British Airways Weight Restrictions

Foxhill

If you have flown on British Airways lately, can you tell us whether they weighed your carry on luggage? They restrict World Travelers to a 13 lb. carry on weight and the suitcase alone weighs almost that. How strict are they with this policy? Do they actually weigh the carry on luggage? :confused:

Thanks for any input from recent BA flyers...

Foxhill, you will want to limit your carry-on to a light bag that contains only high-value items or essentials (ie. laptop, expensive camera, prescription medications). Put the rest of your items in the checked baggage. You can take 2 checked bags weighing up to 70 pounds each. So your total baggage allowance (both checked and carry-on) is over 150 pounds.

You MIGHT be able to get by being a few pounds overweight with your carry-on bag, but the danger is that if you are caught being over the limit you might have your carry-on taken from you and put into checked baggage at the gate. It would be safer just to the bulk of your things in checked baggage.

If your suitcase weighs almost that much on its own, it is totally unsuitable for cabin baggage, as far as BA is concerned at any rate. As SPI_Rick says, you are only supposed to bring on a light bag with valuables and essentials. Everything else should be checked.

I seldom have my cabin baggage weighed by BA, but that's because it looks both small and light. That is the key to getting away with a few pounds extra. Anything that doesn't has a good chance of being "investigated" at some stage during the check-in or boarding process, especially if the flight is busy.

I have researched this and found out this for our travels. My friends and I are going to London via Virgin. After 3 days will be flying to Barcelona via BA. We will only be allowed 2 checked bags with a total combined weight of 53lbs. Also 1 carry-on 13lbs as others have stated. Hope this helps. We will be considered euro flyers.

Archived