? About Luminae Construction on Equinox

RealDeal

Thank you so much. You seem to have an innate ability to trivialize people's concerns with your perceived common sense.

The "issue" is affecting 1 ship at the moment, Equinox, likely for 1 maybe 2 cruises. It will then affect another ship for 1 maybe 2 cruises. So far Summit is not experiencing the issue.

Summit is not experiencing an issue because the addition is not scheduled until the 3/7 sailing

To my knowledge no one has mentioned Summit getting the restaurant done at this time, though certainly it's on some schedule someplace, but again, like Equinox, will affect only 1 or 2 sailings.

According to Celebrity Cruises, the renovations on Summit are scheduled for the 3/7 sailing

All that's really at issue with the current ship and the issues for the 1 or 2 sailings, is people have to wait till boarding to make specialty reservations.

Please tell me how you know this

• Common sense tells me that there is no way specialties are 100% booked.
  • My former business of installing museum exhibit lets me know it can't take more than 2 weeks to do the dining room, likely even only 1 cruise. That summit is scheduled as you note for March 7, we know that equinox will be done by then at least, and they have still 8 other ships to get to by April 14.

And to those who can't make advanced reservations, why is the logic not more to the tune of "they are already booked, I'll have to see what happens on board"

The 2/28 sailing has virtually unlimited availability, the 3/7 sailing has virtually no availability...coincidence?.

• As stated, there is no way specialties are 100% advance booked, and if they are then that simply means people have preplanned. Common sense says booking is being reserved until people board. It's highly doubtful the plan is to keep them empty.

rather than "they should give me $300 OBC for the hassle of waiting to make dining arrangements till I board the ship".

I haven't heard of anyone asking for $300 OBC for having to wait to make specialty dining arrangements until they are on board

• A prior poster in this thread suggest this. "Every passenger should have received an official letter/ email from Celebrity before final payment. Perhaps offering $300 OBC and an upfront caveat/apology. "

No one looks at it like, "we got in early because all the seats weren't taken", people only look at it as , "we had to wait because everyone decided to dine tonight as is supposed to happen"NO ONE?.....Really?

• OK, I'll cop to this one, I was being a bit extreme. Lets say MANY in this thread, but certainly no absoultes :rolleyes:

There is certainly much adieau about nothing going on, and lots of speculation without analysis to reality.

Much adieu about nothing? Thank God there is someone to available to trivialize people's concerns.

• I stand by my analysis.

CURT (cle-guy) --- Where is the thread that you found that states suites will be given unlimited Spec Dining during this construction period. I don't see it referenced with a link....that would be helpful.....

I for one don't care if the suite dining room is open or not when we sail on Eclipse in April, I booked it before they ever announced it but don't want a crowded dining experience....so the spec rest perk might be very helpful but I've not seen the Celebrity rep confirm that anywhere.....

I found it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45479414&postcount=31

Based on Celebrity Cruises (semi) official statement, I think celebrity may hope you are right, but the omission of select dining from that statement indicates that they aren't quite in lock step with you :)

My figures are the full MDR, inclusive of the existing Select Dining seats as part of the 1420 seats per seating starting point.

The omission of select dining from their statement seems to me to make it clear its that part of the upper MDR becoming Suite dining, and those are the 300 seats I have removed form the 1420 seat total, based on Arno's post a couple weeks ago that he was told 300 seats were being displaced.

The "issue" is affecting 1 ship at the moment, Equinox, likely for 1 maybe 2 cruises. It will then affect another ship for 1 maybe 2 cruises. So far Summit is not experiencing the issue.

Summit is not experiencing an issue because the addition is not scheduled until the 3/7 sailing

To my knowledge no one has mentioned Summit getting the restaurant done at this time, though certainly it's on some schedule someplace, but again, like Equinox, will affect only 1 or 2 sailings.

According to Celebrity Cruises, the renovations on Summit are scheduled for the 3/7 sailing

All that's really at issue with the current ship and the issues for the 1 or 2 sailings, is people have to wait till boarding to make specialty reservations.

• My former business of installing museum exhibit lets me know it can't take more than 2 weeks to do the dining room, likely even only 1 cruise. That summit is scheduled as you note for March 7, we know that equinox will be done by then at least, and they have still 8 other ships to get to by April 14.

And to those who can't make advanced reservations, why is the logic not more to the tune of "they are already booked, I'll have to see what happens on board"

The 2/28 sailing has virtually unlimited availability, the 3/7 sailing has virtually no availability...coincidence?.

• As stated, there is no way specialties are 100% advance booked, and if they are then that simply means people have preplanned. Common sense says booking is being reserved until people board. It's highly doubtful the plan is to keep them empty.

rather than "they should give me $300 OBC for the hassle of waiting to make dining arrangements till I board the ship".

I haven't heard of anyone asking for $300 OBC for having to wait to make specialty dining arrangements until they are on board

• A prior poster in this thread suggest this. "Every passenger should have received an official letter/ email from Celebrity before final payment. Perhaps offering $300 OBC and an upfront caveat/apology. "

No one looks at it like, "we got in early because all the seats weren't taken", people only look at it as , "we had to wait because everyone decided to dine tonight as is supposed to happen"NO ONE?.....Really?

• OK, I'll cop to this one, I was being a bit extreme. Lets say MANY in this thread, but certainly no absoultes :rolleyes:

There is certainly much adieau about nothing going on, and lots of speculation without analysis to reality.

Much adieu about nothing? Thank God there is someone to available to trivialize people's concerns.

"Analysis to reality"....mmmm I like that one. As ALWAYS, you are of course,right.

Thanks....I think you're right....it's much adieu about nothing......a slight bit of flexibility on everyone's part is all that's needed.....I'll be on a cruise....don't really care where or when I eat.....doubt I'll go hungry:D
It is just one more thing for people to complain about. Bet there would be no complaints if it wasn't a suite restaurant and just another specialty restaurant or private room for trivia contests. Goodness gracious, it is not the end of the world and it is not something that is going to last forever, just a few weeks! Edited by NLH Arizona

On March 7th I will be boarding Constellation on what appears to be the day work starts in the MDR.

My plan is to take a seat at a bar or 2, enjoy the drinks package and thank the various crew members when they do their best to assist me if any problems arise.

Thats about it really:)

On March 7th I will be boarding Constellation on what appears to be the day work starts in the MDR.

My plan is to take a seat at a bar or 2, enjoy the drinks package and thank the various crew members when they do their best to assist me if any problems arise.

Thats about it really:)

i'll be on board Summit & most likely be doing much the same. Enjoy your cruise!

As they say "It is what it is!"

It is just one more thing for people to complain about. Bet there would be no complaints if it wasn't a suite restaurant and just another specialty restaurant or private room for trivia contests. Goodness gracious, it is not the end of the world and it is not something that is going to last forever, just a few weeks!

Maybe it won't affect anyone and I guess it is easy to blow it off as it does not affect you since you are not on the cruise. "It is not going to last forever, just a few weeks" but unfortunatnely those few weeks will have some affect to those of us onboard during those weeks. How much it affects us remains to be seen.

Your comments from January 3, 2015:

The roll-out schedule is:

• SL 4/3 - in Sydney
  • CS 4/4 - FLL
  • RF 4/4 - MIA
  • SM 4/4 - San Juan
  • SI 4/5 - FLL
  • EQ 4/6 - FLL
  • ML 4/9 - Hong Kong
  • EC 4/12 - in Dry dock next departure 4/21 MIA for TA to Southampton
  • IN 4/13 - San Diego

Only Eclipse is in "dry dock" for this to get done. They likey have used CAD design to prepare all materials needed to quickly install the dining room. Really all that's needed is new carpet some chandeliers, perhaps some walls and new tables and chairs to pull off the dining room. A well-traineid crew can accomplish this on an overnight.

I install museum exhibitions for work, and you'd be amazed how quickly one can turn an empty room into something amazing overnight, with the right staff, planning, materials and crew around.

To my mind likely the ships will load on all necessary materials, put staff up in cabins, and have the work done over a 3 day period. But these types of changes do not entail dry dock time at all.

There was another thread about the X management being on a recent cruise, where all the head chefs were called onto that cruise and were practicing the new suite menu items and doing tastings.

So your expertise on the subject has caused you to revise your original analysis? :rolleyes:

I think most people would prefer facts rather than speculation. It seems too easy to trivialize other's concerns when it doesn't affect you.

Edited by C-Dragons

Your comments from January 3, 2015:

So your expertise on the subject has caused you to revise your original analysis? :rolleyes:

I think most people would prefer facts rather than speculation. It seems too easy to trivialize other's concerns when it doesn't affect you.

Indeed, my thoughts on how it would happen have changed.

And this entire thread - but for 1 poster - is speculation, as only 1 poster has popped in to say they are on Equinox.

So why should my speculation be discounted any more than the other 184 posts of speculation?

At least I provide a reasoned analysis using available facts and figures, not just spewing rhetoric as many do. In these cases, it is in fact easy to trivialize concerns that are not founded in fact.

Edited by cle-guy

Maybe it won't affect anyone and I guess it is easy to blow it off as it does not affect you since you are not on the cruise. "It is not going to last forever, just a few weeks" but unfortunatnely those few weeks will have some affect to those of us onboard during those weeks. How much it affects us remains to be seen.
I really wonder how some deal with road construction, etc., things happen and it is things we have to deal with in life, as we can't change it. If someone goes into their cruise complaining about this or that or thinking they will have a lousy time because of this or that, I just can imagine what kind of experience they will have. If it is such a bother, complain to guest services and who knows maybe they will give you something or call and tell Celebrity that you want to cancel your cruise and rebook it for another time when it is not happening and you don't expect to lose any money.

The one thing missing about the analysis of passenger numbers for dining is the space. Increase the space that a select restaurant takes up for fewer passengers and those figures are meaningless.

I've used the loss of 300 seats in the upper deck as the amount of lost space. Just assumed all select ding up there is now gone on M class. S class, half those - 1 wing gone.

That will be replaced with I'd assume about 75 seats to accommodate 2 seatings of suite guests.

That leaves net 225 seats missing per seating versus last month, which are easily accommodated by those in specialties, BLU, and buffet. Next time you are on, look at all the unused seats in the MDR on any night. Even first night as so many take advantage of the discounted specialty ding option then.

I'm envisioning fewer fixed dining seats and some of those being converted to Select dining over time. Not sure if there will still be any select dining upstairs or not on M class ships, but S class will still have half of the current seating there.

Edited by cle-guy

I've used the loss of 300 seats in the upper deck as the amount of lost space. Just assumed all select ding up there is now gone on M class. S class, half those - 1 wing gone.

That will be replaced with I'd assume about 75 seats to accommodate 2 seatings of suite guests.

That leaves net 225 seats missing per seating versus last month, which are easily accommodated by those in specialties, BLU, and buffet. Next time you are on, look at all the unused seats in the MDR on any night. Even first night as so many take advantage of the discounted specialty ding option then.

I'm envisioning fewer fixed dining seats and some of those being converted to Select dining over time. Not sure if there will still be any select dining upstairs or not on M class ships, but S class will still have half of the current seating there.

We use Select Dining not MDR. As I mentioned before there was always a long queue at the time when most diners would like to eat - 7.30 on a port intensive med cruise. Didn't see any spare tables lasting more than a couple of minutes (time to reset table).

We only try out a specialty restaurant once per cruise. Buffet - not for dinner.

Edited by Pushka

It is just one more thing for people to complain about. Bet there would be no complaints if it wasn't a suite restaurant and just another specialty restaurant or private room for trivia contests. Goodness gracious, it is not the end of the world and it is not something that is going to last forever, just a few weeks!

Oh, there would be complaints for sure. "More loss of space for another paid venue" would be the likely complaint if the it was a specialty restaurant.

Incidentally, while there are not many spare tables at select dining, there are many empty tables in set dining on many nights we've seen.

On a separate note, there are other ways Celebrity can control inventory and dining space by closing out cabins to book 3 or 4. Conceivable they've probably only has construction schedules firmed up for 2 month or so.

They also could have closed out cabins for sale for the last 60 days or so. Those cabins could be used by the construction crews they have onboard (who eat in the crew dining room) or left open.

If I was in charge, this is what I would do, which combined with moving suite guests to speciality dining would all likely alleviate any issues.

Only honest, onboard reports will tell.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by need2bespoiled

Yet again, I lost the will to live reading through the whole of this thread so apologies if this has already been said.

I have repeated many times on Cruise Critic, Celebrity NEVER reserve ALL specialty dining places pre-cruise. In normal circumstances, they allow ONE reservation per time slot to be reserved in advance. They can, and do accommodate many more than one reservation per time slot in each restaurant.

Every year we read on Cruise Critic that you cannot pre-reserve specialty restaurants for popular dates [eg New Year's Eve]. This is not true. We have pre-booked these dates online. They just sell much earlier than usual. We have, over the years, made specialty dining reservations for every night of a cruise more than a year in advance. Most people only start thinking of dining options a few months from a cruise - and always think that they are planning early!

Even if Celebrity managed to amend their systems to allow more than one reservation per time slot to be allocated in advance [and how many of you believe that Celebrity are capable of fine tuning their computer systems?], it is extremely unlikely that they would be more than doubling their usual number of pre-cruise reservations.

I totally agree, not being able to book speciality dining

prior to sailing maybe a website problem , (not unusual for X)

I'm sure there will be availability on boarding, it may be that there are

No specials offered but sometimes that happens,

We are on a B2B starting feb 23 and guess what

No matter what happens I am certain I won't go hungry

and I am equally certain that we will have a great time

I've used the loss of 300 seats in the upper deck as the amount of lost space. Just assumed all select ding up there is now gone on M class. S class, half those - 1 wing gone. ...................

Have I missed a new post from Celebrity?

I thought the last one said that on S class Luminae was being carved out of deck 3, the lower level of the MDR, currently housing fixed dining, leaving the upper select area untouched.

Have I missed a new post from Celebrity?

I thought the last one said that on S class Luminae was being carved out of deck 3, the lower level of the MDR, currently housing fixed dining, leaving the upper select area untouched.

No you haven't missed anything. When this thread started everyone thought it was on deck 4 on the S class ships, even the Celebrity rep in the live thing on the stickies.

As construction has now started we now all know it is on deck 3.

Gordon

No flames please, perhaps a UK TA may be able to confirm this, but I thought that if scheduled building works were to take place in hotels (unsure if the same for cruise ships) during your vacation, then the company had to pre warn you of the situation, or you would be entitled to compensation? I seem to recall some incidences where this happened and it was highlighted in a consumer television programme.

Okay, went and checked and found the the answer on the ABTA site. Suppose it will depend on how much your enjoyment of the cruise is impaired, and if the alterations are considered minor? The following quote is from ABTA's website:

'I’ve just been told that building works are taking place at my hotel. What are ABTA’s rules on this?'

'Most minor refurbishment and maintenance work being carried out at properties will not affect your holiday. There is no requirement under the ABTA Code of Conduct for Members to notify clients of works like these. However, where the works are likely to seriously impair the enjoyment of your holiday, your ABTA travel company should provide you with accurate information about the building works if they know about them. You can then decide whether or not to continue with the booking.

If you’ve already booked your holiday and your ABTA travel company then becomes aware of building works that may reasonably be considered to seriously impair the enjoyment of your holiday, they must, without delay, notify you and offer you the opportunity to transfer to alternative accommodation. Where the alternative constitutes a significant change to your booking, your ABTA travel company should offer you the option of cancelling without penalty, or transferring to an alternative holiday if available.'

As I stated above, unsure if this is the same for cruise ships and if the scheduled works would seriously impair the enjoyment of the cruise? Obviously, this would also only apply to those booked in the UK through an ABTA TA ;).

No flames please, perhaps a UK TA may be able to confirm this, but I thought that if scheduled building works were to take place in hotels (unsure if the same for cruise ships) during your vacation, then the company had to pre warn you of the situation, or you would be entitled to compensation? I seem to recall some incidences where this happened and it was highlighted in a consumer television programme.

Okay, went and checked and found the the answer on the ABTA site. Suppose it will depend on how much your enjoyment of the cruise is impaired, and if the alterations are considered minor? The following quote is from ABTA's website:

'I’ve just been told that building works are taking place at my hotel. What are ABTA’s rules on this?'

'Most minor refurbishment and maintenance work being carried out at properties will not affect your holiday. There is no requirement under the ABTA Code of Conduct for Members to notify clients of works like these. However, where the works are likely to seriously impair the enjoyment of your holiday, your ABTA travel company should provide you with accurate information about the building works if they know about them. You can then decide whether or not to continue with the booking.

If you’ve already booked your holiday and your ABTA travel company then becomes aware of building works that may reasonably be considered to seriously impair the enjoyment of your holiday, they must, without delay, notify you and offer you the opportunity to transfer to alternative accommodation. Where the alternative constitutes a significant change to your booking, your ABTA travel company should offer you the option of cancelling without penalty, or transferring to an alternative holiday if available.'

As I stated above, unsure if this is the same for cruise ships and if the scheduled works would seriously impair the enjoyment of the cruise? Obviously, this would also only apply to those booked in the UK through an ABTA TA ;).

To quote our confirmation invoices [apologies cannot attach a copy from my tablet]: "For cruise only holidays, we [i.e. Celebrity] are a fully bonded ABTA member". Fly/cruise bookings are protected by Celebrity's ATOL membership.

Edited by Project_gal

To quote our confirmation invoices [apologies cannot attach a copy from my tablet]: "For cruise only holidays, we [i.e. Celebrity] are a fully bonded ABTA member". Fly/cruise bookings are protected by Celebrity's ATOL membership.

Yes, sorry, I should have stated those booked through X direct as well TAs ;). My footnote was more to highlight the fact that this would only apply to UK bookings as opposed to other countries where I'm unsure if they have any similar T&Cs :)?