Kiss. to Miami driving in Fl. question

spearmint

Leaving Kissimmee for the port of Miami, would knowledgeable people tell me if it is better to go back on I-4 to the Daytona area and then down I-95 to Miami, or better to take Florida's turnpike to I-95? The latter seems better on the maps, but sometimes all is not as it seems. Then, too, maybe one of you knows an even better route.:confused:

Is it difficult to leave I-95 in Miami and get to the Port Bridge to the terminal? We will use our GPS, but I still like to know the mapping myself, should the technology ever make a mistake (:eek:!)

Bill

I have done this many times.take the Toll road if you have GPS

there should be no problem, do you have a hire car, if so

hertz have a drop off right in Downtown, otherwise

Drop off your cases at the port and then take the rental

Car back to the airport and get the free shuttle to the port

With only your Cary on bags,

So easy,

My one and only drive down the Turnpike to the Port of Miami was a breeze. The GPS helped. It did take us thru a little of Miami that I think could have been avoided if we stayed on and existed a later exit, but all was good.

Edited by FireEater

Leaving Kissimmee for the port of Miami, would knowledgeable people tell me if it is better to go back on I-4 to the Daytona area and then down I-95 to Miami, or better to take Florida's turnpike to I-95? The latter seems better on the maps, but sometimes all is not as it seems. Then, too, maybe one of you knows an even better route.:confused:

Is it difficult to leave I-95 in Miami and get to the Port Bridge to the terminal? We will use our GPS, but I still like to know the mapping myself, should the technology ever make a mistake (:eek:!)

Bill

Greetings

Do not get on I-4. It is heading in the wrong direction, it actually goes NE from there. Take the turnpike south. I would exit at east I-595 in Ft Lauderdale and then take I-95 to the port. If you want to use the tunnel then just follow I-95 south to I-395 east. The tunnel is a left exit off I-395.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

Do not get on I-4. It is heading in the wrong direction, it actually goes NE from there. Take the turnpike south. I would exit at east I-595 in Ft Lauderdale and then take I-95 to the port. If you want to use the tunnel then just follow I-95 south to I-395 east. The tunnel is a left exit off I-395.

Good Sailing

Tom

Yes. This is good advice - and the best route!

Assuming you have a SunPass in the car (Toll Tag)

When you get to the end of the Turnpike, you will merge into 95...once on 95 get over to the left and get into the express lane.

If you need to go to the airport there is an exit from the express lane...if you are going to port, the express lane ends just before the exit for the port

I-95 carries a great deal more traffic, especially once you get into the more populated areas of Palm Beach, Broward and Dade Counties because it is a free road. Pay the tolls and stick with the turnpike. If you are hell bent on avoiding the tolls still take the turnpike to Fort Pierce Exit and then cross over. The two roads are less than a mile apart there but from their south, you will see a lot more traffic.

Whoa! Great advice, folks. Thanks. I had not realized that the Turnpike was a toll road and had forgotten about SunPass.

We are driving our own car, but from a few trips down to Kissimmee, we have a SunPass transponder on our car and can load some funds onto it. That is why we know about I-4 and I-95. We have been on 585 to go to the Kennedy Space Center, but that has been the extent of our Florida travel. The Turnpike seems like the way to go for sure. I am almost positive that I am going to park at the terminal garages, and that is so expensive that the cost of the turnpike won't be so noticeable, I assume.:)

Tunaman: The tunnel to which you referred, goes from the mainland to the island with the terminals......is that correct?

neverbeenhere: Thanks for the speed tip!!:)

I'm from a small town area, and unlike when I was younger, unknown city traffic can make me crazy, unless I know at least the general route I want to travel. I hate getting lost and trying to find my way out!:confused: I am really appreciate of all your help.

Bill

Now, it just occurred to me; We are leaving the ship and heading up to Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. Had planned to drive I-95 all the way. Is that the best way to the Georgia border, or is there an alternate route for part of the way to avoid some of the south Florida traffic that has been mentioned here?

Whoa! Great advice, folks. Thanks. I had not realized that the Turnpike was a toll road and had forgotten about SunPass.

We are driving our own car, but from a few trips down to Kissimmee, we have a SunPass transponder on our car and can load some funds onto it. That is why we know about I-4 and I-95. We have been on 585 to go to the Kennedy Space Center, but that has been the extent of our Florida travel. The Turnpike seems like the way to go for sure. I am almost positive that I am going to park at the terminal garages, and that is so expensive that the cost of the turnpike won't be so noticeable, I assume.:)

Tunaman: The tunnel to which you referred, goes from the mainland to the island with the terminals......is that correct?

neverbeenhere: Thanks for the speed tip!!:)

I'm from a small town area, and unlike when I was younger, unknown city traffic can make me crazy, unless I know at least the general route I want to travel. I hate getting lost and trying to find my way out!:confused: I really appreciate of all your help.

Bill

Now, it just occurred to me; We are leaving the ship and heading up to Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia. Had planned to drive I-95 all the way. Is that the best way to the Georgia border, or is there an alternate route for part of the way to avoid some of the south Florida traffic that has been mentioned here?

We live in Jacksonville, so we always take 95N home. It will be on a Sunday morning, and unless there is an event in Miami or nearby, the traffic should be almost null. We save the toll money because we feel poor after just paying for the terminal parking, :).

I know from Disney to Lantana (end of ticket section on Turnpike) is about $12 and then it's about another $2 or $3 to the "Golden Glades" - where Turnpike and 95 meet in Miami - The express lane various from $0.25 to $2.00 - there is a sign before you get into the express lane on 95

Yes, a long dull haul up I-95. When you posted about this trip on another thread, it sounded like you might be intending to do the entire drive to Williamsburg in one day. If so, I will caution you, having driven up I-95 many times, that it's a pretty long way, especially starting as far south as Miami. By the time you reach North Carolina, I suspect you may not want to be in the car any longer.

Have a great cruise!

Yes, a long dull haul up I-95. When you posted about this trip on another thread, it sounded like you might be intending to do the entire drive to Williamsburg in one day. If so, I will caution you, having driven up I-95 many times, that it's a pretty long way, especially starting as far south as Miami. By the time you reach North Carolina, I suspect you may not want to be in the car any longer.

Have a great cruise!

You are correct; I was misremembering where we had started the last day of a drive from Canada to Kissimmee previously. I had been thinking of getting to Chester Va. on the first day. Will not get further than N.C. as you suggest, I am sure. We are not due in Col. Wmsburg until the following day anyway, and I believe it is only an hour or so southeast of Richmond so we will be fine taking the two travel days and splitting the distance more evenly.

I have more than one thread, that is true, but I keep thinking of things to ask, and figure it is easier to make a new one rather than "highjacking" another thread (even my own) by introducing a different problem, even if they are related to the same trip.

Bill

Edited by spearmint