Solo Cruisers, question about dining room seating....

Cruisin'Allie

I just booked a solo cruise for the first time. I have early seating for dinner and wonder how you solo cruisers have been placed in the past. Is it common to be placed with a family/group of three (hopefully not a booth!) or does it seem like it's more common to be placed at a 6 or 8 top? Just wondering. It doesn't really matter either way. I have early seating on my Liberty cruise and anytime dining on my Conquest cruise in December.

TIA! Allie

Edited by Cruisin'Allie

I just booked a solo cruise for the first time. I have early seating for dinner and wonder how you solo cruisers have been placed in the past. Is it common to be placed with a family/group of three (hopefully not a booth!) or does it seem like it's more common to be placed at a 6 or 8 top? Just wondering. It doesn't really matter either way. I have early seating on my Liberty cruise and anytime dining on my Conquest cruise in December.

TIA! Allie

I was seated at an 8 top. One couple and the rest singles. We were all the approximate same age.

And you can ask the maitre d' to move you if the table grouping is really not good. I would not want to be a fourth with a family of 3 for example. Carnival is usually really good about putting singles and solos at an 8 top table.

Go also to chat groups for Singles and Solos.

Always sail solo, more often than not, I am seated with other solos. Never with a family with small child, never with just a family or couples without other solos. One cruise, all the solo females were seated together with the table of solo males next to us.

I have never had a problem with seating arrangements as a solo. At the tables I've been at, there have been other solos and some people traveling together, some all women and on my last cruise, 7 women and one man. Everyone has always gotten along. Many times I've made friends with someone also traveling solo so I have someone to hang out with on the ship.

I too have done many solo cruises and most of the time I find that singles are plunked in here and there where ever there is a open spot and they don't think too much about age and where you are from. One of the cruises was NOT a good experience.

I would suggest that you go on that site we can't mention here where John has a greater presence and will answer posts left and perhaps they will find all the solo travellers and put all of you at a table. Don't think that a solo traveller 10 years older than you will be boring, one table with all solo travellers was awesome, five of us all had a great time and I was the youngest at 39 and the oldest was 80....another table was the same, but one of the single men travelling just wouldn't stop hitting on me...NOT someone I would be attracted too and just wouldn't get the hint that No means NO!!!!

I had a really strange experience on Celebrity where they sat me with one couple and one single male cruiser... I wasn't thrilled with the idea of basically being on a 'double date' with a stranger so I requested to change to a larger table which worked out well.

On Carnival, I've noticed they handle solo cruisers much better. I was once at a table for 10 with 8 solo travelers plus me and one of my friends (we were two single girls and were happy to have a large group table for dinner).

I would definitely recommend finding the Maitre'D on the first day and ask about your table assignment because they can change things around if your original assignment is not to your liking. Have a great cruise! :)

Thanks for the advice deladane. I'll check when I board the ship. I wouldn't like the double date setup either!

misguidedangel, I'd be happier with the 40 and over crowd too. Me and a table of twentysomethings doesn't sound like common ground. I'm a 42 yo empty-nest granny....

Both times, I've asked to be seated at a 2-top alone. I don't mind chatting with neighbors who are friendly, but when I'm sailing sans my best friend, DH, I really enjoy my own company. :)

Point is, unless you wanna let them randomly seat you with anyone, you can ask to be seated alone. :)

I'm not anti-social, I just prefer to avoid the potentially awkward! :D