Deployment Schedule 2016-2017. Let the guessing begin

Cruzin-K

Was the port of Nanaimo that they mentioned or did they have another port that could handle Mariner as well?

Victoria is a different port than Nanaimo. I believe Nanaimo is a tender port.

With regard to a distant foreign port, Explorer could do what Rhapsody has been doing from Hawaii, i.e. make the first Alaska run from Canada to Seattle, then the rest are Seattle round trips.

In other words:

Cruise 1: Los Angeles to Victoria (or Vancouver if possible)

Cruise 2: Victoria to Alaska to Seattle.

Cruise 3 and more: Seattle round trips to Alaska.

It is too tall to fit under Lions Gate Bridge. I'm not sure how Solstice does it, but that would mean Solstice would also be able to go through the 'new' canal when it is completed.

Ok. It sounds like an issue that might be solved in the current dry dock and it will then only help them for future deployment.

With regard to a distant foreign port, Explorer could do what Rhapsody has been doing from Hawaii, i.e. make the first Alaska run from Canada to Seattle, then the rest are Seattle round trips.

In other words:

Thanks. I just noticed that Nanaimo is the port Celebrity chose in an article and wondered why as I thought Victoria had it's own. I thought maybe Voyager class could not fit there as well or something.

At least this time we do not have long to wait. I guess these itineraries are out in just 10 days.

In this case they might come in from Hawaii depending what they do with the repositioning cruise. If they come in from Singapore without HI, I guess is non-issue.

It doesn't say. I might have a look if the TA is released. Just hope it has some port stops instead of straight across

Sent from my C6903 using Forums mobile app

Madflyer posted this as the possible Harmony TA itinerary -

23 Oct Barcelona

24 Oct Palma de Mallorca

25 Oct Cartagena, Spain

26 Oct to 2 November at sea

3 November arrival at Port Everglades

In other words:

Are we talking about b2b cruises? If not, disregard this post.

If Explorer is coming from Hawaii to Seattle, but their first Alaska run is out of Vancouver, folks could not do a b2b (Hawaii-Vancouver-Seattle) because they are boarding in one US port and would be disembarking in another US port.

If they were coming from Hawaii direct to Seattle you couldn't combine Hawaii and Alaska together for a b2b because you are boarding in Honolulu and disembarking in Seattle.

Edited by cruisenfever

Hi Bob.

No Canadian port is distant foreign port according to the PVSA. Alaska cruises from Seattle are round trip, so any foreign port will do (closed loop to same city start-finish). One way trips between US and Canadian ports are outside the PVSA.

No Mexican port is a distant foreign port either.

The problem with Explorer is that she can't repo from Seattle to LA unless she visits Ensenada I believe.

Not just visit, but end the cruise there; every passenger would have to get off and take the buses back to the US (not a very large airport in Ensenada).

My guess is that the costal cruises would be round-trip from Seattle and might go as far south as San Diego (maybe Ensenada if the trip doesn't include a Canadian port), as doing round trips out of L.A. or San Diego would suggest starting a west-bound trans-pacific from Ensenada.

I could also see, though, having the coastals between Victoria and L.A. or San Diego (or an endpoint in Vancouver, should the funnels be modified during dry dock to allow passing under the Lions Gate Bridge). Then the trans-pacific starts from Victoria (or the aforementioned Vancouver)

Originally Posted by clarea View Post

In other words:

Thanks. I just noticed that Nanaimo is the port Celebrity chose in an article and wondered why as I thought Victoria had it's own. I thought maybe Voyager class could not fit there as well or something.

Nanaimo is the very worst port (well, tied with Astoria) in the West Coast. I have no clue why any cruise ship would stop there. Yep, it's tender.

If no retractable funnel installed on Explorer, Bob is 100% correct in saying that the TP from Hawaii to British Columbia could end in Victoria, with the real issue being the infrastructure of being able to disembark and embark 3100 people in Victoria... I don't think that can be done... besides the transportation issues and flights in and out of Victoria airport. I think it would be waaaaaay cheaper overall and for logistical reasons for RCL to have Explorer modified to fit under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

I guess there's nothing stopping Explorer from doing her TP from Hawaii to LA (via Ensenada). And then doing a coastal up from LA to Seattle via Victoria?

If Explorer is coming from Hawaii to Seattle, but their first Alaska run is out of Vancouver, folks could not do a b2b (Hawaii-Vancouver-Seattle) because they are boarding in one US port and would be disembarking in another US port.

If they were coming from Hawaii direct to Seattle you couldn't combine Hawaii and Alaska together for a b2b because you are boarding in Honolulu and disembarking in Seattle.

Ok. That is a good point. That could be a good argument for not changing her current deployment to Singapore and the do

1.Singapore to Vancouver/Victoria

2. Vancouver/Victoria to Seattle

That said, they have had this limit on B2B on the Radiance and Rhapsody sailings and might do it again and somewhat alter the current schedule to go through Hawaii.

Indeed!

The easiest way to solve PVSA issues for the line is that everyone gets off in Victoria, and the ship sails empty to Seattle (assuming this actually is the port used for the Alaska sailings). Folks interested in continuing on an Alaska cruise would take a different way from Victoria to Seattle to continue.

I can not understand how Explorer could not call on Vancouver. I guess we will know within a couple of weeks and it may turn out to be the case.

Yes, Explorer is 6 ft or 2.2 m wider than Solstice, but when these things come up it is impossible to know without being a 'complete' expert.

Just the fact that the Celebrity Solstice calls on Vancouver would seem to indicate that Explorer would be able to.

Class and type: Solstice-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 121,878 GT[1]

82,363 NT[1]

9,500 DWT[1]

Length: 1,033 ft (314.86 m)

Beam: 121 ft (36.88 m)

Draft: 27 ft (8.23 m)

Class and type: Voyager-class cruise ship

Tonnage: 137,308 GT

105,034 NT

10.937 DWT

Length: 311 m (1,020 ft)

Beam: 38.6 m (127 ft) - Waterline[3]

48 m (157 ft) - Max[3]

Draught: 8.3 m (27 ft)

When we did the Pacific Coastal cruise (round trip LA) on Mariner, we visited Victoria to satisfy the requirements of the PVSA.

We visited Victoria because Mariner could not fit under the bridge in Vancouver.

I presume that Explorer, being the same class of ship, has the same issues, which most likely would not change in dry dock. That is probably why it is home porting in Seattle for the Alaska season.

The Coastal cruises for fall 2015 stop in Ensenada, apparently meeting the PVSA requirement.

Edited by travelgoddess1

23 Oct Barcelona

24 Oct Palma de Mallorca

25 Oct Cartagena, Spain

That sounds good. Only the prices to contend with. That would give us a few days in Fort Lauderdale. Maybe even a 3 or 4 nighter

3 in September from LAX according to the press release.

Fremantle to Singapore cruise arriving 9 May 2016 still on sale. So no time to please the West Coast USA people on the way to Seattle.

Love having a bigger ship on our side.:)

We are booked on ExOS from Sydney and Perth, so will see how that goes. RCL still showing them on their web site, I was checking yesterday.

We were going to cancel them anyway, but interesting to see where she will go......

Too Bad Vancouver is out.:( Unless EOS can get squished down small and get under the Lion's Gate Bridge....we have gone to Victoria twice and on Jewel coming up. Been to Nanaimo as well on a ship, I don't remember a tender.... Buy some Nanaimo Bars, soooo yummy!!!!

The Coastal cruises for fall 2015 stop in Ensenada, apparently meeting the PVSA requirement.

If she does the coastal's as a round-trip out of Seattle, she could visit Victoria to comply (will likely do this for the Alaska cruises), or go all the way to Mexico and fully end the cruise. But a one-way from Seattle to L.A. or S.D. will still be in violation if she only visits Ensenada.

23 Oct Barcelona

24 Oct Palma de Mallorca

25 Oct Cartagena, Spain

Do you have a link to a deck plan for Harmony or is it the same as oasis

Do you have a link to a deck plan for Harmony or is it the same as oasis

No deck plans yet for Harmony. There will be quite a few differences from her sisters in her deck plans I would guess mainly because she won't have the secret balconies and then there will be things like Bionic Bar & the waterslides ..oh and Starbucks is being moved out onto the Boardwalk.

Hopefully soon her deck plans will be available...well I would hope before booking opens..but then again :rolleyes:..well who knows :D

Is RC ever going to resume British Isles cruises? I think the last time RC had a ship in the British Isles was 2012 or 2013. We had planned to take a British Isles cruise in 2014, but wound up in the Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom.

I wouldn't mind sailing on Celebrity, but Celebrity is pricey. All of the British Isles cruises are 12 or 14 nights, which eats into vacation days. And you can't earn C&A points on Celebrity.

Love having a bigger ship on our side.:)

We are booked on ExOS from Sydney and Perth, so will see how that goes. RCL still showing them on their web site, I was checking yesterday.

We were going to cancel them anyway, but interesting to see where she will go......

Too Bad Vancouver is out.:( Unless EOS can get squished down small and get under the Lion's Gate Bridge....we have gone to Victoria twice and on Jewel coming up. Been to Nanaimo as well on a ship, I don't remember a tender.... Buy some Nanaimo Bars, soooo yummy!!!!

Don't cancel yet. If they cancel the cruise, they will compensate you!

Is RC ever going to resume British Isles cruises? I think the last time RC had a ship in the British Isles was 2012 or 2013. We had planned to take a British Isles cruise in 2014, but wound up in the Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom.

I wouldn't mind sailing on Celebrity, but Celebrity is pricey. All of the British Isles cruises are 12 or 14 nights, which eats into vacation days. And you can't earn C&A points on Celebrity.

I asked that last year in an email. Never had a reply.

Princess is cruising full and this year are sending Royal Princess.

12 night round trip from Southampton seems to be popular.

Msc also do a part British Isles from Hamburg.

No deck plans yet for Harmony. There will be quite a few differences from her sisters in her deck plans I would guess mainly because she won't have the secret balconies and then there will be things like Bionic Bar & the waterslides ..oh and Starbucks is being moved out onto the Boardwalk.

Hopefully soon her deck plans will be available...well I would hope before booking opens..but then again :rolleyes:..well who knows :D

I'll keep a look out for the plans. Price might determine where we live on the ship though

I think it would be waaaaaay cheaper overall and for logistical reasons for RCL to have Explorer modified to fit under the Lion's Gate Bridge.

Looking ahead, it's not impossible for Explorer and her sisters one day to be considered for a Tampa, Baltimore and other ports with bridge restrictions. The Vision class ships cover several of those now and they will be gone in a few years.

Rick

Looking ahead, it's not impossible for Explorer and her sisters one day to be considered for a Tampa, Baltimore and other ports with bridge restrictions. The Vision class ships cover several of those now and they will be gone in a few years.

Rick

I don't think the Voyager class can be modified enough to fit into those ports from an air-draft (height) standpoint. I think RCCL is eventually going to have to either build some more medium sized ships or abandon these ports completely. Another option would be to work with the various governmental agencies to build new cruise facilities that would allow larger ships and not have to pass under these bridges. I don't think rebuilding bridges for cruise ship traffic is economically viable.