Suite class. Quality of drinks.

Balloon Man

I realise this topic will have a limited and possibly not sympathetic audience, but having recently spent a couple of weeks on Infinity in a Royal Suite (I know, poor me) it seems that while Celebrity is making industry leading steps to enhance the experience for its high-end guests (we're spending the kids' inheritance) it hasn't thought the subject through where alcoholic drinks are concerned.

In our suite we were entitled to two litres of spirits. You could change the standard offering but only for other bottom-of-the-range brands. I gave ours away (please don't anybody mention charity) and went to drink pre-dinner each evening in Michael's where I could enjoy decent whiskies, brandies etc. So no saving to Celebrity.

My wife isn't a spirit drinker. Well ... but we won't go into that. She likes wine. In Michael's she could have Californian (?) champagne, Italian Prosecco - which was better - or a very limited selection of red and white wines. To have the wine she wanted, not super expensive, we had to go to Vines. Why?

I can't complain about the spirits in Michael's, but other than that we were living in a gilded cage that missed the point. Suite guests, for whatever reason, have more disposable income. They drink brands and wines they like, not gut rot or cheap imitations.

Whoever is responsible for making these beverage choices for Celebrity on their behalf needs to be educated to understand the needs of suite guests.

And as a post script can I ask why in our suite I have to pay for anything I take out of the fridge but can pick-up the same bottles of water or coke etc. in Michael's and take them back to our cabin? It doesn't make any financial sense but is a burden to the guests Celebrity really wants to retain.

I realise this topic will have a limited and possibly not sympathetic audience, but having recently spent a couple of weeks on Infinity in a Royal Suite (I know, poor me) it seems that while Celebrity is making industry leading steps to enhance the experience for its high-end guests (we're spending the kids' inheritance) it hasn't thought the subject through where alcoholic drinks are concerned.

In our suite we were entitled to two litres of spirits. You could change the standard offering but only for other bottom-of-the-range brands. I gave ours away (please don't anybody mention charity) and went to drink pre-dinner each evening in Michael's where I could enjoy decent whiskies, brandies etc. So no saving to Celebrity.

My wife isn't a spirit drinker. Well ... but we won't go into that. She likes wine. In Michael's she could have Californian (?) champagne, Italian Prosecco - which was better - or a very limited selection of red and white wines. To have the wine she wanted, not super expensive, we had to go to Vines. Why?

I can't complain about the spirits in Michael's, but other than that we were living in a gilded cage that missed the point. Suite guests, for whatever reason, have more disposable income. They drink brands and wines they like, not gut rot or cheap imitations.

Whoever is responsible for making these beverage choices for Celebrity on their behalf needs to be educated to understand the needs of suite guests.

And as a post script can I ask why in our suite I have to pay for anything I take out of the fridge but can pick-up the same bottles of water or coke etc. in Michael's and take them back to our cabin? It doesn't make any financial sense but is a burden to the guests Celebrity really wants to retain.

You have some excellent points. If you have not passed them on to Celebrity corporate, you should. I think the Suite Class "experience" is so new to Celebrity, that they are still learning, and making adjustments. Maybe by April, when it is rolled out in full, they will have fine-tuned it.

I believe that this topic should be of some concern to Celebrity as they shift their focus to the higher margin cruiser. I've been to MC on four different ships, some multiple times,and have always been able to take drinks from MC as needed. There have been some reports of people being asked not to remove drinks, but these have been a clear minority. I've asked two Michael's Club Hosts about the policy and they have both said that while the official policy is not to take drinks, they would never stop any guest from doing so. In fact, I've been ENCOURAGED to take water,ice tea and soda. The bottle of sparkling wine, once a Zenith perk,has been ended since better options are available via the Premium Package that remains a Zenith benefit. The new high Suite perks that start in April expand drink and dining options. These include a Premium Package and Specialty dining packages. However, room service will still (as I understand) be excluded. Why? I don't know. You get what you pay for and if in a Royal,PH,or Reflection Suite you will certainly be paying enough to get what you desire within reason. Example of "not within reason" : a $8000 per bottle wine).

I've only cruised in a RS a four times. Whenever we needed something we brought it to the attention to the person in charge of that department. Cheap booze is a pet peeve of mine as well. Last time when we arrived in our suite, I was surprised to find two of my favorite bottles of bourbon. Just ask, your wish may come true. In regards to your overall concerns, write Celebrity about your issues. In the future you likely have a surprise when you cruise in a RS or any other cabin you choose.

BalloonMan...you should join the discussion here tomorrow (Friday) with Celebrity Management and give them that suggestion. It sounds like the Celebrity marketing and operations/finance departments aren't on the same page....or someone on the ship hasn't read the memo :)

Don't the passengers in the Royal suite also get the premium drink pack?

In Michael's you think that they would serve other drinks that are available using a drink pack. If you are in the Elite lounge for the evening happy hour you are limited to a menu of drinks but you can order anything you want by either paying for them or using your drink pack.

Drink up 🍸🍺🍻🍷🍹

We are booked in. Royal Suite on the Infinity March 2016. How was the condition of the suite itself. I am sure Celebrity will make changes to the hard liquor in the suite. They should give you a bottle choice from the top shelf brands.

Did you ask for other wines in Michael's Club? I know when we were on board, they stocked up with better [and proper] champagne when someone asked. I did not think to ask because, when told what was available, I just asked for a Bellini instead.

As to your final question, it is one of timing. Michael's Club for higher-end suite guests was announced as part of the new suite benefits being introduced in April this year. You were lucky enough to take advantage of the one benefit introduced early. From April, you will receive sodas, beers and waters in suite without charge.

I thin the problem is mostly solved come March when the mini bar becomes free, the premium package and specialty dining is free, in a RS. I think you just cruises during this in between time before the benefits were fully rolled out.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The standard offering in RS and PH under the soon to change policy in April in our experience has been an Absolut Vodka and a good quality Bourbon that we tend to exchange for Tanqueray gin. Would not say these were cheap and cheerful by any standard. Michaels Club has had Perrier Jouet Champagne and several higher end wines available by the glass when we have enquired. As of April 15 RS and PH get a full premium drink package and comped mini bar.

The one area I did take exception on my first ever trip on Infinity that conveniently happened to be in a Penthouse with a premium drink package was the somewhat surreal situation whereby we were in a huge suite with half the crew following us around to see if we had everything we required and to then discover that the lone bottle of Evian in the cabin had a charge attached to it. Took a stroll down to guest relations to mention this as I prefer a sparkling water before bed and the bars were closed. Result was a 4 pack of Perrier produced there and then followed by gallons of various types appearing in the room the following day.

In summary my conclusion was the best approach was to politely let the people tasked with looking after you know what you like and on most occasions they will deliver as they want a happy passenger. You could spend a lifetime getting to know what your friends enjoy but the crew on a ship have only a few days to figure you out so why not assist them:)

Were you contacted by the Michaels Club concierge in advance or your departure, and would this be a good time to ask for premium replacements in your room? For example, I'm in a RS and would prefer 2 bottles of Macallan scotch in lieu of the standard scotch and vodka, and would like to see a good red wine and a good champagne in the Club itself.

Or is it best to just wait until we're on board to request from the Concierge and Butler? Also, we love fresh OJ...I would like to see a quart in our fridge (refreshed regularly)..I was told fresh OJ is complimentary for suite guests,before the new perks are rolled out in April, so would this type of request be easy to accommodate? I too like sparkling water...replenished bottles of Pellegrino in the room would be nice.

Edited by soxfan2013

Were you contacted by the Michaels Club concierge in advance or your departure, and would this be a good time to ask for premium replacements in your room (for example, I'm in a RS and would prefer 2 bottles of Macallan scotch) and a good red wine and a good champagne in the Club itself, or just wait until on board to request from the Concierge and Butler? Also, we love fresh OJ...I would like to see a quart in our fridge (refreshed regularly)..I was told fresh OJ is complimentary for suite guests, so would this type request be easy to accommodate. I too like sparkling water...replenished bottles of Pellegrino would be nice.

These are reasonable types of requests and I would expect the water and juice to be complimentary though it may be easier to just ask your butler (and maybe more likely to not see a charge before April). As far as the spirits go, they generally replace them with a similar level to the complimentary ones, so that may be hit or miss. You can of course buy what you like. As far as wines in Michael's club, just ask for what you'd like the first night and the bartender will fetch it. It's hard to be specific as stock varies. I wouldn't expect them to pour wines like Far Niente, Cayamus or Screaming Eagle gratis even if they are generally onboard, though we do see them in some airport lounges. Expect the wines available in the premium package to be available.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thank you all for your considered responses. I had actually expected some flack.

I admit it didn't occur to me to ask for better spirits in our RS. Maybe there should be a list provided. And it didn't occur to me to ask if Michaels could provide the Sancerre I bought for my wife in Vines. I just looked in the fridge and assumed what I could see was what was available. When we sail on Eclipse's first cruise under the new suite rules late April I will see what has changed and ask for anything I need.

Let me end with another little quirk of the system. Mixers for my two litres of spirits are provided free. But when I took water out of the fridge to drink with my Scotch I was charged. On complaining I was told that water is not a mixer. There are obviously no Scots in the line's higher echelons.

Thank you all for your considered responses. I had actually expected some flack.

I admit it didn't occur to me to ask for better spirits in our RS. Maybe there should be a list provided. And it didn't occur to me to ask if Michaels could provide the Sancerre I bought for my wife in Vines. I just looked in the fridge and assumed what I could see was what was available. When we sail on Eclipse's first cruise under the new suite rules late April I will see what has changed and ask for anything I need.

Let me end with another little quirk of the system. Mixers for my two litres of spirits are provided free. But when I took water out of the fridge to drink with my Scotch I was charged. On complaining I was told that water is not a mixer. There are obviously no Scots in the line's higher echelons.

Again, this was then, and as of April, this all changes. They DO realize it is odd, and there have been policies that don't make much sense. You won't have to worry again. That being said, many hotels charge for bottle water, yet provide it free in lounges and of course, you were free to take it out of the tap so you had access to unlimited free, purified and tested water for your mixer. One more point, if you just ask your butler for many things, it will just appear, as they have their ways too.

Finally, on Celebrity, it is Cellar Masters, not "Vines" :)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

DW and I had no issues in getting the 2 bottles of Spirits in our RS this past summer replaced with a bottle of Belvidere Vodka and a bottle of Makers Mark, the MC host was more than happy to make sure this happened. The MC bartender was also more than happy to bring in whatever Spirits and Wine we requested, all we had to do was ask and from there on out, he had it a the ready....

What we missed in MC was the chance to have a frozen drink. Their drink menu is very limited. We never had any appetizers brought out and asked for nuts twice. Finally just went down and got a drink to take to dinner. Would much prefer flexibility to choose any bar. Why sit in a closed in room looking at each other so we could have a free drink?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What we missed in MC was the chance to have a frozen drink. Their drink menu is very limited. We never had any appetizers brought out and asked for nuts twice. Finally just went down and got a drink to take to dinner. Would much prefer flexibility to choose any bar. Why sit in a closed in room looking at each other so we could have a free drink?

There is absolutely NO reason. The 'club' is only partly about the bar service, and much about the service it provides. If you don't like the lounge, no one forces anyone to use it, so don't.

As for informational purposes:

Pre April 2015: They would fetch a frozen drink for you from another bar. I agree, food was limited. Less than idea.

Problem solved as of 4/2015:

Post April 2015: Will not be an issue, RS and PH get Premium drink package anyway, so just go to any bar. CS is the odd man out, but many bookings come with Classic Drink package. $23.60/day for two people to upgrade to premium, still less than an RS and come with the added benefit.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Whilst I know there were various food offerings in michaels I seriously could not any more food! After having a tantrum about my food allergies and the canapes there were a full three dinner plates of canapes delivered to my suite every afternoon. Did I want more food?

Our MC bartender was more than happy to have a Strawberry Daiquiri brought in from another bar when DW wanted one. Surprised to hear that you never saw appetizers in the club, we had them every night in Silhouette this past summer. There was a great continental breakfast every morning and a spread of cookies and brownies were laid out in between breakfast and when the appetizers came out mid-afternoon.....

Wish they would be consistent. I asked about a Piña Colada and was told no. Never any breakfast items or cookies. We ate in Blu. Sounds like lots depends on the person in charge of the room. In fact we came down several times for drinks and the bartender was gone.