How far prior to sail date does RCCL start offering "paid upgrade" offers?

dogsambam

I have been reading so much about theses "paid upgrade" email offers. If you are one of the C&A members who this may get offered this, how far before the sail date does it usually happen?

I always continue to watch prices on different catagory cabins after we book.

I currently have 2 future cruises, one on MSC one on Royal.

If I see a price on a higher catagory drop significantly, I call my TA & upgrade & pay the difference. It is do big deal to do so.

I also read the 'roll calls' for my exact cruise on this site. Last year someone posted

they were having a mega sale on the GS cabins. I called & was able to upgrade from my JS to a GS for only $100.

Some other people did the same thing.

Being proactive gets you the upgrade. I have been on almost 50 cruises & NEVER been OFFERED an upgrade direct from the cruiseline.

We received an upgrade but only because there was an error made with our reservation. We initially booked 2 inside cabins (for 3 ppl in each cabin) on Quantum for the 2/20/15 sailing back in May 2014, but one of the rooms was "coded" wrong and only allowed for 2 ppl in the cabin and not 3. It is shown on the website as having a sofa bed and apparently it does not. I received a call from RC towards the beginning of Jan explaining the problem and to correct it they upgraded both cabins to balcony cabins at no additional cost to me. I was overly satisfied with this resolution although I won't be able to experience the new virtual balcony....I guess I'll have to book it on the Anthem.

If you mean upsells, we've only received them by phone and it was within two weeks of the cruise. We've never taken one because we wanted to stay in the cabin we picked. I should add that it's been a rare occurrence.

Edited by Big_G

We have been offered two upsells on the Allure.

We originally booked a GS, and were upselled the first year to a L2 and the second year to an L1.

Love the Crown loft

Hoping for the same this year on the Oasis.

Safe travels.

We booked on a price drop (Navigator 12/7/14, PR cabin) and two or three days later got an email saying to call if we wanted a balcony. This was about three weeks before sailing date. Offer was to pick any available balcony for $120/pp extra. So we ended up with a D2 for $540pp :)

Edited by pspercy

I received an email upsell about 30 days before. And after that I received it again (even though I already had upgraded). I admit at first I didn't realize what it was, it looked like all the other pre-cruise emails, most of which I don't look at (make your speciality reservations, book your shore excursion, etc). I was also in the lowest cat inside cabin, which means there is nowhere to go but up.

I received an email yesterday about a paid upgrade to a balcony. I sail in 5 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I received an email yesterday about a paid upgrade to an ocean view stateroom. We sail in 5 weeks and 2 days.

When I looked online at what ocean view staterooms were showing as available to book for our sailing, there were only two.

i never heard of that until recently either. I guess if they are doing this, there will be fewer complimentary upgrades for D+ and Ps. oh well.

I too watch the prices myself as if there are suites available closer to the date, there are often drops that are too good to pass up and I've done it more times than I can say. But I've never received an email or call about an upsell.

In 2013 I got a call 4 days prior to my Med cruise for a complimentary upgrade from an E1 to a JS. It was my first trip as a D+. That was a really nice upgrade. Haven't had another since.

My upcoming AU sailing, I do not see any suites open - so I guess I'll be enjoying myself in my JS.

While on a b2b on the Allure in December in a free upgrade to an Owners suite (Still woohooing over that one!:cool:) we received a call on my cellphone during the first week where Rosa at RCI left a voice mail that I didn't retrieve until the morning we got back to port. She was asking if we wanted a "paid upgrade" for what would have been our second leg. I wondered what she meant by paid upgrade since I was still giddy from our free upgrade and didn't understand. Of course I never got to negotiate that deal but would have liked to have heard the offer.

I have been reading so much about theses "paid upgrade" email offers. If you are one of the C&A members who this may get offered this, how far before the sail date does it usually happen?

It will vary from cruise to cruise based on the supple and demand for various cabin categories on that particular cruise. One sailing might have an excess of suites available for instance, while on the next sailing on the same ship suites are entirely sold out and thus unavailable for upgrades.

Edited by waterbug123