Bottle of Port? Plus a Houston airport transfer question.

jpisme123

Thank you in advance for your help!

1. If I bring a bottle of port, either as my free bottle or an extra subject to corkage, will this be okay? Is there an 'alcohol percentage requirement'? If this is not permitted, will the bottle be tossed out? Nothing better than a glass of port and room service dessert on the balcony of a cruise ship!

2. We are arriving in Houston the night before our cruise and returning to IAH to take the Princess shuttle to the cruise terminal. We have given our flight information to Princess. My understanding is that some people receive instructions from Princess on the time to catch their shuttle, but we did not. I presume this is normal for people arriving the day before? Any advice on when to show back up at baggage claim?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know why Port would be banned. I have seen people bring it on board. Your allowed two bottles of wine then you pay the cookage fee.

I have no idea about your second question. I have only taken a ship's shuttle one time and that was from the ship.

Comments such as these are what have me worried:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45433742

I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere on what you may bring.

The policy says "Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted." It says nothing about fortified wines. I think most people think of port as wine and not a liguor or spirit." Even sherry is right on the line, but I don't think is crosses it acording to the spirit of the policy. I guess a call to Princess will clear up their understanding of their policy.

1. If I bring a bottle of port, either as my free bottle or an extra subject to corkage, will this be okay?

Here is one first-hand account:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43406651&postcount=20

And several second hand threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2071314

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2120025

If you have a problem, just tell them that several posters on

cruise critic told you it would be ok.

Here is one first-hand account:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43406651&postcount=20

And several second hand threads:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2071314

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2120025

If you have a problem, just tell them that several posters on

cruise critic told you it would be ok.

Thank you for this! I think I may call Princess. If they will confirm that my port is permissible, I may try to get them to confirm in an email to me (that I will bring with me, of course).

Thank you for this! I think I may call Princess. If they will confirm that my port is permissible, I may try to get them to confirm in an email to me (that I will bring with me, of course).

Personally, I would try and bring something that is acceptable.

If security discarded my port at embarcation, it would make me

cranky, and taint the entire cruise.

I think I may call Princess. If they will confirm that my port is permissible, I may try to get them to confirm in an email to me (that I will bring with me, of course).

I would not count on an accurate answer if you call. If you call more then once you will most likely get a different answer. If you could get them to send you all the answers you could pick which one to take with you. ;)

It is 1 bottle of "wine" or "champagne" per person upon embarkation. There is an imposed corkage fee if opened in a dining room.We take 2 bottles of champagne 1 for each sail away,taking the ice bucket from our stateroom out to one of the outside bars where we enjoy the champagne during sail away.I believe port is within the wine category so no problem!

I would not count on an accurate answer if you call. If you call more then once you will most likely get a different answer. If you could get them to send you all the answers you could pick which one to take with you. ;)

The most accurate answer so far.

Mike:)

It is 1 bottle of "wine" or "champagne" per person upon embarkation. There is an imposed corkage fee if opened in a dining room.We take 2 bottles of champagne 1 for each sail away,taking the ice bucket from our stateroom out to one of the outside bars where we enjoy the champagne during sail away.I believe port is within the wine category so no problem!

It is within the wine family only if you ignore the added brandy which fortifies it. The city i sold wine in when I lived in TX had a definition of wine being 15% or lower ABV. Port is definitely above that range so roll the dice if you want to try to get it on, but know that port bottles are not ordinary looking wine bottles so it will draw some attention at the minimum. Worst case they dispose of it as they do contraband liquor.

Worst case they dispose of it as they do contraband liquor.

I guess this is the preference if my only two options were toss the port or be banned from the cruise! Disposal is not an option I would be happy with, so I'm prepared to leave the bottle at home to avoid the risk (since it appears there is one).

Related question. Anyone know if one can buy bottles of port on board? (Emerald)

You could always buy the port in the duty free shops once in forgien ports, then just forget to go to the turn your booze in table. once I bought two bottles of rum and just turned in one to the"booze table". Decoy Bottle!They don't secure your bags

1. If I bring a bottle of port, either as my free bottle or an extra subject to corkage, will this be okay? Is there an 'alcohol percentage requirement'? If this is not permitted, will the bottle be tossed out? Nothing better than a glass of port and room service dessert on the balcony of a cruise ship!

2. We are arriving in Houston the night before our cruise and returning to IAH to take the Princess shuttle to the cruise terminal. We have given our flight information to Princess. My understanding is that some people receive instructions from Princess on the time to catch their shuttle, but we did not. I presume this is normal for people arriving the day before? Any advice on when to show back up at baggage claim?

Having embarked at this port in December and January. Returned last Sunday. I can address both your questions with my experience. In Dec. we did our own transfer, Jan, 25 sailing everything with princess.

Regarding wine....precentage don't know....... But one thing that Houston did which was different than some other ports we had to go to the table with just one bottle and then they listed it with our room number. They would not give me a straight answer why.

Tranfer. We booked air with princess and no instructions were given to us either but I called and was told around 10am terminal C and those with transfers only 11:30. We arrived at terminal C at 6am, Princess reps arrived around 7am and set up a table. Around 8am they began distributing boarding cards with numbers. We received 1&2. Speaking to a rep we found out that the first bus comes to terminal C at around 9:30. That is if all goes well with disembarkation, same bus used.

So as people began gathering we found out some had come over from the hotel to get on the first bus. I also asked the rep if they would take walk ups, she said absolutely. That day 454 people had reserved transfers to the ship.

Around 8:30 our luggage was loaded on a truck to take to the port. At 9:20 a bus came we were told those that had number 1-33 should board, that was everyone there that morning so far. Since the bus was not full we proceeded to the hotel to PU other pax....then onward to the ship.

Pretty much princess is picking up from the ship and dropping off at the airport through out the morning. The last pickups coincide with the drop off at 1pm of pax that did the Houston tours.

So from what I understand you could arrive at the terminal before 11:30 with just a transfer and get on any bus that has space. However, if alot of princess air people are there you might have to wait. It sounded like no one was really given priority. They just want to fill the bus an give the cards out to regulate the boarding. So for example when we went to the hotel there were 15 available seats those holding card 1-15 came out.

Edited by land lover

• 3 weeks later...
Having embarked at this port in December and January. Returned last Sunday. I can address both your questions with my experience. In Dec. we did our own transfer, Jan, 25 sailing everything with princess.

Regarding wine....precentage don't know....... But one thing that Houston did which was different than some other ports we had to go to the table with just one bottle and then they listed it with our room number. They would not give me a straight answer why.

Tranfer. We booked air with princess and no instructions were given to us either but I called and was told around 10am terminal C and those with transfers only 11:30. We arrived at terminal C at 6am, Princess reps arrived around 7am and set up a table. Around 8am they began distributing boarding cards with numbers. We received 1&2. Speaking to a rep we found out that the first bus comes to terminal C at around 9:30. That is if all goes well with disembarkation, same bus used.

So as people began gathering we found out some had come over from the hotel to get on the first bus. I also asked the rep if they would take walk ups, she said absolutely. That day 454 people had reserved transfers to the ship.

Around 8:30 our luggage was loaded on a truck to take to the port. At 9:20 a bus came we were told those that had number 1-33 should board, that was everyone there that morning so far. Since the bus was not full we proceeded to the hotel to PU other pax....then onward to the ship.

Pretty much princess is picking up from the ship and dropping off at the airport through out the morning. The last pickups coincide with the drop off at 1pm of pax that did the Houston tours.

So from what I understand you could arrive at the terminal before 11:30 with just a transfer and get on any bus that has space. However, if alot of princess air people are there you might have to wait. It sounded like no one was really given priority. They just want to fill the bus an give the cards out to regulate the boarding. So for example when we went to the hotel there were 15 available seats those holding card 1-15 came out.

This advice was absolutely correct. We didn't bother going over until 10 am, but they had clearly been putting passengers on buses for hours. We were assigned numbers 270-274. Sometimes an empty bus would pull up and would take many passengers, but sometimes the bus would be nearly full with room for only 10 or so. We assumed the buses stopped at the airport hotel first.

I must have missed this post somehow. I have personal experience with port as well. We almost always bring a bottle on board with us. We never had a problem with it until last Nov 22nd, 2014 on the Ruby when at the wine table they were insistent they had to charge corkage for the Port instead of one of the wine bottles we would be taking to the dining room. When surprised, I asked to have the corkage charged for one of the bottles we would take to the dining room, they pointed to a printout with various items on it and said they had to charge the corkage for port irregardless. I couldn't read the papers. I said ok, they made notes but no charge showed up on our bill for any of our 3 bottles. It must have gotten lost.

I just discussed this with my husband. In future we will still take it but be prepared to have it confiscated. Not the end of the world really as long as we don't buy the expensive stuff. We will stick to the small bottles though since we almost never finish it either.

Sometimes an empty bus would pull up and would take many passengers, but sometimes the bus would be nearly full with room for only 10 or so. We assumed the buses stopped at the airport hotel first.

Which terminal were you in (A,B,C,D)?

I doubt more than one or two buses would get filled with passengers from the hotel. More likely they filled up at other terminals on the way to yours.