Ruby Princess E. Caribbean photo and video review

Bimmer09

Norris,

We LOVE Celebrity! My fave! (In our opinion they have the best food too) It is quite delightful to be welcomed onboard with a glass of champagne or mimosa. The Persian Garden with the heated mosaic tile lounges facing a wall of windows looking out to sea is divine.

I look forward to your review on that as we are booked on a TA on her November 2016.

:)

Robin

Robin, thanks for the endorsement of my Celebrity choice and thanks for reading along on this Ruby review.

Good to see you here!

Norris

A couple of weeks before we left home I went on T. Advisor to find us a restaurant for dinner while staying at the Ritz Carlton. The hotel has a nice restaurant but I wanted us to get out of the hotel and not cocoon.

I found one that appealed and offered outside dining. The Chef is Middle Eastern so that appealed too. It was ranked #6 in FLL on T.A. and has some rave reviews.

It was called The Secret Garden and is part of the Pillars Hotel.

I sent them an e mail asking for a reservation and within minutes got a reply saying they serve guests and members of their dining club only.

Say what?? I wrote back and told them we were staying at the RC to see if that would help and they responded saying that if we got the RC concierge to call on our behalf they would book us a table. I phoned the RC and set the concierge in motion and we got our reservation. Phew! It had better be good!

With googlemaps on our phones we set out to find it. I don't see it I said after walking 50 yards. I don't see any hotel here. The map had us standing in front of an elegant looking house-think Ricardo Mantalban rather than Za Za Gabor when it comes to house styles. No big sign, just a tiny plaque trying to hide behind a bush.

We went up and knocked at the door and a well dressed gent opened it and invited us in. We told him who we were- "yes, we're expecting you, follow me".

We walked out through the main dining room and through the swimming pool area to a deck on the waterside. The water was the Intracoastal Waterway with boats anchored nearby in the dark and boats moving to and fro on the water.

We were offered our choice of tables right on the water and picked a quiet one away from the three or so tables that were occupied. There was also a gazebo affair- sort of a tent with open sides, the canvas drawn back like curtains, raised up at the pool level.

View from the table

16580506902_e38127f77b_c.jpg[/url]

Atmospheric. The waterway is wide here and memories of Venice came to mind when boats went by.

16579985281_cf0c3902ed_c.jpg

A young waitress in a long white apron came to introduce herself and give us menus and wine list. She had a European accent and was very well spoken.

Drinks were ordered and weren't priced like an airport. I think I had a glass of Pinot Grigio for $10 which is very fair.

The menu was small, which suits us as it makes it easier to decide. When in Florida we like to eat fish dishes and we found entrees that made the decision easier. Meanwhile, warm fresh bread was brought from the oven with a trio of tapenades to spread. Normally I devour an entire bread bowl before dinner but as we had eaten a big sandwich just over 4 hours earlier I had to exercise restraint.

A bowl of potato soup came to the table-well, not under it's own steam-the waitress carried it. This was for me while Carol had a cucumber salad.

Photographic conditions were not ideal but I hope you get the gist. Somewhere between courses we noticed a brightly lit boat chugging along and then it turned towards us....and kept on coming. It had searchlights which were shining right on our table. It slowed but kept coming until it was touching the dock at our table, maybe 3 feet away. I had to avert my video camera as it was so bright.

Turned out it was the Intracoastal Ferry and a couple of the passengers on board were staying at the hotel and asked to be dropped off- no problem!!

Back to dinner and Carol had chosen the Sword fish while I picked the Chilean Sea bass, one of my favorites. $31 and $37 respectively.

Swordfish photographed by Carol in low light

16555219796_8669e069de_c.jpg

My entree

15961433853_3d81ddd97b_c.jpg

For dessert we both had espresso creme brûlée and it was excellent as the whole meal had been. Service was unobtrusive and top-notch. An 18% gratuity was already added to the bill which with tax ended up at $168 as I had a couple of glasses of wine. A lovely meal but I just wished I had been starving and could have tried more goodies.

I'll give them a good review on TA and hope they'll let us eat there again.

I regret not firing off a bunch of photos of the pool and surrounding rooms all with a water view but it was dark and it didn't seem the right place to be getting up and walking around while others were having a quiet dinner.

Video and The Accident coming up soon....

Norris

We had a lovely meal. In the case of my sea bass the best I've ever had. Carol favored the meal in 3030 Ocean more and indeed that was stellar and something we will repeat next January when we join the Silhouette.

As we got up from the table, so did a lady who had been dining alone in the gazebo. Carol struck up a conversation with her. She had been coming to the Pillars for ten years and loves it.

I walked along behind them as we walked beside the pool which was lit up from the inside-looked beautiful in the gloom.

When we got to the end of the pool with the main dining groom in sight before us I somehow got my left foot under a low rim that surrounded the pool and tripped.

For what seemed like a minute but was a second or two I was a mass of flailing arms trying to stay upright. I was too far behind the ladies for them to catch me and unable to right myself I started to fall towards the water. Adrenalin pumped through my veins, which helps a person think quickly in situations like this or when a brown bear is trying to dine on your ass in Alaska and I realized that if I went in the water, which was a sure thing, then the cameras hanging from my shoulder would get ruined and so as I fell forward at the corner of the pool I twisted and threw myself hopefully far enough to the right to escape a dunking.

I landed hard on my left shoulder, left elbow and left knee right on the edge of the concrete lip surrounding the pool-but my camera bag stayed out of the water as it was over my right shoulder. Another couple of inches closer to the edge and I would have broken my fall with my face, but my head stayed off the concrete thank goodness and I was just sore and winded.

The ladies helped me up, shaken not stirred and nothing felt broken, just bruised and sprained. I was able to walk away and carry on a conversation to change the subject. The bruises to my elbow and knee soon healed within a week but my shoulder was stiff for 3 weeks afterwards as I came down hard on it. Ouch!

We said our goodbyes to the lady and walked back to the Ritz where a good night's sleep was on the menu. A bellman opened the door for us and bade us goodnight. The bed was a heavenly pillow top and it welcomed my aching body.

Here's a video clip of our dinner at the Secret Garden

Norris

Your accident reminds me of the time we were at the Sacre Coeur Basilica in Paris. Here we were at the top of the loooong flight of stairs. I'm carrying a heavy backpack filled with travel books, maps, brochures, bottles of water, and who knows what else. Anyway, I tripped over something, and the heavy backpack helped to propel me towards the flight of stairs. In slow motion I was hunched over and stumbled closer and closer. Thankfully, I fell inches before tumbling down the steps. I landed hard on my thumb, and it still bothers me 13 years later. But I'm very thankful that I stopped before the stairs. Glad to hear that your accident turned out ok, just a few bruises and sores.

After a great sleep and a super shower I was out on the streets of Ft Lauderdale around 7 a.m. Sunny but breezy along the seafront. Mission-scouting for breakfast but before I had walked 10 ft I found the ideal spot-tables were laid out on the hotel patio facing the sea. There were only two people eating out there so far-two cops who had parked their cars across the street by the beach.

I took a walk anyway and sat on the beach wall for a bit just soaking up the warmth and the sea air as in a couple of hours we would be heading to the airport and to an uncertain future. Heavy snow was forecast for Chicago around the time we were due to land. It was Superbowl Sunday.

We function like a well-oiled machine when it comes to packing up and preparing to leave a hotel:nothing gets left behind and we don't get in each other's way.

All that remained now was to have breakfast on the patio at the hotel's Via Luna restaurant. Just like the bellman the night before, our waitress, Carmen, was a great ambassador for the hotel. Super-friendly and down to Earth and she brought us plates of hot delicious food. I eschewed the offer of the buffet for $32 and opted for a classic American breakfast-eggs potatoes (superb) and toast. Orange juice was fresh-squeezed and the coffee drinkable. Carol had the Belgian waffles with fruit. Nothing was luke-warm, no rubbery scrambled eggs from a steam table. Potatoes fried with crisp edges and chopped sautéed onions. Hot toast. My scrambled eggs had pieces of ham mixed in.

A nice place to sit and eat, looking at the sparkling ocean.

16511026107_3d8cc361ab_c.jpg 16511026107_3d8cc361ab_b.jpg

A cab to the airport, a short ride. Check in and plane showing on time.

The tiny United Club was packed but we managed to find the last two seats, separately and used the wi fi for my laptop and Carol's iPad.

The flight that was leaving after ours for Chicago was showing delayed due to lack of equipment. Our plane was here, having flown in from Houston so we would definitely get out on time and once we got near Chicago-we'd have to land somewhere in the midwest!

The plane got to O'Hare on time but when we dropped out of the clouds all we could see was white and the pilot landed us in the snow

The arrivals and departures boards were festooned with the word CANCELLED- I believe 1400 flights. There were only two planes unlading luggage and one was ours. We were very lucky to get into O"Hare before it became impossible.

I stepped outside the terminal to have a cigarette after 5 hours without and it was bone chilling.

Taxi's weren't so abundant as usual but we managed to get one within 5 minutes of waiting. A Toyota Prius. Built for the frozen tundra...

Was it really a surprise to us to find that the highway that runs from Chicago to O'Hare, the 2nd busiest in the country was not ploughed? NO, of course not.

18 miles to Downtown on snow 5 inches deep and rutted like a ploughed field in a Toyota Prius, a light car with tiny wheels and front wheel drive when what you need are all wheels pushing.

Changing lanes in poor visibility was very dicey as the car shimmied and the back end began to swing wide. We passed an SUV in a ditch having slid off the highway. We told the driver we were not in a hurry and not to take chances.

It was a long white-knuckle, no talking ride home but finally he pulled into our street and bless him, helped us through the snowbanks to the sidewalk in front of our apartment.

Neighbors held the heavy front doors open so we could get in with our bags.

Up in the elevator. Turned the key in the door and were greeted by two white cats, Lucy and Snowy who were no doubt thinking "where the hell have you been?"

Home. Safe and Sound.What a relief!!

View from the plane on landing

16530729868_b5de53c8ff_c.jpg[/url]

16717233012_de3fd7902f_c.jpg

16098356023_44ac88d4dd_c.jpg

A plane de-icing after leaving the gate

16692405716_657d5e1395_c.jpg

Norris,

Glad to hear that you have healed and managed to save the precious camera eqpt.

Stay safe because everyone will be waiting to hear about your future travels.

Judy

Wow Norris, that was quite a tumble you took.

When we were on our a 10 cruise on the Sun Princess for our 25th, I tripped over a half buried palm tree root at Magens Bay. I thought I just bruised on of my toes, but I actually broke it. Went the medical center on the ship and the doctor taped it to the other toe. Told me to use Ice, Asprin and that Rum helps. LOL

When we were on our a 10 cruise on the Sun Princess for our 25th, I tripped over a half buried palm tree root at Magens Bay. I thought I just bruised one of my toes, but I actually broke it. Went the medical center on the ship and the doctor taped it to the other toe. Told me to use Ice, Asprin and that Rum helps. LOL:D

Norris,

Glad to hear that you have healed and managed to save the precious camera eqpt.

Stay safe because everyone will be waiting to hear about your future travels.

Judy

Thanks Judy! Cameras didn't even hit the ground when I fell as they were on my right shoulder.

All is well.

Norris

When we were on our a 10 cruise on the Sun Princess for our 25th, I tripped over a half buried palm tree root at Magens Bay. I thought I just bruised one of my toes, but I actually broke it. Went the medical center on the ship and the doctor taped it to the other toe. Told me to use Ice, Asprin and that Rum helps. LOL:D

Any ship's doctor who recommends Rum and Ice in the same prescription gets my vote!

Thanks for reading along on this voyage.

All that remains is my "Ruby Wrap-up" tomorrow.

Norris

Glad to hear that your accident turned out ok, just a few bruises and sores.

Thanks Jasperdo. It could have been worse so all's well that ends well! Sorry to hear that after 13 years the thumb still reminds you of your fall.

Thanks for following me on this journey!

Norris

Norris,

Wow, that is quite the story, I'm so glad you are ok. It just goes to show how life can change in an instant! Travel safe.

Ron

Ron-never a truer word said than that in red above.

Thanks for being part of this long ramble!

Best wishes,

Norris

Well that's nice to see that you have such a strong affection for the Ruby. Does she stop anywhere between those two ports? Are you just going for the ship experience itself? Nothing wrong with that! Will you stay overnight in Vancouver?

I like Vancouver. What's not to like?

Thanks for following along to the end.

Norris

Unfortunately, no stops on this shorty.

We originally had planned on a day in Vancouver (exactly, what's not to like) but, a snag came up and we need to get back right after the cruise. Maybe next time. :cool:

If it wasn't for the fact that I have this photo review and the past month of making it as a reminder the cruise would seem like it had never happened.

It's cold every day. We are cooking our own meals again. I'd have to fly over 1,000 miles to smell that invigorating sea air. No one comes into the bedroom to make the bed and freshen the bathroom. I wake up in the morning and I'm in exactly the same place as I was when I went to bed last night.

The months of anticipation came and went. We watched the Ruby on the P.E webcam as it grew dark outside around 4 pm. 3,000 lucky stiffs off to the sun and the fun.

Then we hung a new calendar on the wall that said 2015.

We made a calendar from 12 eight by ten photos from our previous cruise on the Ocean Princess (via Walgreens and very easy to do) Only 3 weeks to wait....

EMBARKATION

Swift and painless. Staggered boarding was suggested but as we have Platinum Priority Boarding and wanted to bag Sanctuary seats we went early and waited 30 minutes or so, among the first 20 to board at 11.30 a.m.

As passengers don't have to vacate their cabins until 8 a.m this is a remarkably fast turnaround of rooms and why you have to wait for the rooms to be ready on some other lines like Royal and Celebrity is beyond me. Our cabin was spotless and ready. This was our 7th Princess Cruise and we have yet to find evidence of the people who were in the cabin just a few hours before we got on.

EMBARKATION LUNCH

The Patter(daily news sheet) said lunch was being served in Da Vinci dining room and the doors there were wide open and a greeter was in place. No attempt to herd you towards the buffet.Our first meal left a lasting impression and hinted at good food to come.

ENTERTAINMENT

The evening shows now feature the LED screen which makes anything possible as a backdrop to the singers and dancers. The music however is canned which makes it more like watching a big screen TV that is being played very loudly.

As the shows are only 30 minutes long you may be tempted to not bother going or if you do go you may skip repeating the experience on another ship. To amortize the costs the shows are likely to appear on subsequent cruises.

The live band-what we know as the Ruby Princess orchestra are now freed-up to play in other rooms onboard, such as Explorers.

There are solo pianists and guitarists who can play in the Piazzas on each ship where background music is appropriate.

It's on deck in the sunny Caribbean that you need some "Island Music"-reggae, calypso- something with a relaxed vibe. Steel drums can put you to sleep-but in a good way. The band they used on the Ruby-Atomic, were high energy and blasted away. Good players but inappropriate for the mellow lazy mood that is needed. A miss there. No one is dancing during the day-they are on their back soaking up the rays or hoping to sleep off those Rumrunners. Atomic were ideal for the Deck party at 9 pm after we left St Maarten. The Steel Drum duo did a couple of short sets on deck-much more appropriate but with only two sea days would have had longer sets scheduled. Music at sail away should always be planned-make it more of an event instead of just gliding out of port in silence. And blow that horn!!

More stand up comic performances would help. Who gets a chance to hear them in the small town they are from? A laugh before bedtime is a great thing.

Princess theater is too big as a comic venue. I'd prefer more performances in smaller rooms for a better atmosphere. The comedian would no doubt have to be paid more to do more shows so I guess that isn't going to happen.

The best entertainment on board was given by a huge group of passengers from Estonia, a country that was just a name to me from my World War II history classes in high school. Now I know more about Estonia and the horrific time they had under 50 years of Russian occupation. They sang their way to independence in a show of solidarity.

They filled the Princess Theater for two shows, each 90 minutes long-a joy. Real LIVE entertainment but I can't count on them being on my next cruise. One of them-the choreographer proposed to his girlfriend on the stage of the Ruby during the last show. What a great moment to share!

There are enough bands and soloists on the ship to entertain you and they can't please everyone unless they expand their versatility to play music to suit the venue (using Atomic as an example)

FOOD

I ate everywhere except Vines and the International Cafe and the food was always hot, fresh and tasty (including the buffet). Only one entree-on the last night-was below par: the Kingklip fish was overcooked and dried out and had to be sawed with a knife and fork, but one weak dish in a week of stellar dishes isn't enough to downgrade the experience of always looking forward to my next meal.

It was only on Princess Cays and that awful COLD BBQ food that I thought "really Princess??" It points to a lack of supervision and care for the customer's experience. I'll give it one more try and if the same next time I will ask to speak to a supervisor and ask for an explanation. It was a surprise that Princess failed us on our first visit to the BBQ, 30 minutes before it was due to stop serving.

To be continued....

PHOTOGRAPHERS

There may have been a cut in the number of photographers on board as they were unobtrusive-certainly in the AT dining rooms on Formal Nights where we expect to get a picture taken (and don't mind and most often buy them)

Ditto when getting off the ship where there are usually two in costume and one taking the shots. I met one at the foot of the gangway in St Thomas when I got off myself. I didn't even bother to look for it in the gallery later. I was hoping for at least one pirate with a parrot on his shoulder and a pistol to my head.

STAFF

This is the second cruise now where I didn't go to the Guest Services desk to get a bunch of You Made a Difference Cards to fill out as I didn't feel that anyone did. Most were doing their job but I'd have to say that's all and not really adding to my experience. The word perfunctory came to mind often.

What I mean is that when you go to a bar to get a drink because there is no one near to get it for you, it would be nice if the bartender engaged you with a smile and a remark- hey, how's it going? or are you loving your cruise? That starts up a banter. When it's reduced to "sign here" or simply laying the check folder down on the counter, you can feel less-valued as a customer.

I used to work on a ship, admittedly 30 years ago now (and how time has flown) but I watched the bartenders and deck waiters at work. Personalities that interacted with the passengers in a positive way. The deck waiters would walk and dance around the deck if there was music playing. They'd call "bar service" as they spun their round trays on one finger above their head. They'd talk to the customers and there would be much laughter. They were light-hearted loose guys from Jamaica mainly. Passengers wanted photos taken with them. They were making a difference, making the experience less than perfunctory. Bartenders would juggle bottles behind their backs to amuse the pax.

Maybe I am too sensitive and expecting too much?

It doesn't cost anything to have your staff interact with customers more- just supervision , training and setting the expectations from the Officers. It can be a Fun ship without bellyflops and excessive drinking.

WAS IT THE BEST CRUISE I'VE BEEN ON?

No that was the Ocean Princess because of the Itinerary (Venice to Rome)

WAS IT THE BEST SHIP I'VE BEEN ON?

No that was the Diamond Princess for the ship itself, the Captain and the fun crew.

WAS IT BETTER THAN A WEEK AT WORK?

OH HELL YES!!!!

With 7 cruises in the past 40 months under our belts and another one booked it would be fair to say that we like the Princess product a lot BUT we realize that it may not be the only line we want to sail.

On the Ocean Princess we had to carry our bags up the gangway while 4 crew watched.

On the Ocean they wanted to send us and our luggage to another cabin, despite what our luggage tags said

On the Ocean they gave us a comp dinner for a restaurant that was closed that night

On the Ocean they gave 2 passengers the wrong color codes for their excursion so they ended up on the wrong bus going to somewhere they didn't want to go.

On the Ruby they served us cold food at the BBQ on P Cays

On the Ruby they close the bars earlier than advertised, onboard and ashore

On the Ruby they don't clear up the trash from the night before until the next

day- one guy could go around with a cart after midnight and pick it up

On the Ruby they blocked off decks at sea for no good reason

On the Ruby they suddenly changed the location of a smoking section and hustled the guests out of the area

Ok these are FIRST WORLD problems but the Devil is in the Details and the cost of fixing all those little niggling things listed above is ZERO DOLLARS.

For the crew it's "Just another cruise" and another week ticked off the calendar in their cabin. For the passengers though it is "their long-anticipated vacation" and they (we, I) are looking for the best possible experience, where we hear YES more than NO.

When I pass a crew member on the deck and make eye contact I expect to hear "Morning Sir" not have them suddenly look away out to sea, searching for that whale playing a banjo that I still haven't seen, and ignoring me. I have a cheery greeting waiting for them but it goes unused. Even members of the cruise staff blanked me out when I passed them close by.

The little things can mean a lot.

How was your day ashore?

Did you like the Beef Wellington?

Have you tried Limoncello , sir?

Would you like a bucket of beers?- funny I never heard that once on the Ruby .

My answer would most often be- No thanks but there have been times when I said Yes, good idea!

If I was running the ship I'd expect to hear my staff offering. I would expect to be saying at the Saturday meeting with staff-wow! Those Limoncello sales are through the roof! Wow guys we had a record number of You Made A Difference cards this week-nice job motivating the staff! High fives!!

Princess has 19 ships out there 24/7 and they seem to be doing fine without my advice. Having a soft-spot for the line and having enjoyed all my 7 cruises just makes me care more and want them to be better than the competition. Can they be though with sloppy management at all levels?

Did anyone reading this applaud when they heard that Princess put a colored fountain on the deck of Royal Princess where an extra pool could have gone?

Did the applause continue when the balconies shrunk?

Did the aft-suite dwellers who pay big $$$ for the location throw their caps in the air when they came up with these balconies that have no shade/privacy or cover from the elements and the rain of soot?

Those are just some of the Corporate Decisions made of late.

DID I ENJOY MY CRUISE ON THE RUBY?

If you've read this review from stem to stern I am sure you can answer that yourself.

We are booked on the Emerald from Rome to Barcelona and the anticipation is high. We roll with the punches as we know nothing is perfect but we are not going into the next cruise expecting anything less than an amazing memorable vacation which is what we have come to expect from Princess BUT we know and Princess should know that we have many other choices as the Cruise Industry is rich in competition for our business.

We need to get away each January to somewhere warm and close so that usually means the Caribbean and next year, after looking at the Princess offerings we decided on a 7 day cruise-on Celebrity Silhouette. Good itinerary for us, new experience from the moment we step on board and at a price that we could not pass up. I'll let you know how that works out come next January on the Celebrity board and later on the Princess board.

For now I want to thank everyone who has read through this and in particular I want to thank those of you who took the trouble to post comments and compliments as you make it a pleasure rather than a lot of uploading/typing/cutting and pasting.

HOPE YOU CAN JOIN ME FOR THE EMERALD REVIEW IN EARLY OCTOBER!!

Norris

Yes Norris, I'll definitely join you in early October for your Emerald review ... assuming I keep waking up each morning. ;)

Thank you for doing this review - for your hard work, beautiful pics and videos. I've thoroughly enjoyed sailing along with you both.

Until October ... happy trails. :)

Just wanted to pop in again and say Thank You for such a fantastic and informative review. Looking forward to your next review of the Emerald, and of the Silhouette next year. Haven't sailed with Celebrity in over 20 years, and I'm interested in your take on them.

Edited by Jasperdo

Wow, loved your review! I will be on the Ruby in August and am so excited especially after reading all your entries! Thank you!

Thanks Christell, glad to see you here!

Enjoy the Ruby!! You will love Alaska.

Norris

Yes Norris, I'll definitely join you in early October for your Emerald review ... assuming I keep waking up each morning. ;)

Thank you for doing this review - for your hard work, beautiful pics and videos. I've thoroughly enjoyed sailing along with you both.

Until October ... happy trails. :)

Thanks LC,

I hope to bring even better photos from the Emerald as she's new to me as are many of the ports.

I'll do a better job with the videos for sure. Those have been neglected somewhat.

See you later!

Norris