Vowtowow sale?????

Here we go again with the vow to wow sale???? They jack up the price of the first person and then act like the second person gets 1/2 off!!!! Please don t drink the kool-aid!!! The only thing your getting is a royal screwing!!!! Stop all these so called sales!!! Put the price and if we want it we ll buy it!!! I have a cruise i paid $1800.00 for i ll pay for two people if you give me $3600.00 and the second person pay me $1800.00 for a total of $5400.00 but remember i gave you 1/2 off the second person!!!! Any takers????

Here we go again with the vow to wow sale???? They jack up the price of the first person and then act like the second person gets 1/2 off!!!! Please don t drink the kool-aid!!! The only thing your getting is a royal screwing!!!! Stop all these so called sales!!! Put the price and if we want it we ll buy it!!! I have a cruise i paid $1800.00 for i ll pay for two people if you give me $3600.00 and the second person pay me $1800.00 for a total of $5400.00 but remember i gave you 1/2 off the second person!!!! Any takers????

We don't buy it..............but it must work as it is being offered again and again. The new cruisers must bite on it - it sounds like a deal but as always..........Buyers Beware!!!!!! All of RCCL's prices are going up (although fuel is way down) - and BOGO is a great disguise!!!!!

It's very effective. I've had a few family members and friends book w/ RCL and mention to me (in a positive fashion) of BOGHO pricing. I send them the link to a site that monitors the pricing and shows the trend line of pricing so they can get an idea of what to look for and how they might qualify for a better rate in their future.

It's very effective. I've had a few family members and friends book w/ RCL and mention to me (in a positive fashion) of BOGHO pricing. I send them the link to a site that monitors the pricing and shows the trend line of pricing so they can get an idea of what to look for and how they might qualify for a better rate in their future.

Would you happen to have a link to that site? I'd like to bookmark that.

It's terrible. Priced a cruise on oasis for July and they want 18k for an owners suite, yes $18,000,00. We paid less than 1/3rd of that last year. I can't imagine anyone paying that price for a 7 day eastern. There were 5 cabins left at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by CaribSailor

It's terrible. Priced a cruise on oasis for July and they want 18k for an owners suite, yes $18,000,00. We paid less than 1/3rd of that last year. I can't imagine anyone paying that price for a 7 day eastern. There were 5 cabins left at that price.

I'd have to have so much money that I didn't know what to do with it before I spent 18K to go to Nassau.

When pricing out cruises and deals for our upcoming cruise in May I turned to Carnival first (as we have experience there) and for pretty much the same thing (3-4 day cruise, oceanview room to the bahamas) Carnival was about $100 more (total for two people) and didn't offer any kind of OBC. So I saved money AND got $100 in OBC by booking through this sale with RCI. I'm pretty okay with the sale as it is.

Would I like to pay even less? Absolutely. But I'm comfortable with the price I found for the time I was able to cruise, so why whine about it? In an industry like this prices will never be consistent and there will be times of the year when it is cheapest to sail and also other times when it is cheapest to buy. Right now a lot of people are getting tax refunds in the US, so the prices will be going up some in order to maximize profit on those consumers who will pay whatever price there is just to be able to go on vacation with their tax refund! It just is what it is. Not happy with the price? Don't book. Seems pretty simple to me.

a year ago while on Navigator of the Seas we booked 7 night 2/22-3/1/15. The price for balcony cabin was 929.00 PP. In early summer they came out with BOGO and price dropped to 929.00 first person and 464.00 second person, that was an awesome deal, somewhere along the way they started this overpricing the first person to get BOGO. We won't fall for this nonsense and have booked a Celebrity cruise for 2016 which was truly on sale with 123GO. They will continue with this pricing until people stop booking it.

I hate the sales as well. However, if you look at what happened with JC Pennys and compare them to Kohls you will see what RCCL is doing. JC Pennys switched to an every day low price with no sales policy several years ago and it pushed them to the edge of bankruptcy. It is one of the biggest business errors of the past decade and ranks up with New Coke for all time blunders. In comparison, Kohls jacks the prices up on everything and then marks them down 30-50% off on never ending sales and people flock there in droves. Kohls has been booming with this strategy for several decades. A "sale" triggers people into believing they are getting a deal even if they are not. Those two stores are not an apple to apple comparison to RCCL, but you get the idea. RCCL stock has been booming for several years with this gimmick pricing. Add in people now eagerly pay $40 to eat in a restaurant at dinner for a meal only marginally better than they would pay $0 for in the dining room and you can see why RCCL stock has gone from $6 to $75 a share in the past six years. RCCL is swimming in cash as people are buying up what they are selling. It is what it is and it will not be changing anytime soon. Sure would be nice if they took a few millions of those profits and fixed the darn website though. :(

It's a bit silly and a marketing strategy for RCL. And the "sale" seems to go on and on. But basically it comes down to what you expect and will pay for a cruise (which also varies by cabin type). For us, there's no way we would pay for a JS (almost 7K) but I feel we did ok for a PR room. But it is "wow" for us since it's $2000 less for a comparable cruise on DCL (and Canadian dollars for us which is a big deal with the dollar so bad and volatile). I also notice some specific categories marked with the yellow triangle "deal" and wonder what the original price was that it is such a deal.

What they need to do is end the price drop guaranty, hold deposits for cancelling, and then they can have a sale that means something. Until then, how can they offer lower prices without adjusting all the previous pricing. :confused:

I hate the sales as well. However, if you look at what happened with JC Pennys and compare them to Kohls you will see what RCCL is doing. JC Pennys switched to an every day low price with no sales policy several years ago and it pushed them to the edge of bankruptcy. It is one of the biggest business errors of the past decade and ranks up with New Coke for all time blunders. In comparison, Kohls jacks the prices up on everything and then marks them down 30-50% off on never ending sales and people flock there in droves. Kohls has been booming with this strategy for several decades. A "sale" triggers people into believing they are getting a deal even if they are not. Those two stores are not an apple to apple comparison to RCCL, but you get the idea. RCCL stock has been booming for several years with this gimmick pricing. Add in people now eagerly pay $40 to eat in a restaurant at dinner for a meal only marginally better than they would pay $0 for in the dining room and you can see why RCCL stock has gone from $6 to $75 a share in the past six years. RCCL is swimming in cash as people are buying up what they are selling. It is what it is and it will not be changing anytime soon. Sure would be nice if they took a few millions of those profits and fixed the darn website though. :(

Alas you are correct. I used to try to give people the benefit of the doubt and think that they were smart. But your example proves me wrong. People, at least Americans, really are just that dumb. They cannot figure out that a $20 shirt at JCP is a better deal then the same shirt at Kohls for a mark down of $50 to $30. I loved the JCP pricing model but dumb consumers ruined that.

As far as cruise pricing goes, I have a price per person per day amount that I will pay. I just multiply it out and if the total is more than that price, I pass. If it is that price or lower, I book. Simple. No need to worry about a sale or not.

We bought during the "sale" but it was not the sale that got us to buy. We were going anyway. It was no bargain and about the same as our last several cruises. The sale and how they work it is just like a shell game - slight of hand.

No offense to any jewelers but it is like our local jewelry stores. Go in one week and the bracelet is $400. Next week they have a "half off sale" and the same bracelet is priced at $800 with 50% off or $400. It's all a game!

Funny stuff, One would almost think posters just started pricing out cruises yesterday. Really, there have been pricing games for 40 years in cruising.

Even 11 years ago people were whining about pricing on cc and guess what, the stock is at a 25 year high. And for those 11 years ago, the line continues to sail at 104% capacity and for those now the line will still be out front in 2026

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=65872&highlight=royal+caribbean+sales

Funny stuff, One would almost think posters just started pricing out cruises yesterday. Really, there have been pricing games for 40 years in cruising.

Even 11 years ago people were whining about pricing on cc and guess what, the stock is at a 25 year high. And for those 11 years ago, the line continues to sail at 104% capacity and for those now the line will still be out front in 2026

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=65872&highlight=royal+caribbean+sales

Thanks for the trip down memory lane

We just booked on Adventure of the Seas (our first on RCI) for next winter last night. The prices were pretty comparable to what we've paid on Norwegian and Princess in the past when you average them out per person (which is how we figure our cruise prices out....we take our kids who are 3 and 5 with us).

We leave on NCL Epic next Fri and have connecting balconies and paid roughly 2,000$/cabin total ($1789 fare per cabin plus taxes/fees/etc) plus some perks that Costco got us for using them.

When we do AOS next year, we ended up paying 801$ per person for connecting balconies, and each cabin ended up being $1730/cabin, plus 300$ OBC/cabin ($200 from RCI and $100 from Costco).

You can't pay attention to the fare for the first and second person. Just pay attention to the average fare per person...that's a more realistic number. All things being equal, we didn't do so bad for a Southern Itinerary out of SJ.

As far as cruise pricing goes, I have a price per person per day amount that I will pay. I just multiply it out and if the total is more than that price, I pass. If it is that price or lower, I book. Simple. No need to worry about a sale or not.

We use the same strategy.

Wow $18K for an OS that's surprising as I booked an OS for Spring break (leaving in 37 days) and I only paid $6000. In fact that BOGO sale did result in a 50% savings on second person. My brother booked a CLS a couple of months prior and then rebooked when the BOGO sale came out and saved about $3000.

I guess it's all about shopping the price. Personally, I found the BOGO sale worked for us as I wasn't going with him when he first booked as the OS was almost $10,000.

BTW: $18K for and OS, I find that hard to believe! I had priced an Aqua Theater for this last Thanksgiving and it was $18K.

OK, I just looked and there is a sailing in July where an OS is $16,000. That's $10,000 more than what I paid for Spring break. Anybody want to buy my OS for next month?

Edited by jamesr3939

Wow, when I first read this post I thought it was a typo, but sure enough, it's correct. I just did a couple of mock bookings on the two eastern-route Oasis cruises in July, and it's easy to hit that $18k range if you have a 3rd or 4th person in that Owners Suite. Can't believe it's jumped so much. I have an OS on Oasis booked for October (though only for two people), and it was a fourth of that cost.

I haven't booked anything new in awhile, and every time I consider adding another cruise down the road somewhere, I see the current prices and change my mind. The ones I do have coming up over the next 15 months were all booked on the same day, but that was last spring.