabin steward made certain that was all that was going on. I think the crew may be trained to keep an eye out for ill passengers because the next day (early morning) she stopped by to check if I was up and out of bed.

This is a bit reassuring, but at the same time a bit alarming as well. There are many reasons people will decide to stay in their cabins - I really don't want cabin stewards feeling it is their duty to see if I am up and about! (other than to determine if they should clean my room). There are many things that could cause various digestive upset that have nothing to do with noro - I may be suffering from a migraine, 'female problems'; I may have colitis or chron's disease or IBS. I may get seasick very easily. I am sure a room steward is supposed to be aware to an extent of the health of their passengers, but it is a fine line to walk between being observant and being intrusive. I have never had an issue in this regard nor do I know anyone who has, so perhaps the room steward in question was just extra solicitous.

Glad you are feeling better Hannah. Did they give you a letter or anything after you visited the Dr? I would think now that you have gone and been diagnosed with a virus that they should refund your excursion cost. I had to go to the Dr (yes, was charged) for Bronchitis and was confined to my cabin for 24 hours. I later got a certificate for $105 for the day as did my husband. I think you should at least get that if they won't refund the excursion cost.

Glad you are feeling better Hannah. Did they give you a letter or anything after you visited the Dr? I would think now that you have gone and been diagnosed with a virus that they should refund your excursion cost. I had to go to the Dr (yes, was charged) for Bronchitis and was confined to my cabin for 24 hours. I later got a certificate for $105 for the day as did my husband. I think you should at least get that if they won't refund the excursion cost.

She was refunded the shore excursion cost with Dr's note. See post #28

Edited by Christine Frances

If you are sick it is worth looking into what the problem is and get it treated before it leads to something that may be more complicated that could result in death. Too many people die by not getting treated for something because they considered it to be a minor annoyance and will cure itself.

A week ago I was at a eye doctor getting a vision problem looked into. In the treatment room I overhead him talking to the lady in the next room. She had a eye irritation for 3 months and was trying to treat it with over the counter eye drops. She came in because her eye was now swollen. Her eye was infected and now it was beyond treatment and she will lose her eye sight in that eye. The doctor said that there is a way to treat it but eenpben if she was a family member he wouldn't recommend it because she would be spending too much time doing office visits and etc and it would not improve her quality of life as she still ahd one good eye and there was no guarantee that her eye sight would be restored. All because she tried to ignore the problem.

happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

We're on Reflection sailing Jan 31, and I want to give everyone on this thread complements on your good advice and sane observations. I wish more cruisers could read this thread. So many times us CCers tend to badmouth the cruise lines for their actions and policies but in the end, the ships have a way to properly handle legitimate complaints and decipher the real from the bogus.

Thanks for all the advice on Dr.s, excursions, food delivery, cabin stewards, per diem reimbursements, etc. Not that other cruise lines don't do the same, but I would have expected nothing less from Celebrity.

PS Please always cut some slack for the room stewards. They are very concerned about our health and enjoyment. These are people who are eager to help and want to be sure all is well. Thank them for checking on you, even if you feel it might be a bit intrusive. In many other cultures, it's a complement to express concern. In my opinion, cruise room-stewards are some of the best workers in the hospitality & tourism industry.

Bon Voyage...

We're on Reflection sailing Jan 31, and I want to give everyone on this thread complements on your good advice and sane observations.

Bon Voyage...

Perhaps we will see you onboard....

Thank you for visiting the ship doctor and getting professional advice. As I said in an earlier post, I was very concerned to think that it might be noro since we will be arriving as you are departing.

Its great that the cruise line compensated you for your missed tour. Your experience has reminded us to be dilligent washing our hands repeatedly.

I hope the rest of your cruise experience is enjoyable

COLD in Ohio and can't wait.

I had minor symptoms of Noro on a Solstice cruise. I suspected Noro because a friend we were travelling with had a severe attack on the first day of the cruise. (she must have picked it up earlier). I went to the doctor and was confined to the cabin for two days. There was no cost for the doctor's visit and the excursion I had booked was refunded. I later received a pro rated certificate for a future cruise, based on twice the daily rate we had paid. I thought I was treated fairly, and my friend, who had never cruised with Celebrity before, was really impressed with the way it was handled.

Sheila