Cabin steward tip

schlot

Tipping over and above auto system is really dependent upon the level of service that you have received from that individual.We have experienced super awesome service from staff and 'cash bonus' accordingly.

Before the auto-tip, Princess had suggested amounts for tipping the cabin steward and other personnel. Of course passengers who experienced great service often added to that amount.

When the auto-tip started, it was at the total of those suggested amounts. Of course passengers who experienced great service often added to that amount.

The amount of the auto-tip has been increased several times since it began.

So, basically, the auto-tip is what Princess feels is a fair tipping amount that also includes the cabin stewards. Of course passengers who experienced great service often added to that amount.

We were told that although the Made A Difference cards are nice, they TRULY appreciate a mention on the after cruise survey. The crew get extra days off as well as other things for enough mentions. We were also told that a list of names goes up in the crew mess and other areas with names highlighted for those that got mentioned in the surveys. It definitely does not go unnoticed. :)

Point written into my Cruise Notebook to action. Another useful tip was to take a photo, with their permission of course, of the person's nametag, and note where you were-I have a numbered list of photos taken so can cross-reference easily. THANK YOU for the information.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Point written into my Cruise Notebook to action. Another useful tip was to take a photo, with their permission of course, of the person's nametag, and note where you were-I have a numbered list of photos taken so can cross-reference easily. THANK YOU for the information.

Crochetcruise :cool:

Great idea! I am the worst with remembering names.

We were told by a friend who worked on a ship as a steward that if you are happy you can give $10 or $20. Sounds like based on what he said that is an acceptable tip. We were in a full suite for 7 days and we tipped $50. He deserved every penny. We also tipped some of the staff (on the last day) we saw regularly throughout the cruise. Usually $5 each if we had been served by them regularly and thought they did a great job. We tipped the maitre d and all the servers in Sabatinis since we had breakfast and dinner in there and then there were a few bartender/coffee servers that showed great attitudes through the trip. It was end of season Alaska so they easily could have been disgruntled and worn out and they were not! The girl from the Ukraine that had been both a barista and a bartender for me looked like she was going to cry lol.

We have always been well taken care of, but on our last trip my daughter had a lanyard for her keycard that was magnetic. It demagnatized her card and wouldn't let her open the cabin door. Our steward noticed this, and just "happened" to be in the hallway outside of our cabin in between activities at Shockwaves, to let her in. We gave him $50 cash in addition to leaving the auto tip intact. We also mentioned him on a comment card and again later on the survey.

We will always leave the auto tip intact, and give extra where we feel that it is appropriate.

Last year, we had a suite and the balcony room next to it. We tipped an extra $20 on the mornings of port days so he would have spending money if he went ashore. The room stewards are allowed to leave the ship in the middle of the day if they finish their morning work and come back in time to start their evening work. We also tipped an extra $20 during the 11 day cruise because we asked if he knew how to make towel animals. I know from reading these boards that Princess is not known for towel animals so it is very rare if you get them. He ended up making some throughout the week for both rooms when he had time. On one day, he made a special one just for my son. It was a penguin which is not a common towel animal. He took the time to ask the other room stewards how to make it when he found out earlier in the week that my son's favorite animal is a penguin. That was awesome. Plus every time he saw us coming down the hall and he was near our room, he would use his key card to open the door for us. He definitely earned the extra tips and the excellent comments we left for him on the surveys.

Just wondering what other have given (if any ) for an additional cash tip to your cabin stewards?

We gave $50 for our 5 day cruise.

Princess already figured it all out for me and charges me accordingly on a daily basis. Why second guess them , I don't leave any more then I'm charged and I'm sure they wish everyone would just leave their auto gratuity's intact.