Cannot book because of age?

dolphinsfan246

How times have changed since I went on my high school graduation cruise in the 90's aboard the Carla Costa.

750 high school students traveling with FOUR adult chaperones, and open bar with no age restrictions! :eek: Hundreds of drunk 17 year olds in togas (Costa). Today, that scenario would make national headline news.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

This is the rut im currently stuck in. My girlfriend is 20.

I guess you just need to get married then. ;) I was 20 and my husband 21 on our honeymoon cruise.

But I agree, it is a silly rule. You are an adult at 18/19 depending on the state. So why not have 21 be the booking age and no one under 18 in the cabin with them. I wonder if they also want to cut down on underage drinking??

How times have changed since I went on my high school graduation cruise in the 90's aboard the Carla Costa.

750 high school students traveling with FOUR adult chaperones, and open bar with no age restrictions! :eek: Hundreds of drunk 17 year olds in togas (Costa). Today, that scenario would make national headline news.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This scenario is pretty much what happened and is why Carnival made the rule originally. If you do the research, the cruise was out of California and parents were just dropping their H.S. seniors off at the port...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This scenario is pretty much what happened and is why Carnival made the rule originally. If you do the research, the cruise was out of California and parents were just dropping their H.S. seniors off at the port...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks..always a few acting in a group that changes things for a majority...

Met a 30 year old vet that was so fun and so respectful in a long line Sunday at grocery store before the game..sure he was like that when he came home under 25...way under..and treated alll as his equal and fought for those whom as he put it.."were free not to think as he did even though tough"..that was the freedom he fought for in spite of politics and everything else.

OP only because I am 55 can I say this..it isn't fair and you will chuckle about it later..unfortunately only a year later...

Happy sails..

Often auntie Sarah

Edited by sjn911

It's kind of sad that the "history" of passengers on a cruise line still impacts future cruisers for eons after the event. I totally remember the riots on Carnival and the damage caused by spring break cruisers...most who were well under 21. I am sure that as a result Carnival has worked diligently to erase an image that still haunts them today...and folks like the original OP aren't really treated fairly.

I wonder if peeps even realize that their actions may cause consequences....how many of those "partyers" ever thought that years later there would still be ramifications from their drunk, disorderly, and destructive behavior.

It's kind of sad that the "history" of passengers on a cruise line still impacts future cruisers for eons after the event. I totally remember the riots on Carnival and the damage caused by spring break cruisers...most who were well under 21. I am sure that as a result Carnival has worked diligently to erase an image that still haunts them today...and folks like the original OP aren't really treated fairly.

I wonder if peeps even realize that their actions may cause consequences....how many of those "partyers" ever thought that years later there would still be ramifications from their drunk, disorderly, and destructive behavior.

Carnival is not the victim here they contributed greatly to the "image" that still haunts them to this day. What corporate entity in it's right mind would take money from under 21's, serve them unlimited booze and not expected drunk, disorderly and destructive behavior? Why did Carnival do it? Because it was chasing $profits$.

Those ramifications you speak of are the result of Carnival's overreaction to the events they themselves allowed to happen years ago.

And OP if Carnival has this stupid, reactionary rule go sail with Royal.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Carnival is not the victim here they contributed greatly to the "image" that still haunts them to this day. What corporate entity in it's right mind would take money from under 21's, serve them unlimited booze and not expected drunk, disorderly and destructive behavior? Why did Carnival do it? Because it was chasing $profits$.

Those ramifications you speak of are the result of Carnival's overreaction to the events they themselves allowed to happen years ago.

And OP if Carnival has this stupid, reactionary rule go sail with Royal.

Oh...what I love about today's society. No one is ever held accountable for their own actions. Blame the booze and the bartenders....even though the legal drinking age was 18 back then.

I believe it's always been a rule. I believe its a dumb rule. People have complained that a 21 year old can go to war and fight for our country but can't book a cruise. I was married with a good job and two kids at 24, and I think it would have been ridiculous not to have been allowed to book a cruise. I think the age should be 21.

Military like married is also an exception.

Here is the quote:

Terms & Conditions: Minor Policy (Guests under the age of 21)

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insist on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative/guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions are as follows:

Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative/guardian under the following conditions:

Legally married couples, including same gender couples

Proper documentation (i.e., official marriage license or proof of civil union) must be submitted prior to or on embarkation day.

Qualified Military Personnel

Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their guests) of 18 – 20 years of age

Copy of Military ID will suffice as proof of service.

For both exceptions, bookings should be carefully documented. Documentation can be e-mailed to individualsailingsupport@carnival.com. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

When minors (18 and under) are NOT traveling with a relative, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel.

Edited by A&Jfamily

Every business, either privately held or shareholder owned has some form of risk management. Carnival and it's peers in the travel business maintains a database of incidents and events based on age, travel date, etc.

Insurance companies will not underwrite a policy unless age restrictions are in place. The same scenario can be found for car insurance, younger ages pay more. We got insurance discounts for our daughter based on her being in college and having a higher GPA.

I know it's not so much fun finding this out, and the "old enough to serve our country" example has real merit, but they can make the rules.

I'm 56, you can take a decade from me. Grab a few pounds too!

Edited by BallFour4

I don't think you can rent a car either if you're under 25.

Sure you can...you just have to pay through the nose and buy an insurance rider.

The issue for the OP isn't his age...its his girlfriends age. And the reason for this is obvious. Carnival does not want the liability if 24 year old decides to sneakily buy drinks for someone underage. Rather than Carnival having to "police" a potential situation they just make a booking rule to help protect their liability.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I am so frustrated, just got off the phone with Carnival. Apparently i cannot cruise with them this spring because of my age. I will be 24 at the time of sailing, but because i am not 25 i am not allowed to book a room. How does this make any sense? How do the college kids book rooms during spring break when they are clearly not 25. Is this a new rule?

I booked by first ever cruise when I was 22 and my boyfriend was 23. I believe you have to be 21 to book a room, unless you have a non-related minor in the cabin for you. I booked mine right online.

This is the rut im currently stuck in. My girlfriend is 20.

The United States of America seem to really up the ante when it comes to age. In the United Kingdom the Carnival brand P&O Cruises (not widely marketed in the US) has a rule which states:

8. A booking may only be made by a person aged 18 or over. All passengers who, at the time of departure will be under 18 years old must be accompanied by a Passenger aged 18 or over who will at all times during the Package be responsible for their welfare, conduct and behaviour. Passengers under 16 years old are not permitted to travel in a cabin without an accompanying Passenger who is 16 years old or over. Passengers under 16 years old are not permitted to disembark the ship in any port without a Passenger who is accompanying them on the Package in accordance with this clause.

Similarly the alcohol minimum drinking age on P&O out of Barbados Caribbean cruises is 18 years. Whereas if the ship enters American waters it raises to 21 years. Invariably they do not call at US ports because of this.

I am not sure if the rules are different for US citizens booking P&O cruises but the age limits you quote seem extremely high. I am sure other lines will accept bookings from people on the cusp agewise.

Regards John

Sure you can...you just have to pay through the nose and buy an insurance rider.

The issue for the OP isn't his age...its his girlfriends age. And the reason for this is obvious. Carnival does not want the liability if 25 year old decides to sneakily buy drinks for someone underage. Rather than Carnival having to "police" a potential situation they just make a booking rule to help protect their liability.

I ran into this problem at a restaurant near a college campus years ago. I wasn't allowed to eat there at age 20 with my 22-year-old non-drinking boyfriend, because they made a blanket rule rather than policing individuals. In OP's case, because Carnival doesn't want groups of college kids, some over 21 and some not, sharing drinks, they make a blanket rule. Of course, there are plenty of responsible, law-abiding young people and plenty of people over age 25 who would supply teenagers with alcohol, but the rule prevents one specific problem situation.

Yeah gfountain it wouldn't let me. Even called Carnival and got the run around about how you have to sail with somebody over 25. I even know college friends that have sailed and none of them were 25 thats why im frustrated.

Carnival states that EVERYone must be 21 in the cabin or they must have someone in the cabin that is 25 or over.

Who else is in the cabin with you-- is that person under 21?

If EVERYone is 21 or over-- call again and rebook. the person you tried to book with does not know that rule

Edited by serene56

I think's it been established that the OP is old enough to book on his own but can't, because his girlfriend, who is 21, can't book in a room with him. Someone else 25 or older would have to book with them.

Go Royal. Or there's always Cancun!!!:p

the OP got a very bad agent. If the GF was 21 and not 1 week shy of her 21 birthday they should have been able to book the cruise.

as long as both of them were 21 at day of sailing they should have been able to book the cruise

I think's it been established that the OP is old enough to book on his own but can't, because his girlfriend, who is 21, can't book in a room with him. Someone else 25 or older would have to book with them.

Again is Girlfriend is only 20. That's the problem. She is NOT 21. If she was then there would not be a problem.

Oh...what I love about today's society. No one is ever held accountable for their own actions. Blame the booze and the bartenders....even though the legal drinking age was 18 back then.

I didn't say that the under 21's shouldn't be held accountable. All I said was that Carnival should be held accountable as well. They had a big hand in creating the problem they are now overreacting too. In your world the bartenders and the Corporations that profit from those drunk kids are never held accountable for their own actions. ;) A little balance needed here or you might fall off that high horse of yours.;)

Edited by DirtyDawg

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover