Problem crediting air miles?

TedC

I cruise on Regent and get "free"air but upgrade to Biz Class. BUT it seems I can't get any United miles - even paying extra to deviate to fly United!

\

Anyone have a problem like that?

I don't use regent air, but my understanding is that if you do, the ticket may or may not be eligible for mileage accrual, depending on what fare class it is issued in. This is true for even business class. There are certain fare classes that do not earn you miles at all. These are often the ones used by cruise lines. So you need to know your fare class and check it out in advance if earning miles if important to you.

I don't use regent air, but my understanding is that if you do, the ticket may or may not be eligible for mileage accrual, depending on what fare class it is issued in. This is true for even business class. There are certain fare classes that do not earn you miles at all. These are often the ones used by cruise lines. So you need to know your fare class and check it out in advance if earning miles if important to you.

Adding to Rachel, look at the code letter on the booked ticket. If it is a F, J or Y it is a full fare ticket and should earn miles. However other "discount codes" such a E, H, L, or Z will not product air miles.

Here is a link to a site that has the class code info. http://www.flyerguide.com/Main_Page

J

Adding to Rachel, look at the code letter on the booked ticket. If it is a F, J or Y it is a full fare ticket and should earn miles. However other "discount codes" such a E, H, L, or Z will not product air miles.

Here is a link to a site that has the class code info. http://www.flyerguide.com/Main_Page

J

While it is true that F, J, or Y will almost always earn miles, it is NOT true that in all cases other "discount codes" will not earn miles. Each airline awards miles according to their own specific policy and many "discount codes" do earn miles although in some cases fewer than full fare codes.

Many airlines have charts explaining the earning of miles on their web page and you can always phone reservations and simply ask. Not good to generalize about a varying situation as we NEVER buy a full fare ticket and have NEVER not received miles for tickets we paid for. And I have close to a million Frequent Flyer Miles.

Simply ask Regent Air what the fare class is that they have quoted for your deviation or for an included flight and then check with the airline in question before accepting the deviation or included flights.

I'm surprised that OP was able to upgrade to Business using mileage. We were specifically told that was not possible, as Regent books the air under special "class" rules that don't allow upgrades. At least not on the airline we were using (USAir). For this very reason, we now do our Business Upgrades through Regent air department, and pay the extra fees.

I'm surprised that OP was able to upgrade to Business using mileage. We were specifically told that was not possible, as Regent books the air under special "class" rules that don't allow upgrades. At least not on the airline we were using (USAir). For this very reason, we now do our Business Upgrades through Regent air department, and pay the extra fees.

Nanook, I think you read the OP's post incorrectly. She booked and used included Regent air and "paid" Regent for biz upgrade.

She now wants air-miles credit from the airline for the purchase.

j