Hope it isn't true...Allure of the Seas Feb 1, 2015

Harry, it is a bummer because I would love to board early but at least I know hopefully the ship will be clean and free of germs. We have cruised before with Novo but have never received a letter in advance. I have already started my celebrations last week and will continue for the next week as we are cruising with friends. We are flying out in the morning and definitely going to hit the liquor store in Ft Lauderdale 😃 Can't wait to get out of this cold️ Gail

Stop by the drug store, too, and buy your own large bottle of hand sanitizer to keep in your cabin bathroom. Have a great cruise!!

We were on the same sailing as harryfat1 (Dec. 14 Allure), and also received the info about the previous sailing reporting Noro. That was the first we had heard of any problems on the previous sailing.

When we boarded we knew the rooms weren't ready, but after a quick bite at the Wipeout Cafe we went up to our floor (10) just to peek around (typical nosy passengers LOL). The corridor door was locked, and we went back to the elevators. The doors opened and crew guys came out of the elevators in full hazmat suits - carrying pump sprayer containers - getting ready to go in and work on the rooms. That was kind of a scary sight, but then again, they were taking it really seriously and that was reassuring.

I had some sanitizer (Lysol) with me, and still went over the remote, light switches, bathroom, etc. We did not get sick on the cruise - but about three weeks after we got home we got the cold/respiratory illness that's been going around here. It figures.

Edited by SeaHunt

I was on a cruise on a Celebrity ship that was undergoing extensive cleaning b/c they were in week 4 or 5 of significant noro. Somehow I never got a text nor an email and I showed up around noon. The wait was staggering, as it was obvious I wasn't the only person not to get the notification. We waited for HOURS and some of the older (even older than I AM :eek:) cruisers were having trouble waiting and the EMT's were making regular rounds. My advice would be to show up on the later side of suggested boarding time. It was a very unpleasant start to the cruise, though I was 100% appreciative that there was deep cleaning. Just bummed that for whatever reason I tend NOT to get notifications.

Some people just don't like the alcohol sanitizers. They dry out your skin and are not effective against Noro.

Both incorrect. It doesn't stay on your hands long enough to have any undesirable effects, and they're usually formulated quite well. VF481 is indeed effective against Noro.

Additionally, I know your mom washes her hands, but the addition of sanitizer does not hurt. Luckily on my sailings, almost everyone uses the sanitizer, and I'm always happy to see it. I just give those that don't a nice dirty look :)

Edited by anzio

We waited for HOURS and some of the older (even older than I AM :eek:) cruisers were having trouble waiting and the EMT's were making regular rounds.

If you're in such bad health that sitting in a chair and doing nothing for HOURS makes you have to receive emergency medical treatment, why is such a person on a cruise? Isn't this what cruising is?

Was there more to the story?

Annoying? Yes

Boring? Yes

Stupid? Yes

Dangerous? Not that I'm aware of.

Of course, I *VERY VERY VERY VERY BRIEFLY* dated a girl (in her 20s) who had to be evacuated by ambulance to the hospital once because she was standing in line to ride a roller coaster and didn't want to ride it. My comment was "couldn't you have just said you didn't want to ride it?" She said "It just overwhelmed me so much to think about riding it." I didn't really get much of the rest of the story because that was our last date.

We were on the Jan 25th cruise, and neither of us got sick. We DEFINITELY saw the stateroom attendants cleaning both the rooms and corridors outside the rooms. Also noticed them in the elevator lobby. They were doing this later than the normal hours we usually saw them. At one point I was walking down the hall, and the attendant stuck her head out a door and told me not to touch the railings as they had a solution on them. I have no complaints.

I think way more than 80 people were infected. This was a total cover-up. They never admitted that I had Norwalk virus but I know I did. Vomiting and fever on day 7 cannot be dismissed as food poisoning. I wouldn't be surprised if as many as 25% people were infected. When checking out and departing the cruise ship I felt nauseous and spoke with the Royal Caribbean representatives at the port and they asked me if I had a white tag. I told them I did not but I felt like I was going to be sick so they let me get ahead of the line. Royal Caribbean totally dropped the ball on this whole thing.

What on EARTH is RCI covering up? That their passengers are disgusting individuals who cannot be bothered to wash their hands regularly? It's not like the cruise staff intentionally infected passengers so that they could deep clean the ship during the already stressful turn-around time between cruises! I get that you're unhappy that you and your family are not feeling well. That is annoying and sad. I hate when my kids don't feel well, but trying so hard to "blame" the cruise line is ridiculous.

The cruise line cannot control the behavior of thousands of passengers and crew on a ship. They quarantined those who confessed to having symptoms, but many people could have shed the illness without any symptoms or lied about having symptoms and spread germs. You were sick on the last day of the cruise and the medical PROFESSIONALS determined you did not have an illness that required quarantine, for whatever reason.

There is no way that they "dropped the ball" on working to contain one of the most prevalent viruses in the world. They admitted to passengers on the ship and future passengers that they were dealing with a very contagious virus, they were not trying to hide the fact that people were ill. But they were not about to quarantine everyone on the ship to their staterooms for the duration of the cruise!

We were on that cruise as well and I heard a large number of people were sick from fellow passengers. I did not see the staff doing any extra cleaning and in fact things were very dirty. Our stateroom had food all over as well as garbage and our balcony was a mess. Luckily we did not get sick but I saw absolutely no preventative measures in place once people starting getting ill.

I am a a night time ship walker since I do not sleep well, I have the privilege of seeing night time staff cleaning and sanitizing, the staff were also on top of the over hangs on the boardwalk just under the balcony's, above Johnny rockets, Rita's, and the other shops scrubbing, and painting.

I did think it odd to paint the black iron benches on the boardwalk while so many people were on the ship and could not use them as a wet paint sign was posted to them.

"I did think it odd to paint the black iron benches on the boardwalk while so many people were on the ship and could not use them as a wet paint sign was posted to them"

I noticed/thought that as well...it was probably the busiest time of the day

Do everything you can to protect yourself while on board. We were on the Crown Princess ship a few years ago that returned to Ft. Lauderdale before we got to any ports due to over 300 passengers having the Noro. My husband was one of them. Our same ship also had the virus the week before. We were delayed all day before boarding while they cleaned the ship. The problem though, we believe, is that the crew probably still had it. It doesn't take much for the Noro to spread, and spread fast. Try not to touch much. Use your own cabin bathroom instead of the public ones, if possible. Wash your hands often with hot water and soap, and use the hand sanitizers often as well... especially before eating. Have a great cruise, and try not to worry about it... but just be cautious and safe.

Hope it isn't so... Just received this from RC....:mad:

QUOTE]

I've asked many people( if it is your cruise morning and you are sick, are you still gonna go? All of them said YES.

Nobody cares about making others sick. It's my vacation and i'm going!

I don't get it, buy the insurance and stay home! I don't want to be sick at your expense.

I don't understand how anyone could have missed all the cleaning going on. Staff seemed to be in every corner of the ship cleaning. My previous comment from another related thread:

I was on the Jan 25 sailing of the Allure. I did not get sick and have not since I got off the ship this past Sunday. I personally did not directly know of anyone getting noro, although the Captain did say in the captain's talk on Jan 31 that there were about 80 people who had the virus. There was a handout in the cabins about the outbreak and the strong warnings to wash with soap and water and use the hand sanitizer around the ship. Also all salt and pepper shakers were removed from the Windjammer and the dinning room from what I saw. My wife and I did not eat any food with our hands and frequently washed and used the sanitizer liquid. We also avoided touching common surfaces like walls and stair railings. RCI staff were constantly cleaning all surfaces including the chairs in the Windjammer. Despite all the warnings and notices I still witnessed adults and children grabbing food off the buffet with their hands, people with fingers in their noses, and men using the bathroom without washing afterwards. Probably amazing that only 80 people got sick. With the sloppy practices by some of the guests I think RCI did a good job of containing the outbreak.

People trying to get away from the hand sanitizers may know the truth. Really doesn't work the way it is used on a cruise ship. You need to use a lot more and keep it on your hands a lot longer then I've ever seen anyone do on the ship.

Handwashing is much more effective if done right. The sanitizer thing is really just kind of a show to make you think about it. Or there for those people too stupid to wash their hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Attempting to clean hands using alcohol can't possibly make things less sanitary. So why not? Of all formulas, PURELL VF481 is most effective against norovirus. I cant help but notice that the cruise ship seems to hide which brand they are using.

http://www.purell.com/illness-outbreaks/norovirus

Edited by TubbyMrT

Sorry to disappoint you but bleach does not completely kill the norovirus. You need hydrogen peroxide to do that. The norovirus lives in the stomach when contacted and can tolerate the harsh stomach acids. To eradicate the virus you need something stronger than bleach. It's good advice to just not touch anything that someone else might have had their hands on. Tough to do in a buffet though. ABBA Good Day.

Attempting to clean hands using alcohol can't possibly make things less sanitary. So why not? Of all formulas, PURELL VF481 is most effective against norovirus. I cant help but notice that the cruise ship seems to hide which brand they are using.

http://www.purell.com/illness-outbreaks/norovirus

The sanitizer dispensers on the Oasis are clearly marked Purell. I did not notice what was written on the bottles that were hand-held for those that missed the ones on the stand.

In addition, the rails in the hallways were constantly being cleaned. I touched it and noticed it was wet and dripping. I asked our attendant why they were wet and he told me they are sanitizing them. He did not say with what, but they were wet all the time. I bet they washed them down at least twice a day.

sorry to disappoint you but bleach does not completely kill the norovirus. You need hydrogen peroxide to do that. The norovirus lives in the stomach when contacted and can tolerate the harsh stomach acids. To eradicate the virus you need something stronger than bleach. It's good advice to just not touch anything that someone else might have had their hands on. Tough to do in a buffet though. Abba good day.

abba???????

This. It's very inconsiderate to board the ship knowing you will make others sick.

I've asked many people( if it is your cruise morning and you are sick, are you still gonna go? All of them said YES.

Nobody cares about making others sick. It's my vacation and i'm going!

I don't get it, buy the insurance and stay home! I don't want to be sick at your expense.

• 6 months later...

We were on the Allure and got off on 2/1 they were crazy sanitizing and questioning people. I have been on ten cruises and am always so cautious ,holding buffet spoons with a napkin, sanitizing my hands constantly. Call me paranoid if you want but so far, so good. It's so easy to catch something (I work in healthcare) people are nasty and you just have to protect yourself!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk