? About Luminae Construction on Equinox

RealDeal

I really wonder how some deal with road construction, etc., things happen and it is things we have to deal with in life, as we can't change it. If someone goes into their cruise complaining about this or that or thinking they will have a lousy time because of this or that, I just can imagine what kind of experience they will have. If it is such a bother, complain to guest services and who knows maybe they will give you something or call and tell Celebrity that you want to cancel your cruise and rebook it for another time when it is not happening and you don't expect to lose any money.

In construction jobs they don't single out just one make of vehicle like Fords to be delayed like apparently is going to happen to Select Dining pax...this ACCORDING TO CELEBRITY CRUISES POST. Sorry to yell. I love Celebrity and told everyone I know this is the line they should cruise. We will have a great time as it is a family of brothers and wives on an annual trip. But sometimes even our beloved Celebrity could do a better job of communicating. And the only poster on this thread that is on the Equinox at this time did say it was having on effect on dining. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out by the time we board on Friday the 13th (yep, they would pick this date wouldn't they).

Edited by blueboro

In construction jobs they don't single out just one make of vehicle like Fords to be delayed like apparently is going to happen to Select Dining pax...this ACCORDING TO CELEBRITY CRUISES POST. Sorry to yell. I love Celebrity and told everyone I know this is the line they should cruise. We will have a great time as it is a family of brothers and wives on an annual trip. But sometimes even our beloved Celebrity could do a better job of communicating. And the only poster on this thread that is on the Equinox at this time did say it was having on effect on dining. Hopefully the kinks will be worked out by the time we board on Friday the 13th (yep, they would pick this date wouldn't they).
Sorry you are on the cruise that they picked. The way I look at it, it is something that is going to be done no matter how much one would scream or yell, so I'd just go with it and enjoy the rest of my cruise and not dwell on it. But then, I always look on the bright side of things. Like I said before, go to guest services and complain and maybe they will give you something for your inconvenience.

BTW, I've been at hotels when there has been major construction, closed pools, etc., that I had no idea was happening, but I didn't let it ruin my vacation.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Yes, sorry, I should have stated those booked through X direct as well TAs ;). My footnote was more to highlight the fact that this would only apply to UK bookings as opposed to other countries where I'm unsure if they have any similar T&Cs :)?

No problem. I have been meaning to check the difference between ABTA and ATOL for some time and your post just prompted me to actually do so.

BTW, I've been at hotels when there has been major construction, closed pools, etc., that I had no idea was happening, but I didn't let it ruin my vacation.

It seems to me that you are a very easy-going person and it's good for you. But even if I see the glass half full most of the time, escaping our cold winter for a vacation an finding a pool closed without any notice from the hotel, I would be sooooo disappointed I would probably never forget. :rolleyes:

Now I'm hoping for the best :), we are on the 2/23 Equinox cruise and I can't wait to hear about those who will desambark next week than we'll go from there.

Take care,

Josée

And the only poster on this thread that is on the Equinox at this time did say it was having on effect on dining.

Unless my memory has completely failed me, the post referred to only says that the MDR was "crowded". Surely, there is always to chance for the MDR to be "crowded" if everyone entitled to eat there chooses to do so. To guarantee that the MDR was never "crowded" would require an enormous amount of surplus capacity.

The buffet was extremely "crowded" on one of our cruises because Celebrity held a marketing conference on board and they were all let out at the same time for lunch. The same thing would happen if by complete chance all guests decided to take lunch at the same time.

You can be disappointed by "crowded" but it is surely not grounds for a valid complaint, is it?

It seems to me that you are a very easy-going person and it's good for you. But even if I see the glass half full most of the time, escaping our cold winter for a vacation an finding a pool closed without any notice from the hotel, I would be sooooo disappointed I would probably never forget. :rolleyes:

Now I'm hoping for the best :), we are on the 2/23 Equinox cruise and I can't wait to hear about those who will desambark next week than we'll go from there.

Take care,

Josée

I'm actually not a very easy going person, I just don't see the point of complaining or stressing over the fact that, as has been reported, the dining room will be crowded.

I hope you have a great time on your Equinox cruise and hopefully the dining situation doesn't hamper your cruise that much and that going forward you can forget about any inconveniences, so that you will continue to cruise with Celebrity or another line.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Confirming what another person posted, we are in a suite for the 2/13 Equinox sailing and received a call from a concierge at Celebrity. They explained the restaurant thing and offered us gratis dining in the specialty rest. during the cruise. We graciously accepted. And all at 7, the time we like to dine anyway. Thought that was very nice.

Mark

Why should Suites get free dining in the SRs just because the new added Suite MDR is not finished? How many suites are there, how many total passengers in the suites? Why not try to accommodate them in the MDR or Blu?

Why didn't they make Blu the new Suite DR?

What is next?????

Confirming what another person posted, we are in a suite for the 2/13 Equinox sailing and received a call from a concierge at Celebrity. They explained the restaurant thing and offered us gratis dining in the specialty rest. during the cruise. We graciously accepted. And all at 7, the time we like to dine anyway. Thought that was very nice.

Mark

BINGO! So we are not just making this up like some have suggested. Good for you...sucks for the rest. And this is part of my beef with X. They ARE giving notice to selected pax about the disruption but not to everyone else. So X KNOWS this will be a problem if they are providing this free to suite guests.

Edited by blueboro

Why should Suites get free dining in the SRs just because the new added Suite MDR is not finished? How many suites are there, how many total passengers in the suites? Why not try to accommodate them in the MDR or Blu?

Why didn't they make Blu the new Suite DR?

What is next?????

On equinox there are 66 suites total, 44 of which are sky suites. So this is 132 potential diners.

The reason they are offering suites free specialty dining during he construction, os to help alleviate the stress on MDR due to the 300 displaced seats as construction happens. This is why they aren't accommodating in MDR they are trying to proactively move guests out of MDR, and of course, will start with the highest paying guests. I can see that once aboard, there will be additional discounts offered to all guests if the MDR is unable to accommodate the guests while the Suite Dining room is under construction.

Come April, RS and PH will get unlimited Specialty dining anyway (10 suites, 20 PAX) as part of the new suite perks program.

Can you imagine the outcries on these forums of they suddenly took BLU away from Aqua...???!!! That's why they are making new Suite dining room rather than repurposing BLU, BLU works, no need to close it down to Aqua Guests.

I'm curious to learn if they will begin immediately using the new Suite Dining Room, or if they will wait till the official start dates for the program in April across the fleet.

On equinox there are 66 suites total, 44 of which are sky suites. So this is 132 potential diners.

Come April, RS and PH will get unlimited Specialty dining anyway (10 suites, 20 PAX) as part of the new suite perks program.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but you keep just doubling the numbers of suites to produce your figures, however I was under the impression that many suites can hold more than two guests? I thought it was only Aqua that was limited to 2 pax per cabin?

Forgive me if I am wrong, but you keep just doubling the numbers of suites to produce your figures, however I was under the impression that many suites can hold more than two guests? I thought it was only Aqua that was limited to 2 pax per cabin?

You are correct that's what I'm doing.

Ship standard calculation of occupancy is double occupancy even though many cabins allow 4 people in them.

Ships do sail on occasion with empty cabins even though they are "sold out" due to this fact that there may be too many cabins with 4 in them that pushes the ship beyond maximuim number of bodies allowed on the ship.

Some suites will have 3 or 4 just like some will have only 1 and perhaps even sail empty on occasion. So I am using the industry standard "double occupancy". I do believe in fact ALL suites allow up to 4 passengers (except for Aqua Suites found only on reflection, however those become SkySuites in April, so a moot point).

In my observation, it is relatively rare that suites have more than 2 occupants in them, though for sure it does happen, I even sailed with 3 in a RS last year, but overall, the suite experience tends to be couples only.

Edited by cle-guy

The reason they are offering suites free specialty dining during he construction, os to help alleviate the stress on MDR due to the 300 displaced seats as construction happens. This is why they aren't accommodating in MDR they are trying to proactively move guests out of MDR, and of course, will start with the highest paying guests. I can see that once aboard, there will be additional discounts offered to all guests if the MDR is unable to accommodate the guests while the Suite Dining room is under construction.

Can you imagine the outcries on these forums of they suddenly took BLU away from Aqua...???!!! That's why they are making new Suite dining room rather than repurposing BLU, BLU works, no need to close it down to Aqua Guests.

I'm curious to learn if they will begin immediately using the new Suite Dining Room, or if they will wait till the official start dates for the program in April across the fleet.

Thanks for the info. I wonder had that will make MDR Deck 3 look since it will be almost cut/blocked/divided in half? What will be done with the Wine Tower? Will that also be blocked off at the half-way point or will they ???????

Whatever they do on Deck 3 MDR it will really close it in and make the MDR look much smaller. It will loose the elegance either way for the MDR. JMHO!~

Thanks for the info. I wonder had that will make MDR Deck 3 look since it will be almost cut/blocked/divided in half? What will be done with the Wine Tower? Will that also be blocked off at the half-way point or will they ???????

Whatever they do on Deck 3 MDR it will really close it in and make the MDR look much smaller. It will loose the elegance either way for the MDR. JMHO!~

S class ships and M class will vary.

Basically S class ships will look like current M class ships do on the upper deck of MDR when they added BLU - part will be closed in, perhaps they are doing this at the section near the entry doors only, thus leaving the openness on both upper decks to see the wine towers.

M class there will likely be in effect no seating in the wings only the central area near the staircase for dining, so the 2 wings will look like mirror images, new suite dining taking on the look of the closed in BLU SIDE.

S class ships and M class will vary.

Basically S class ships will look like current M class ships do on the upper deck of MDR when they added BLU - part will be closed in, perhaps they are doing this at the section near the entry doors only, thus leaving the openness on both upper decks to see the wine towers.

M class there will likely be in effect no seating in the wings only the central area near the staircase for dining, so the 2 wings will look like mirror images, new suite dining taking on the look of the closed in BLU SIDE.

Would have been nice if Celebrity had published a photo/diagram of this for the M and S class ships. Haven't been on an M class ship in over 10 years. Maybe someone will post a photo when they cruise on one of the ships which have this completed. We are on the Equinox 2/23. So, just wondering. Guess we can wait and see the construction going on. LOL

I'm hoping Arno pops back on with an update today, since Reflection came in this morning. I'll be on Reflection next Saturday and I'm very interested to see how it goes.

He has. Check out his thread at top of page. :)

We are sailing Next Friday [2/13] on the Equinox and after 213 responses to this topic.............. My question is ??

Who does this really effect SELECT or FIXED dining arrangements ?

Which deck ???

It really doesn't matter as we are getting out of the Cold Midwest and sailing a beautiful ship for a relaxing ten day agenda. We did the (11) day sail two years ago & really did enjoy:cool: ourselves. How could you not ??

Peace...........

LEFTY:cool:

We are sailing Next Friday [2/13] on the Equinox and after 213 responses to this topic.............. My question is ??

Who does this really effect SELECT or FIXED dining arrangements ?

Which deck ???

The effect is to Select dining only. The restaurant is being installed in part of the upper deck of the MDR in part of the select dining area.

Per a letter posted by Arno in the other thread, they have extended select dining times to help with the loss of seats in that area, and they say that fixed dining and BLU is unaffected.

Several suite guests have also reported being given the option to use Specialty restaurant each night to help remove guests from the MDR during the installation.

The effect is to Select dining only. The restaurant is being installed in part of the upper deck of the MDR in part of the select dining area.

Per a letter posted by Arno in the other thread, they have extended select dining times to help with the loss of seats in that area, and they say that fixed dining and BLU is unaffected.

Several suite guests have also reported being given the option to use Specialty restaurant each night to help remove guests from the MDR during the installation.

From everything that I have read recently, this effects MDR Deck 3 Starboard side (left side entering MDR on deck 3) Fixed Dining. This should have no effect on Select Dining.

From everything that I have read recently, this effects MDR Deck 3 Starboard side (left side entering MDR on deck 3) Fixed Dining. This should have no effect on Select Dining.

Read the letter in the attachment - to was given to guests boarding ht ship, and explains it. Also, again, M class ships and S class ships have different deck configurations for MDR. So far we know about EQ and RF, both S class.

The other thread where Arno is chronicling the installation in pictures, it's clear to see the install is going on on the upper (select) dining section of the MDR.

The other thread where Arno is chronicling the installation in pictures, it's clear to see the install is going on on the upper (select) dining section of the MDR.

From those pictures it seems clear to me that the lower section is what has been cleared out.

From those pictures it seems clear to me that the lower section is what has been cleared out.

My bad, you are correct here.

Strange the letter talks about Select diners being affected, even though the space being worked on is in the assigned dining sections.

Definitely deck 3 starboard side on the S class.