Hope it isn't true...Allure of the Seas Feb 1, 2015

I got norovirus after a land-based vacation last year and was in bed for a week. Trust me: delayed boarding is nothing. I would not wish norovirus on my worst enemy. I can't imagine having it on a cruise ship.

I always bring clorox wipes and wipe down everything in the cabin everyday, plus tons of hand sanitizer. You can never be too careful.

Have a great cruise!!

I agree with the previous poster that suggested a wipe down of your own room. Bring some sanitizing wipes and do it when you get in. Don't forget the telephone, remotes etc, as well as all other hard surfaces. You don't want to let that spoil your cruise, and it's easy to take some extra precautions yourself!

Have fun!

I agree that Norovirus is nasty, I've had it myself and I also wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. (I'm actually not aware that I have any enemy's)

However, on the point of wiping down everything in your room, I believe this may be overkill. Most wipes are anti bacterial, so will have no effect on the noroVIRUS. It won't do any harm, but it won't stop Noro either.

And, although the norovirus is a quote hardy virus it won't survive for long outside of the human body. So you'd have to occupy an infected cabin quite soon after the infected passenger left.

Your more likely to be infected in a passenger toilet. That's where I take extra precautions. Some people are prehistoric when it come to public convenience behaviour. And I'll, politely say so when I need to.

And, although the norovirus is a quote hardy virus it won't survive for long outside of the human body. So you'd have to occupy an infected cabin quite soon after the infected passenger left.

Your more likely to be infected in a passenger toilet. That's where I take extra precautions. Some people are prehistoric when it come to public convenience behaviour. And I'll, politely say so when I need to.

I believe it can survive a month or so on a hard surface outside the human body, and a week or so on fabric. A lot of wipes are antiviral due to their chlorine content.

Granted, it's passed through, ahem, bodily functions. It would be moot if people took proper care after being sick to avoid giving Noro a tour of the room or even ship.

That said, We have never wiped down our room. However, we do take proper precautions like we do anywhere. We never eat unless we sanitize or wash our hands. We never ever touch the remote and then go to bed or touch anything else in the room we may accidentally touch prior to eating. Outside of Noro, we also keep our hands away from those lovely viral entry holes on our face.

Edited by anzio

Agreed on this. I've been told that in some cultures/areas, handwashing after using the bathroom just isn't a thing that is done. Even at work, I use a papertowel to touch everything.

The best thing you can do is try to keep yourself from getting sick. I don't even count on other people to not be sick or practice good hygiene.

Agreed on this. I've been told that in some cultures/areas, handwashing after using the bathroom just isn't a thing that is done. Even at work, I use a papertowel to touch everything.

The best thing you can do is try to keep yourself from getting sick. I don't even count on other people to not be sick or practice good hygiene.

It disgusting at the amount of people that do not wash their hands after using the restroom! yuck!

Do the royal ships have paper towels in the restrooms or is it a hand dryer? I have gotten in the habit of using the paper towel to turn the water off and open the door after washing...and I haven't been on a cruise in 7 years so I wasn't sure.

It disgusting at the amount of people that do not wash their hands after using the restroom! yuck!

Do the royal ships have paper towels in the restrooms or is it a hand dryer? I have gotten in the habit of using the paper towel to turn the water off and open the door after washing...and I haven't been on a cruise in 7 years so I wasn't sure.

They are paper towels :) Sometimes I discard the first one if it's been exposed to the elements.

At least the Oasis class ships have automated faucets and we hit the automatic door button to get out.

Edited by anzio

When that is an option in any rest room, I do it - I have been known to kick it with my foot (not using my hand or even elbow). :D

Oh that's fantastic to hear... I'm not the only one that uses my feet when dealing with public restrooms! :)

I believe it can survive a month or so on a hard surface outside the human body, and a week or so on fabric. A lot of wipes are antiviral due to their chlorine content.

Granted, it's passed through, ahem, bodily functions. It would be moot if people took proper care after being sick to avoid giving Noro a tour of the room or even ship.

That said, We have never wiped down our room. However, we do take proper precautions like we do anywhere. We never eat unless we sanitize or wash our hands. We never ever touch the remote and then go to bed or touch anything else in the room we may accidentally touch prior to eating. Outside of Noro, we also keep our hands away from those lovely viral entry holes on our face.

WOW. I've obviously listened to some wrong information somewhere.

Weeks on hard surfaces, 12 days on fabric!

I might have to bring some of those wipes after all.

I was on the 1/26-2/1 sailing and yes it's true. People call me crazy for using a paper napkin to handle tongs at buffets and using a knuckle to push elevator buttons but we didn't get it. Just follow all precautions and you will be fine!

The cruise line does all it can to prevent the spread of this nasty bug but ultimately it is in OUR hands as passengers. I can't tell you how many people don't even realize that every time they put their hands on something then touch their mouth or eyes that they've just infected themselves. I saw so many putting their room key card in their mouth. No wonder norovirus spreads so quickly. There were even people fighting to get away from the employees trying to give us hand sanitizer. Amazing!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was on the cruise (Jan.25 to Feb 1) and came down with gastrointestinal illness on day 7. I was very cautious on the cruise. Hand washing, did not eat in the buffet ext. The ship officers said only 80 people became ill but the nurse said 20. I think it was a lot more than they were willing to admit This was my 30th cruise and have never been sick before.

Yes it is true I sailed this ship from Jan 25, 2015 to Feb. 1, 2015 we had over 80 people sick with the Norovirus and a few more with the flu.

Although I saw many of the staff cleaning the ship my room was dirty when we checked in, I feel the ship is under staffed to handle over 6000 people, plus keep the spaces clean.

Just Wash, Wash, Wash your hands.

We have over 6 trips with this cruise line and have no children with us, however we had balloons and cheerios, under the bed. The bathroom was dirty and the sofa and rug were iffy. We are putting together our own sanitizing kit to travel with for now on, my Husband got sick in Dec. 2014 just after a RCI trip and this RCI trip my Husband and Brother got sick both ends if you know what I mean:( I am blessed I did not and have not gotten sick. Both Husband and Brother are still home today 2/2/15 sick.

Hi,

We speak once again.

Sorry to hear about the news but on our cruise we had the similar news. They handed everyone this letter as we walk into terminal 18 so it has happened before on the Allure. We didn't receive any pre cruise email and only found out about it when we got there but I guess they didn’t do any deep cleaning as we boarded the ship at 11:30.

I know it sucks as it’s on your special birthday and you want to be on the ship early to celebrate but it’s not a long delay and has no impact on you guys arriving on time for the first port.

Maybe you can take advantage of the situation by going to a local store by your hotel to buy a bottle of wine or something to drink for your birthday. FLL liquor stores don’t open until 12 noon on Sundays so we couldn’t get any wine prior to sailing as we wanted to board early but now you have the extra time, you can go get wine at 12 noon prior to boarding.

Don’t let a small delay like this ruin your special day. Have a great cruise.

15558140343_d1b55c8cb7_b.jpg

We got this letter 2 days after take off Husband was already sick.

There were even people fighting to get away from the employees trying to give us hand sanitizer. Amazing!!

Some people just don't like the alcohol sanitizers. They dry out your skin and are not effective against Noro. My mom will not use the alcohol sanitizers on board but she is OCD about washing her hands and also uses BZK wipes after sitting down at the table and just before eating dinner.

Yes it is true I sailed this ship from Jan 25, 2015 to Feb. 1, 2015 we had over 80 people sick with the Norovirus and a few more with the flu.

Although I saw many of the staff cleaning the ship my room was dirty when we checked in, I feel the ship is under staffed to handle over 6000 people, plus keep the spaces clean.

Just Wash, Wash, Wash your hands.

We have over 6 trips with this cruise line and have no children with us, however we had balloons and cheerios, under the bed. The bathroom was dirty and the sofa and rug were iffy. We are putting together our own sanitizing kit to travel with for now on, my Husband got sick in Dec. 2014 just after a RCI trip and this RCI trip my Husband and Brother got sick both ends if you know what I mean:( I am blessed I did not and have not gotten sick. Both Husband and Brother are still home today 2/2/15 sick.

I washed washed washed and still ended up with it. I think way more than 80 people had it. As I said in an earlier post when I went down to the nurse she told me I did not have noro because I had a low grade fever and norovirus you need a high grade fever. With that she Gave me nausea medicine and sent me on my way telling me I could walk around the ship no quarantine was required. I quarantined myself and family voluntarily (it was day 7). When I got home went online e and there it was with noro you have a low grade fever. I think royal was covering up the true amount of the cases to cover their rear.

I was on the sailing as well, I ended up getting it on day five. Have always been good about using hand sanitizer and washing hands. I have a toddler and luckily she didn't get it. We only saw our table waitress the first night, the second night they said she was sick... I had wondered if I got it from her since she handles my plates/food. No way of avoiding that if that's the case!

Sent from my iPad using Forums m

We were on that cruise as well and I heard a large number of people were sick from fellow passengers. I did not see the staff doing any extra cleaning and in fact things were very dirty. Our stateroom had food all over as well as garbage and our balcony was a mess. Luckily we did not get sick but I saw absolutely no preventative measures in place once people starting getting ill.

I was on the sailing as well, I ended up getting it on day five. Have always been good about using hand sanitizer and washing hands. I have a toddler and luckily she didn't get it. We only saw our table waitress the first night, the second night they said she was sick... I had wondered if I got it from her since she handles my plates/food. No way of avoiding that if that's the case!

Sent from my iPad using Forums m

I think way more than 80 people were infected. This was a total cover-up. They never admitted that I had Norwalk virus but I know I did. Vomiting and fever on day 7 cannot be dismissed as food poisoning. I wouldn't be surprised if as many as 25% people were infected. When checking out and departing the cruise ship I felt nauseous and spoke with the Royal Caribbean representatives at the port and they asked me if I had a white tag. I told them I did not but I felt like I was going to be sick so they let me get ahead of the line. Royal Caribbean totally dropped the ball on this whole thing.