Docking at Portofino

JackieB500

Could anyone tell me if they have actually docked at Portofino when on a Silversea cruise? I know that they are supposed to anchor in the bay and then used tenders, but after reading several reviews it seems that on many occasions they dock in Genoa due to weather conditions, even in Summer. The cruise that I am looking at for next year is in Portofino from 8am until 11pm, which is one of the attractions. It is quite tricky to get to Portofino from Genoa, especially at night, and Silversea don't provide transport when they have had to divert. Any information would be appreciated.

There is no dock for a ship, even a small one, in Portofino. I have been there twice. It is always a tender port. The tender ride is short, and it is actually very pleasant sitting on the ship in the harbor looking over at the town and anticipating a wonderful day there.

Make sure you go up to John Brown's castle for the classic view of Portofino and then walk around the peninsula. If you have time go over to the monastery - it's worth the walk. I found one of the dockside restaurants had the best pesto I've ever eaten.

Santa Margherita is also a gem. If you like dried mushrooms - go to Seghezzo to buy some.

This is a beautiful part of the world. I hope you enjoy it.

A beautiful part of the world. We tendered in from The Spirit and have visited many times since.

If you have time, take a boat to San Fruttuoso, a bay accessible only by boat (or on foot) where you will find a beautiful beach, an abbey and several lovely restaurants.