No Complimentary Treats at Explorations Cafe

ithaca gal

If you are not making a purchase, I think it should not be a problem to get ONE cookie, etc. However, if people are "cleaning out" the case, I agree with putting up the sign and keeping the treats available for those who walk to the Explorations Café and expect to get a coffee AND snack. The others can walk to the Lido.

It is a shame that a few "piggies" ruin it for all.

I object to the characterization of someone who wants a couple of cookies but not a coffee as a pig.

Why don't the HAL employees walk to the Lido or to the cookie closet and refill the case? :confused:

NO... every ship has a venue w pastries in the atrium... what is this the dark ages

Uh no! On the Breeze, we had to purchase the treats. I don't remember any free treats on Princess aside from what was available at the Lido.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Uh no! On the Breeze, we had to purchase the treats. I don't remember any free treats on Princess aside from what was available at the Lido.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Princess to the right of the coffee is pastries in the AM and all day is sandwiches and salads offered for free. Many times I just eat a light lunch there....

I am not a "Lido" person... I maybe eat at the buffet once or twice on a 7 day cruise....

CC

I don't remember any free treats on Princess aside from what was available at the Lido.

Most Princess ships have an International Café, located adjacent to the coffee bar in the Piazza. In the morning, they have pastries and later shift to soup, paninis, salads, and desserts. There is a charge for gelato ($1.50 for three scoops).

It's very nice to be able to grab a quick snack, and it's something we miss when we cruise HAL (which has been less and less lately).

Most Princess ships have an International Café, located adjacent to the coffee bar in the Piazza. In the morning, they have pastries and later shift to soup, paninis, salads, and desserts. There is a charge for gelato ($1.50 for three scoops).

It's very nice to be able to grab a quick snack, and it's something we miss when we cruise HAL (which has been less and less lately).

On our first Princess cruise, we were amazed at the variety of high-quality items available in the International Café, 24/7, at no charge, refreshed frequently, changing throughout the day. It may seem like a small thing, but the IC was one of the most pleasant features of our initial Princess experience, and frankly when we had to choose between HAL and Princess for our Alaska cruise this year, our fond memories of the IC were a major factor in choosing Princess. The idea of having to pay for a cookie in Explorations - or else trek down to the Lido - is pretty off-putting. How many other cruise lines charge extra for a cookie?

On our first Princess cruise, we were amazed at the variety of high-quality items available in the International Café, 24/7, at no charge, refreshed frequently, changing throughout the day. It may seem like a small thing, but the IC was one of the most pleasant features of our initial Princess experience, and frankly when we had to choose between HAL and Princess for our Alaska cruise this year, our fond memories of the IC were a major factor in choosing Princess. The idea of having to pay for a cookie in Explorations - or else trek down to the Lido - is pretty off-putting. How many other cruise lines charge extra for a cookie?

Thanks I agree.. It's ridiculous. I've sailed all the major mass market brands and can't see paying for a cookie or pastry for that matter..

We love the IC and the wine bar... at the wine bar u just buy a glass of wine and u get tapas and sushi.. many times they get to know u and will give u the food even if u didn't buy wine....

I will report back as I know I will get a cookie w/out paying....:D I have my ways....

CC

I totally agree with this comment, who the heck cares if someone takes a cookie or pastry without buying something. Who the heck cares if someone takes a cookie at a meet and greet. Policies like this reaffirm my belief that Holland America is still nose diving down from their former self.

We also love the IC on Princess, good food always available. I get real irritated with the limited hours for the HAL Lido and their inflexibility to expand the hours on port days. Get back to a ship at five minutes after 2pm and the Lido is closed.

Someone mentioned the HAL soda card, it is electronically punched for a certain number of drinks. Fair enough but on our last couple cruises they were serving small glasses of ice with a drizzle of soda and they pay no attention if you ask for little ice. Disgustingly cheap method for dispensing of soda.

Edited by sammiedawg

I agree that the IC is fabulous--DH gets the coffee card, so we swing by frequently. He loves the paninis and I am always hopeful that there will be Greek salad. :) You're right that it may seem like such a small thing, but we find ourselves there most days at least once, and then of course we might have the good timing to catch some entertainment in the Piazza as well.

I also agree with sammiedawg that HAL's Lido hours are way too short. Many times we find ourselves looking for food in the afternoons and come up short. I don't always want a hamburger or something from the limited room-service menu. Princess has the IC and also much longer service in the Lido.

NO... every ship has a venue w pastries in the atrium... what is this the dark ages

Just had a great cruise on the Crown Princess and the international cafe in the atrium sold coffee drinks and served complementary snacks to anyone. Why can Princess do this but HAL cannot figure it out?

We're talking about Holland America here. Coffee shops? On a ship? What madness is this? Where do you think we are, the 21st Century??

Thanks I agree.. It's ridiculous. I've sailed all the major mass market brands and can't see paying for a cookie or pastry for that matter..

We love the IC and the wine bar... at the wine bar u just buy a glass of wine and u get tapas and sushi.. many times they get to know u and will give u the food even if u didn't buy wine....

I will report back as I know I will get a cookie w/out paying....:D I have my ways....

You may have missed the point. The Explorations Cafe works the same way. Buy a specialty coffee and get a pastry to enjoy with it. The drink costs the same whether you take the pastry or not.

Calling it a "Cafe" is a misnomer anyway. It's not an eatery. It's a coffee bar in the middle of the library/internet center.

Also, the problem isn't getting "a cookie w/out paying". That's really not difficult, and I'm sure you'll succeed. The problem is (apparently) when some folks decide to take mass quantities of them just because they're there. It's at that point that the "free with coffee purchase" sign comes out.

I totally agree with this comment, who the heck cares if someone takes a cookie or pastry without buying something. Who the heck cares if someone takes a cookie at a meet and greet. Policies like this reaffirm my belief that Holland America is still nose diving down from their former self.

We also love the IC on Princess, good food always available. I get real irritated with the limited hours for the HAL Lido and their inflexibility to expand the hours on port days. Get back to a ship at five minutes after 2pm and the Lido is closed.

Someone mentioned the HAL soda card, it is electronically punched for a certain number of drinks. Fair enough but on our last couple cruises they were serving small glasses of ice with a drizzle of soda and they pay no attention if you ask for little ice. Disgustingly cheap method for dispensing of soda.

My impression is that the HAL-loyalists in this thread are dismayed that it is the manners and courtesy of fellow passengers that is nose-diving, not the policies of the Line. Who cares if random people walk into a Meet&Greet and start taking cookies and coffee? I think the folks whose M&G that was probably would. It's a (semi-) private party. That stuff was prepared and put out for them, as a courtesy from the Line.

It's not an international Cafe/eatery

It's a coffee counter in the middle of the library with 2 small glass dishes with domes over them. I'm sure they could last all day, with coffee purchasers and the occasional passenger who simply wants a pastry/cookie

No they're not set up for Joe Greed who wants to bring 10 back to his cabin.

They don't have a designated sweet runner to man the pastry dish and run up to the Lido all day replenishing the sweets. People claim they can't get a drink due to lack of service. Now they want to assign mister Keebler to gather cookies all day.

Reminds me of the "shrimp lady" story... about the woman who would stuff shrimp and everything else off the buffet into her purse....

Hoarding food on a cruise ship makes no sense and is tres gauche...

I guess I'll be sticking to diet... 3 square meals.. mo big deal :D

CC

I was on the Eurodam in November and occassionally got a treat in the Explorer's Cafe without buying a coffee...They had a large selection of pastries and desserts and some small sandwiches. It was never crowded near the counter, and the staff was happy to stop us when we passed by

asking if we wanted anything. There was never a push for the coffee at all.

I would be disspointed not to experience the same nice service on the Nieuw Amsterdam this March.

I, too, enjoy the International Cafe on Princess and appreciate the chance to get a snack if it is not convenient to run to the Lido.

I was on the Eurodam in November and occassionally got a treat in the Explorer's Cafe without buying a coffee...They had a large selection of pastries and desserts and some small sandwiches. It was never crowded near the counter, and the staff was happy to stop us when we passed by

asking if we wanted anything. There was never a push for the coffee at all.

I would be disspointed not to experience the same nice service on the Nieuw Amsterdam this March.

I, too, enjoy the International Cafe on Princess and appreciate the chance to get a snack if it is not convenient to run to the Lido.

Thanks.. I think if your pleasant with a smile and ask for one or two items it would not be a problem.

I'm going w my mom on this cruise. If I was w hubby and the said NO to him.. that would be a problem.Unless it's an unreasonable request they should never tell u NO on a cruise.. esp on HAL which is considered a Premium line

CC

I support the new policy as I would also be put off if there was nothing left for coffee patrons. If someone just wants a dessert then they can go to the Lido.

igraf

..One day I was waiting for my coffee and noticed a sign on the display case. It said "Complimentary Treats with Any Coffee Purchase". !!!

A guest who was purchasing coffee was upset that the treats she wanted were gone because guests who were not making purchases were taking all the treats! So .......... do not count on getting free treats at Explorations Café without making a purchase.[end quote]

Edited by igraf

I have never felt that there wasn't enough food to eat on a cruise!!!!

igraf

....I also agree with sammiedawg that HAL's Lido hours are way too short. Many times we find ourselves looking for food in the afternoons and come up short. I don't always want a hamburger or something from the limited room-service menu. Princess has the IC and also much longer service in the Lido.

I also support the new policy. We often get beverages at the Explorations Cafe, but rarely get anything with them - because there is hardly anything there when we go mid-afternoon. We've never said anything but maybe we will in the future.

Also, next time we're on Princess maybe we should stop by the Wine Bar and see what freebies we can strong arm the crew into giving us. After all, we've read here that other posters have gotten them without buying wine. :rolleyes:

I also read on here (once) that somebody cleaned out most of the snacks in the Neptune because they were having a party. Whenever I'm on a cruise. I'll see a coke can or empty glass on the elevator floor. Yup it was too heavy to make it to a trash can. I saw a half eaten hamburger on greasy wax paper outside of someone's cabin door once.

Who are these people? Who raised them?

Nobody, and therein lies the problem.

Many of us who understand the point - you don't hog all the cookies - also had parents who devoted considerable time and energy into saying "No" regularly, and reminding us of the need to share, speak quietly, chew with our mouths closed, say "please, thank you, I'm sorry, excuse me," and generally behave like civilized people.

You really see it all when you cruise, though.

I find someone walking into a private party to take food very strange. To me that's just bad manners. If you think that fine, then so be it. Frankly, I've never been that hungry on a cruise.

I have never felt that there wasn't enough food to eat on a cruise!!!!

There's enough food. It's just not available at convenient hours. If we eat a late breakfast and then are looking for something in mid- or late afternoon to tide us over until our late dinner, there's not much available on HAL.

And it's a silly notion that I can't get a cookie from the Explorations Cafe without a purchase. So I'm sitting in the Crow's Nest reading or watching the scenery. I feel like a cookie--and BTW, I don't drink coffee. So I'm to walk to the Lido? And I'm a walker--it's not the exercise, it's the principle of the thing.

What's so crazy about thinking that the ship's staff should ensure the snacks are replenished throughout the day?

Calling it a "Cafe" is a misnomer anyway. It's not an eatery. It's a coffee bar in the middle of the library/internet center.

I agree. There's a Starbucks "Café" at the airport. Apparently "coffee stand with some scones across from a magazine stand" won't fit on the sign. ;)

Are we certain that this is an honest to goodness policy change? It's entirely possible that it's a way to get an annoying, complaining passenger on a particular voyage to shut up.

Explorations Cafe Employee: "There's a gentleman here who is upset that we're out of pistachio macaroons to go with his $2 coffee."

Manager: "Think a little sign might shut him up?"

Employee: "Couldn't hurt."

Manager: "OK. Sign it is."

Second Customer: "I would like some cookies. I cannot possibly travel the (one to five) decks to the Lido. Hand them over. I have a Cruise Critic login and I am not afraid to use it."

Are we certain that this is an honest to goodness policy change? It's entirely possible that it's a way to get an annoying, complaining passenger on a particular voyage to shut up.

Explorations Cafe Employee: "There's a gentleman here who is upset that we're out of pistachio macaroons to go with his $2 coffee."

Manager: "Think a little sign might shut him up?"

Employee: "Couldn't hurt."

Manager: "OK. Sign it is."

Second Customer: "I would like some cookies. I cannot possibly travel the (one to five) decks to the Lido. Hand them over. I have a Cruise Critic login and I am not afraid to use it."

Manager- Want to have a little fun?

Employee- How?

Manager- Just put these ex-lax cookies out I just made.

While reading posts on Cruise Critic, I learned that the treats in the display case at the Explorations Café were complimentary and that you did NOT have to buy a beverage to ask for one.

That changed on our cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam last week. Since I had the Signature Beverage Package, I was buying a latte or two every day -- and going back again later for my husband. Once in a while I would ask for a cookie, etc. with my "purchase".

One day I was waiting for my coffee and noticed a sign on the display case. It said "Complimentary Treats with Any Coffee Purchase". !!!

I asked the staff member when this had changed and he said that they had gotten a complaint the day before, so they brought out the sign. The complaint:

A guest who was purchasing coffee was upset that the treats she wanted were gone because guests who were not making purchases were taking all the treats! So .......... do not count on getting free treats at Explorations Café without making a purchase.

That isn't new. when I was on the Zaandam 2 years ago that was their policy. I don't drink coffee so I didn't get any. I wasn't going to buy a hot chocolate to get a pastry.