meals with a 1 year old

mushy21

We are cruising next month with our 2 children. My youngest will be 13 months. I'm trying to think of what to bring to help us get through the long meals. For my 6 year old we will have games and coloring packs. I can't think of what to bring the baby. She doesn't like to sit in her high chair even with food she's trying to stand up. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I brought little toys from Babies R Us that clip to the high chair (they sell links/chains and then you attach the toy to that). That way I also wasn't bending over every time one of them threw it on the ground. They have little padded photo books that you put your own pictures in, or all kinds of other little noiseless toys to play with (I would change them out every day). A pack of Post-its (they love to pull it off the pad and stick it) are usually a winner too.

Best,

Mia

There is a lot going on in the dining room....it's certainly not like at home! Bring whatever quiet toys she might like...and the wait staff will do their best to hurry things along for you!

I think the dining room is MUCH easier than a buffet...since you're served, but some will do the buffet anyway....and let her run around!

We are cruising next month with our 2 children. My youngest will be 13 months. I'm trying to think of what to bring to help us get through the long meals. For my 6 year old we will have games and coloring packs. I can't think of what to bring the baby. She doesn't like to sit in her high chair even with food she's trying to stand up. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Snag a box of cheerios from the breakfast buffet or of tear up the rolls into her size pices. Does she like electronic things....like almost all kids? Your iphone or droid on airplane mode is a pretty good entertainer too.

Ditto the sleep suggestion.

When our child was that age we did late dining and would rock/stroll him to sleep just before dinner. Put down the shade and cover him with a blanket.

Meals were a piece of cake!

DS was 10 months when we cruised last month. He ate a LOT of cheerios and fruit because feeding him was the easiest way to keep him quiet. We also took turns getting up and walking with him when needed. We did most breakfasts and lunches in the buffet. I wore him in the Ergo while I got my food, then we put him in a high chair when we sat down to eat. He did sleep (in the Ergo -- he definitely does not sleep in his stroller) through one lunch, but that's it. He is not entertained very long by toys when he is confined to a seat, and he is more interested in trying to eat phones and iPads than watching things on them :)

We brought our very active son on a few cruises around 1 years old. Regardless of his normal nap schedule, naps were inevitably short on a vacation. So we were able to nap him again during dinner. I recommend one person (for us, grandma), put the baby to sleep in a stroller while the rest head down to dinner. I ordered everything for Gramdma in advance with our own orders, and Grandma always came in late with the sleeping baby, to her food (usually just the appetizers) waiting at the table. This way, no one is held up and we all enjoyed our meals in peace...until he woke up, then we gave him his own meal, also ordered in advance! :) (FYI, We were at a table for just our family, early seating.) Hope that helps.

Edited by caribbean1004

We have cruised when each of our boys were 14 months old. We had a new inexpensive toy at each meal. We also had grandparents which was even more helpful. My husband I also knew that we would be taking turns going for walks when necessary.

I would highly recommend getting a table just for yourselves. This way, you can sit down, order and eat at your own pace. If you are sitting with others, you will not be served until everyone is seated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The strategy we used at that age was to ask for everything to be delivered at the same time (appetizers and mains). Helped speed up the meal somewhat, though obviously you're giving up a bit of dining enjoyment.

One thing that drives me insane is when you're dining out and they rush the kids' meal out - long before your own arrives. So they are generally finished as you are getting started. Recipe. For. Disaster.

Thank you everyone! This helps a lot. I had my husband make sure we get a table to ourselves. I foresee a lot of walking around and a lot of cheerios! She won't sleep anywhere except for in bed. Not even when I wear her, which I do a ton.

• 1 month later...

When our son was around that age, we brought along an iPad for him to watch videos and do apps. (There are some good Disney storybook and puzzle apps and a fun Sesame Street Elmo app). The iPad is surprisingly intuitive for young children. We also brought along a portable dvd player. Even with the volume off or turned very low on these devices, he was entertained long enough to get through the main course.

Also, we found it worked best for us to have the waiters bring out his meal as soon as possible and not wait for us to eat our appetizers before getting served his meal with the main course. That way, he could eat his meal while we had appetizers and then play on the iPad or watch a video while we ate or meal.

We were rarely fortunate enough to make it through the whole meal before he got antsy and wanted to leave, so we would typically get the wait staff to pack up dessert to go.

Thank you everyone! This helps a lot. I had my husband make sure we get a table to ourselves. I foresee a lot of walking around and a lot of cheerios! She won't sleep anywhere except for in bed. Not even when I wear her, which I do a ton.

I would really consider eating at the buffet or room service since you are saying she won't sleep or be calm.