RCI Scrap Dynamic Dining

It's not confusing in itself. I think it is confusing that there is now Traditional dining, MTD, Family dining, DD, and now Rotational dining. There are different options on different ships but I think it's confusing across the brand.

Plus you have to deal with scheduling entertainment. It just seems harder than it has to be.

That makes sense. I agree that having so many different options and having them vary based on the ship would be confusing.

Hopefully with the Classic dining it will make it easier for many to have the same dining experience that they have had on other ships.

Maybe they should re-name traditional dining to Classic dining on the Older ships as it is the same concept. One less name.

I hope they aren't scrapping DD. I loved it on the Quantum NYE cruise. I'll be back on quantum in a week and can't wait for DD. The only issue on the NYE cruise what the whining of the very vocal minority d+ cruisers. It is a very different concept. It wasn't a surprise. Fans of traditional dining should have found another ship.

I'm embarrassed of the whining of many of my fellow D+ cruisers

I don't think that they are in the minority.Other D+ member were making their feelings known to Royal.If you check only 39% of people that sailed on quantum said that they loved it.So no need to feel embarrassed,because you have a different opinion.I hope you enjoy your DD dining next week. :)

Edited by caribbean sailor

DD dining was a way to force you into paying for dinner.We will not sale on any Royal ship without a MDR or one that has DD dining.That is our opinion.:mad:

You are entitled to your opinions in regards to DD and to sail on any ship or cruiseline you prefer. Why you quoted my original post beats me... I was asking about this new concept being introduced with the rotational traditional format and trying to find out if it will be on Oasis. Also mentioned the menus did not comment on DD as it is now.:confused:

You are entitled to your opinions in regards to DD and to sail on any ship or cruiseline you prefer. Why you quoted my original post beats me... I was asking about this new concept being introduced with the rotational traditional format and trying to find out if it will be on Oasis. Also mentioned the menus did not comment on DD as it is now.:confused:

You are right sorry wrong post.Have a great next cruise.:o :o :)

Officially, it doesn't exist yet, but when it is formally announced (the video doesn't really constitute an "official" announcement, even though it was made by the CEO), I suspect it will be applied to all ships that offer DD.

I also suspect that the menu's in the venue won't change based on the guest being regular DD or those doing "Classic", just that your serving staff and tablemates will go around with you to the different venues.

I suspect that what you suspect is likely correct!

Now, the question remains - if and/or when Oasis will get Dynamic Dining... All sorts of conflicting statements/rumors/information with regards to that right now.

I suspect that what you suspect is likely correct!

Now, the question remains - if and/or when Oasis will get Dynamic Dining... All sorts of conflicting statements/rumors/information with regards to that right now.

Nearly all the information is rumor, as the only comments come from a video of Mr. Bayley (which should be treated as unofficial comments even though they come from the CEO) which indicates that there will be a "Classic" option to Dynamic Dining and a hint of how it might work. Everything else is speculation from CC members (might so to be accurate in the end, but it is still speculation and results to no more than rumor).

That said (for the number of worry warts that are up in arms again), my "speculation" would be that Oasis class ships will get DD with Classic as soon as they can work out the remaining issues that caused problems on Quantum (one of them being the furor caused because there wasn't a "Classic" option).

So it is feasible (don't take this for fact folks, as I am still just "speculating") that they could still implement it on Oasis class ships at the time that Allure comes out of dry dock (possibly sooner on Oasis).

I would consider a Quantum Class ship with Rotational Dining. Not Dynamic.

I would be interested in seeing how many people will choose Rotational (a one time selection) over Dynamic (requiring you to select a restaurant and time for every night). Personally I think a majority of first time cruisers and first time on the ship, would go with the Rotational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly all the information is rumor, as the only comments come from a video of Mr. Bayley (which should be treated as unofficial comments even though they come from the CEO) which indicates that there will be a "Classic" option to Dynamic Dining and a hint of how it might work. Everything else is speculation from CC members (might so to be accurate in the end, but it is still speculation and results to no more than rumor).

That said (for the number of worry warts that are up in arms again), my "speculation" would be that Oasis class ships will get DD with Classic as soon as they can work out the remaining issues that caused problems on Quantum (one of them being the furor caused because there wasn't a "Classic" option).

So it is feasible (don't take this for fact folks, as I am still just "speculating") that they could still implement it on Oasis class ships at the time that Allure comes out of dry dock (possibly sooner on Oasis).

The information that I'd call something other than rumor are the existing reservations as far out as May 2016 on Oasis which currently list early/late/MTD dining on those reservations. Of course, since RCI changed those sailings from DD to traditional already, they could certainly still change them back to DD, but hopefully they realize that the more times they change existing reservations, the more customer dissatisfaction they're going to raise (despite whether those customers prefer traditional or DD - just the growing uncertainty as their reservations are changed and re-changed several times.)

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I would be interested in seeing how many people will choose Rotational (a one time selection) over Dynamic (requiring you to select a restaurant and time for every night). Personally I think a majority of first time cruisers and first time on the ship, would go with the Rotational.

Let's be clear here, if you take Mr. Bayley's comments as a reasonable plan of implementation, there will NOT be Rotational Dining vs. Dynamic Dining! What they are suggesting is that there will be a "Classic" option within Dynamic Dining (not MTD) where it will have one or two (nothing announced here) fixed time slots like traditional on other ships, but rotate through some number of the themed venues. So though guests would rotate through the restaurants, I am certain it will not be called or labeled "Rotational Dining".

Let's be clear here, if you take Mr. Bayley's comments as a reasonable plan of implementation, there will NOT be Rotational Dining vs. Dynamic Dining! What they are suggesting is that there will be a "Classic" option within Dynamic Dining (not MTD) where it will have one or two (nothing announced here) fixed time slots like traditional on other ships, but rotate through some number of the themed venues. So though guests would rotate through the restaurants, I am certain it will not be called or labeled "Rotational Dining".

Right, I guess what I should have said was that I am not interested in doing Dynamic Dining on any ship. The idea of Classic (rotational) is acceptable to me.

Would it be fair to say then that on ships that go this way, Dynamic is the equivalent of My Time, and Classic is the Equivalent of Traditional.?

The Allure dry-dock is pre- European Season in May.

While I like your optimism....

I think that this will be tested on Anthem live in Europe and hopefully prior to that with simulations on Quantum prior to her arrival in China or in the offices.

Note that they have just now have gotten the kinks out of DD somewhat at this time, just 3 months after Quantum left Southampton on her maiden voyage along with the announcement of DD came in April of 2014 and still had issues with that being 6 months prior to sailing, I think a good roll-out would be when Anthem, Oasis and Allure are all back in their home ports in November 2014.

That's what I thought but was not sure!! Crap-even I'm getting confused!!! LOL :o

LetsGetWet is correct. Quantum never had, and probably never will offer MTD, as it doesn't have a Main Dining Room to offer this option. Hence Dynamic Dining as the only option (with the proposed "Classic" option it does give the illusion of Traditional).

Even if DD went fleetwide, the ships with a MDR could even partially revert back as they have that space already (look at Oasis right now).

The information that I'd call something other than rumor are the existing reservations as far out as May 2016 on Oasis which currently list early/late/MTD dining on those reservations. Of course, since RCI changed those sailings from DD to traditional already, they could certainly still change them back to DD, but hopefully they realize that the more times they change existing reservations, the more customer dissatisfaction they're going to raise (despite whether those customers prefer traditional or DD - just the growing uncertainty as their reservations are changed and re-changed several times.)

Agreed about the existing reservations, but since they have deployment schedules out to May 2016, once they put DD on hiatus on Oasis, they had to revert them all (I'm sure they know the sleuthing that goes on here and elsewhere - note though, that it seems to be common that new reservations find that the "Traditional" option is waitlisted).

Hopefully RCI will make any transition to DD only after they and their guests are confident in the implementation so they won't have to change it back.

Agreed about the existing reservations, but since they have deployment schedules out to May 2016, once they put DD on hiatus on Oasis, they had to revert them all (I'm sure they know the sleuthing that goes on here and elsewhere - note though, that it seems to be common that new reservations find that the "Traditional" option is waitlisted).

Hopefully RCI will make any transition to DD only after they and their guests are confident in the implementation so they won't have to change it back.

I would think that any decision RCL is not taking lightly. DD had many issues and they probably lost some customers or decreased satisfaction because of it. This has them re-evaluate dining on Anthem, which they just unofficially announced will be Rotational.

It'll be interesting what happens with Oasis and Allure and how long they wait (e.g. to see how it works on Anthem).

One question about Anthem...does it have set show times or do you pre-book the shows for the various times?

I would think that any decision RCL is not taking lightly. DD had many issues and they probably lost some customers or decreased satisfaction because of it. This has them re-evaluate dining on Anthem, which they just unofficially announced will be Rotational.

It'll be interesting what happens with Oasis and Allure and how long they wait (e.g. to see how it works on Anthem).

One question about Anthem...does it have set show times or do you pre-book the shows for the various times?

They unofficially announced that it will be Dynamic Dining with a Classic (Rotational) option for those who prefer a more traditional dining approach. It was never said it would be only rotational on Anthem. That was from a "telephone game" fail.

Would it be fair to say then that on ships that go this way, Dynamic is the equivalent of My Time, and Classic is the Equivalent of Traditional.?

I wouldn't call it "equivalent", but from a guest scheduling perspective, it is reasonable to say they are similar.

The Allure dry-dock is pre- European Season in May.

While I like your optimism....

I think that this will be tested on Anthem live in Europe and hopefully prior to that with simulations on Quantum prior to her arrival in China or in the offices.

Note that they have just now have gotten the kinks out of DD somewhat at this time, just 3 months after Quantum left Southampton on her maiden voyage along with the announcement of DD came in April of 2014 and still had issues with that being 6 months prior to sailing, I think a good roll-out would be when Anthem, Oasis and Allure are all back in their home ports in November 2014.

I guess my optimism is that RCI really wants to fix problems quickly, and would try to get Classic on Quantum ASAP, and not wait for Anthem (again, if possible as the "P" in ASAP implies).

Part of my optimism/speculation is based on an assumption that Mr. Bayley didn't just come up with Classic off the top of his head during that Q&A, but that this has previously been discussed internally, and could be well into the planning pre-implementation stages, potentially capable of being put into play within a month or two only leaving the question of how much advance notice do we give to their guests.

For ships currently not having DD, like Oasis and Allure, they should at least announce the start well before final payment is due, so folks that might not like the option can cancel without penalty. For ships already doing/planning DD, I see no downside to announce 30 to 60 days before implementation, as those with reservations that don't wish to change shouldn't have to, and those that do can based on availability (not terribly different than ships with Trad/MTD).

Not saying this will happen or that the plan is far enough along to meet these timelines, but just to offer why I think it is possible.

This has them re-evaluate dining on Anthem, which they just unofficially announced will be Rotational.

I hate to be picky, but they are re-evaluating DD in general, not just Anthem and unofficially announced a "Classic" option to DD (which unofficially will come to Anthem first).

The answer to the Anthem show question - yes and yes. The shows have set times but you can and for the main production should pre-book them.

The decision on DD on Oasis class ships should be made before the 2016+ schedule comes out (sometime in March?). Once that is out and people start booking sailings, it'll be that much more they would have to change if they roll out DD to those ships later. The 2106+ schedule should include Oasis 3 sailings and that may be the giveaway - if they designed DD into the ship (layout of the dining room for DD only) that should be reflected into the schedule booking options.

The answer to the Anthem show question - yes and yes. The shows have set times but you can and for the main production should pre-book them.

The decision on DD on Oasis class ships should be made before the 2016+ schedule comes out (sometime in March?). Once that is out and people start booking sailings, it'll be that much more they would have to change if they roll out DD to those ships later. The 2106+ schedule should include Oasis 3 sailings and that may be the giveaway - if they designed DD into the ship (layout of the dining room for DD only) that should be reflected into the schedule booking options.

Do you have a source for that, or is it just more rumor/speculation?

Do you have a source for that, or is it just more rumor/speculation?

In the video in which RCI CEO Bayley mentioned the Classic dining option as an add on to Dynamic Dining, he mentioned there will be an announcement in March/April. It makes sense to make the announcement (especially if DD will be rolled out to Oasis class ships) at that time since it will catch all those 2016+ sailings.

I disagree, I think DD appeals to a lot of first time cruisers, especially younger ones. Non cruisers are used to going to different restaurants every night on holiday, and won't be used to having the same waiters and (possibly horrible) strange meal companions.

The other thing I find amusing was that before this the DD haters were the most vocal on here - since this change those who want DD have starting speaking out!

Edited by Donsyb
Typo

Well-shouldn't everyone be happy now. Soon you will have a choice of either DD or rotational or your ship or have either traditional or MTD. Does this not make everyone happy???

Seems to me, ships need to be fitted for the DD/rotational so either sail on the big girls or stick to the other class ships that are not fitted for this new fangled dining yet. Win win for everyone-right??

time for a happy song...........:p

Seems that RCCL has confirmed it:

"Royal Caribbean issued a statement that Dynamic Dining Classic will be a new option for guests to consider in addition to the existing Dynamic Dining program and will debut first on Anthem of the Seas in April 2015.

Classic dining will offer two set dinner seating times for guests who prefer a traditional cruise dining style.

Dynamic Dining’s “Classic” option allows guests to rotate through each of the four main complimentary restaurants at an early- or a late-seating time throughout their cruise with their dining group and the same assigned waiter each evening. Dynamic Dining’s “Classic” dining option will be available for pre-booking early March.

Royal Caribbean Brand Communications Manager Harrison Liu also discussed the future of Dynamic Dining, "As we continue to gather guest feedback we will evaluate ways to continue to elevate the Dynamic Dining experience to give our guests the choices and flexibility we know they desire. As we introduce Dynamic Dining to other ships in the fleet, further dates and details will be confirmed. "

Dynamic Dining Classic is part of an effort by Royal Caribbean to improve the Dynamic Dining Experience. In the last few weeks on Quantum of the Seas, Royal Caribbean has introduced new menu options at the four complimentary restaurants, increased staffing levels in the complimentary restaurants and added Devinly Decadence as a complimentary restaurant."