Disappointed with Royal Carib-

pkhddt

We have sailed this line several times, and have attained Emerald status in the Crown & Anchor Society.

We were looking at booking today to take advantage of the “Weekend WOW Sale”. We got “WOW” for certain, but not in the way we would have liked. This promotion needs no special education to read the very simple words:

Weekend WOW Sale

This weekend only, book a cruise sailing on February through May 2015 and enjoy 50% off on the second guest sailing in the same stateroom.

You’ll receive up to $250 USD onboard credit to spend in anything you want.

Simple enough. But, in a bit of dirty pool, what started out as a $ 1,344.00pp fare turned into $ 2,971.00 stateroom. I understand that there are port charges and taxes, as we have been cruising for the past 15 years.

Maybe someone can explain to me how $ 1,344.00 times 1.5 (buy one get second half-off) turns into $ 2,971.00 (absent port fees and tax)???

We have enjoyed our past sailings, but will explore offerings from other lines we have sailed: Celebrity (another RCL product), Holland America, Princess, Carnival; as it appears this recent advertisement is not above board, no pun intended.

Is 1344 the price that shows up first? Did you happen to notice that there's wording saying that the initially shown price is the promotional price? They first show the promo price as it would be per person based on two people, then as you book it shows the full price, pulls half off of the second person, then adds port fees etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lately when I have checked fares on Royal Caribbeans's website, there has been a statement to the effect that fares below include promotional pricing. So, that per person fare you saw on page one already had the BOGOH promotional discount included. That is probably not the explanation you wanted, but nevertheless it is the likely explanation.

At the end of the process where it shows the total price, (before you enter personal info) click on View Summary of Charges. That will show you where the discount was applied. As others have said the posted prices $1344 pp already had the discount applied.

I know this seems to elicit a lot of anger and confusion. But truthfully, if you like the bottom line price of the cruise, book it. If you don't, then don't book it. It all comes down to bottom line price. Doesn't matter how you get there, be it WOW, lot's of OBC, rate discounts, C & A discounts, etc. What matters is the bottom line cost. I booked Rhapsody for the Greek Isles on a WOW, and even with all the different promotions since, my "bottom line" is still less than any other sales, offers, costs, etc.

I know this seems to elicit a lot of anger and confusion. But truthfully, if you like the bottom line price of the cruise, book it. If you don't, then don't book it. It all comes down to bottom line price. Doesn't matter how you get there, be it WOW, lot's of OBC, rate discounts, C & A discounts, etc. What matters is the bottom line cost. I booked Rhapsody for the Greek Isles on a WOW, and even with all the different promotions since, my "bottom line" is still less than any other sales, offers, costs, etc.

Anger and confusion for sure!!! But you are right.....somehow get to a bottom line that you like and book. We booked a couple of cruises the other day...at not a great rate.....but something we could live with....and got some OBC as well. But at this rate we will not be able to cruise as often this year as we did last year. So sad. The pricing games they are playing are just too hard to deal with. But we'll keep looking.

I understand. We pick our cruise, select our cabin, if the total is what we feel comfortable with, we are good to go. Blessed to be able to do something we enjoy. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Happy cruising

I understand. We pick our cruise, select our cabin, if the total is what we feel comfortable with, we are good to go. Blessed to be able to do something we enjoy. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Happy cruising

Where's the like button for this :)

Anger and confusion for sure!!! But you are right.....somehow get to a bottom line that you like and book. We booked a couple of cruises the other day...at not a great rate.....but something we could live with....and got some OBC as well. But at this rate we will not be able to cruise as often this year as we did last year. So sad. The pricing games they are playing are just too hard to deal with. But we'll keep looking.

Hey Max'smon! So you finally got a couple of new bookings under your belt? Congrats to you :D ... I don't have anything new booked yet, struggling like you were last couple of months (saw your post about not having any new bookings for a while) :(

I posted this thread the other day, maybe you saw it?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2160325

1st page responses much of a waste but the 2nd page very good. Like you, Clarea, mommabean and others.. we're really weighing our options of what to do now regarding vacation dollars and not really liking what we're facing with RCCL (heck the cruise industry in general) as a whole regardung the pricing schemes and revenue making (ie. selling a presumed $1300 value drink package that you just know you'll only get $300 worth out of it)

Hey Max'smon! So you finally got a couple of new bookings under your belt? Congrats to you :D ... I don't have anything new booked yet, struggling like you were last couple of months (saw your post about not having any new bookings for a while) :(

1st page responses much of a waste but the 2nd page very good. Like you, Clarea, mommabean and others.. we're really weighing our options of what to do now regarding vacation dollars and not really liking what we're facing with RCCL (heck the cruise industry in general) as a whole regardung the pricing schemes and revenue making (ie. selling a presumed $1300 value drink package that you just know you'll only get $300 worth out of it)

You have put the identified thread up a few days ago....and it has interesting points to make. However, no cruise line or hotel, or airline or any other commodity or service has control over the exchange rate of the dollar to a foreign currency. When you write in that post:

"The kicker is the Canadian dollar. Total cost $6600USD = $8,646 Canadian my cost"

you lose some of your validity to me. Everyone, regardless of what kind of cabin they choose to book, has to decide if they are willing to pay the price for the cabin...if it isn't worth booking -- DON'T.

But don't then say the 'kicker is the Canadian dollar'.

We have sailed this line several times, and have attained Emerald status in the Crown & Anchor Society.

We were looking at booking today to take advantage of the “Weekend WOW Sale”. We got “WOW” for certain, but not in the way we would have liked. This promotion needs no special education to read the very simple words:

Weekend WOW Sale

This weekend only, book a cruise sailing on February through May 2015 and enjoy 50% off on the second guest sailing in the same stateroom.

You’ll receive up to $250 USD onboard credit to spend in anything you want.

Simple enough. But, in a bit of dirty pool, what started out as a $ 1,344.00pp fare turned into $ 2,971.00 stateroom. I understand that there are port charges and taxes, as we have been cruising for the past 15 years.

Maybe someone can explain to me how $ 1,344.00 times 1.5 (buy one get second half-off) turns into $ 2,971.00 (absent port fees and tax)???

We have enjoyed our past sailings, but will explore offerings from other lines we have sailed: Celebrity (another RCL product), Holland America, Princess, Carnival; as it appears this recent advertisement is not above board, no pun intended.

Actually, this is easy... the $1,344 advertised is the already discounted fare (assuming two people in the cabin).

The "real" PP rate is $1792. So Passenger 1 pays $1792. Passenger 2 pays 50% of that, which is $896.

$1792 + $896 = $2,688. (A true BOGOHO)

$1,344 * 2 = $2,688. (Average the cost between two guests)

So, which way do you want to look at it? Either way it's $2,688 (the taxes and fees will get you to the $2,971).

Let me say, I don't like RCI doing it. I'd prefer they list the "real" cost of passenger 1.

Actually, this is easy... the $1,344 advertised is the already discounted fare (assuming two people in the cabin).

The "real" PP rate is $1792. So Passenger 1 pays $1792. Passenger 2 pays 50% of that, which is $896.

So, which way do you want to look at it? Either way it's $2,688 (the taxes and fees will get you to the $2,971).

Let me say, I don't like RCI doing it. I'd prefer they list the "real" cost of passenger 1.

You are correct. Figures don't lie, but liars can figure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most people don't like the 'marketing ploys' used by many companies -- from car sales to vacation packages. But as pointed out by you....the BOGOHO is what it is. Would I like it to be a simpler way to figure it out...sure. But the bottom line, still is the bottom line. The average cost is a 'marketing ploy' that holds no value to me.

Hey There! Keep looking.....you'll find something. It just takes a lot of doing these days!! Very frustrating, I know!!

Most people don't like the 'marketing ploys' used by many companies -- from car sales to vacation packages. But as pointed out by you....the BOGOHO is what it is. Would I like it to be a simpler way to figure it out...sure. But the bottom line, still is the bottom line. The average cost is a 'marketing ploy' that holds no value to me.

I agree. Just didn't want people to think I agreed with the policy.

I agree. Just didn't want people to think I agreed with the policy.

I could do with a lot less marketing ploys (aka campaigns) from many companies.....buy 1 get the 2nd for a penny; buy one shirt and the 2nd is 1/2 price; spend $100 and we will give you $5 gift certificate to use on a future purchase -- the list can go on and on.

So the consumer has to be a 'careful consumer'; know a good price for the product when they see it, and buy it when they do....and then MOVE on.

Exactly same situation with us. It's making us look at other lines even with being Diamond Plus. :(