Upsell Offer from Princess

TwoCruisers

Just returned from 10 days on the Royal and possibly hesitation paid off in our upsell offers. Booked inside and transferred to a TA for the first time. She called one evening while I was at Fantasmic in Disney World with a lot of noise. Said I would call her back. She called Princess the next morning and left a message we might be interested in a balcony for $149 each. Figured it would be obstructed but know some of them are not that bad. When they called her back the obs balc were gone but offered us deluxe obs balc for same price. It was E108 with the larger balcony. I told her only if available in queen bed config. It was not, so turned it down. Boo Hoo. The next day Princess called back offering a regular balcony, unobstructed on Baja deck for the SAME PRICE. Our first balcony and it was fabulous!

I actually called Princess today to inquire how the upgrades work since I have never been offered and my upcoming cruise has 24 full suites left and is running out of mini's. I was told it is a different department and they do some sort of lottery.

Our "upsell" offer came from someone in yield management. We were first upgraded from the lowest cost balcony guarantee to a deluxe unobstructed balcony. Friends who booked after I did received their confirmed cabin before I did. They were assigned midship unobstructed balconies. I was told so many different stories as to how guarantees are assigned it is hard to really know. I was told that it wasn't necessarily when you booked date wise but done by the promotional rate. I believe "upgrades" are assigned by the computer ; upsells by yield management.

Your TA has access to all of that information.

Yes, but if the TA has a dr's appt and is gone for 3 hours it's on her voicemail, or she might have long winded clients at her desk.

In my case my TA was there and called me right away. Princess would not be put on hold as they were busy calling out.

It would be nice if Princess would cut out the step where they call the TA who then calls the client, gets an answer and then calls Princess back. When I called the extension Princess left, it went straight to voicemail and it was more than 2 hours before I got a call back.

Yes, but if the TA has a dr's appt and is gone for 3 hours it's on her voicemail, or she might have long winded clients at her desk.

In my case my TA was there and called me right away. Princess would not be put on hold as they were busy calling out.

It would be nice if Princess would cut out the step where they call the TA who then calls the client, gets an answer and then calls Princess back. When I called the extension Princess left, it went straight to voicemail and it was more than 2 hours before I got a call back.

They actually send emails to the Travel Agent with the offer. They do it at the end of the working day (California time). So if you call back that night, the travel agent would receive voice mail and would leave a voice mail for Princess. Princess then calls back in the order of the calls that came in.

Edited by Coral

Since they're calling them Captains Circle offers and they have our personal info, it would be way better to contact us direct.

Yeah it may sound better but I doubt Princess will ever go that route.

If you want total control its best to book direct.