Cannot book because of age?

dolphinsfan246

I am so frustrated, just got off the phone with Carnival. Apparently i cannot cruise with them this spring because of my age. I will be 24 at the time of sailing, but because i am not 25 i am not allowed to book a room. How does this make any sense? How do the college kids book rooms during spring break when they are clearly not 25. Is this a new rule?

I believe it's always been a rule. I believe its a dumb rule. People have complained that a 21 year old can go to war and fight for our country but can't book a cruise. I was married with a good job and two kids at 24, and I think it would have been ridiculous not to have been allowed to book a cruise. I think the age should be 21.

I book right through carnival.com. I thought the age was 21, perhaps they increased it recently.

edit- I did book them with my fiancé but we share no last name so maybe it let me book it because of that. We are both 25 but have been cruising for the last couple of years together.

Edited by gfountain1

I was 23 and my wife was 23 in 2008 when we were married and I had no problem booking for our honeymoon.

That's because you two were married. Rule doesn't apply to married passengers 21 and over.

ETA: just saw this on the website, so I don't get why the OP couldn't book at age 24:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age_Policy.aspx

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Are you cruising with someone else, and what is their age?

I believe I saw something about this on John Heald's Facebook page recently. If I remember correctly, two people over 21 are fine, but if you are over 21 and your roommate is under 21, that is not allowed unless you are 25.

Has something changed? I thought that the rule was that:

- You have to be 21 or older to book a cruise.

- The 25 or older rule applies ONLY if another passenger in the same cabin is under the age of 21.

- MARRIED passengers or active military passengers can book as long as they are 18 or older.

Once again, has something changed recently? It's been a while since I've looked at these rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

That's because you two were married. Rule doesn't apply to married passengers 21 and over.

ETA: just saw this on the website, so I don't get why the OP couldn't book at age 24:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Age_Policy.aspx

according to this link he should be able to book. UNLESS he is trying to book someone under 21 in the cabin with him.

This is the rut im currently stuck in. My girlfriend is 20.

Are you cruising with someone else, and what is their age?

I believe I saw something about this on John Heald's Facebook page recently. If I remember correctly, two people over 21 are fine, but if you are over 21 and your roommate is under 21, that is not allowed unless you are 25.

This is the rut im currently stuck in. My girlfriend is 20.

Bingo. If you marry her, you can sail before she turns 21. :D

Edited by Tapi

Has something changed? I thought that the rule was that you had to be 21 or older to book a cruise. The 25 or older rule applieS ONLY if another passenger in the same cabin is under the age of 21. Once again, has something changed recently? It's been a while since I've looked at these rules.

I think something did change cause on their funville forum in 08 someone posted 21 and older can cruise and anyone under 21 needs a guardian over 25. Now it's anyone under 25 needs someone 25 or older but it doesn't have to be a guardian.

I booked my first cruise when I was 22, and this upcoming one at 24 (I'll be 24 at the time of sailing) so I honestly have no idea why they aren't letting you book, that is weird.

Both my SO and I (who was sailing with me) were under 25 during out first cruise. He will be 25 this cruise but I don't think that matters considering I am the one who booked it and am paying it off with my credit card.

It has to do with liability of spring breakers. Just like some companies won't rent a car to under 25s or they charge an extra arm and leg to do so.

The only way around it is to get a friend over age 25 to come along.

The OP could book a cabin alone at age 24 (even at 21). The problem is his girlfriend is under 21. Anyone under 21 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian over 25. Boyfriend status does not count as guardian. If two unmarried people over 21, but under 25 book together, no problem. As long as everyone is over 21 on the booking, no problem. The first person under 21 triggers the parent/guardian rule and requires someone 25+.

The OP is correct that RCCL allows a booking with someone under 21 as long as there is someone on the booking over 21.

I am so frustrated, just got off the phone with Carnival. Apparently i cannot cruise with them this spring because of my age. I will be 24 at the time of sailing, but because i am not 25 i am not allowed to book a room. How does this make any sense? How do the college kids book rooms during spring break when they are clearly not 25. Is this a new rule?

More than likely, this is how college kids book cabins - "The Group policy is slightly different because of stricter group terms and conditions including mandatory chaperones, damage deposits and other considerations."