Carnival Valor Have New Menu? (Pls say no!)

t1adams

Does anyone know if the Valor will have the new American Famine menu once the ship moves to Port Canaveral at the end of March? We are sailing in early April and I was at least feeling like we were getting a consolation prize of at least keeping our tablecloths and traditional menu unlike the Liberty now has (as they took it from our already booked cruise and are moving it to San Juan). I'm sooo hoping they won't change the menu at that time. We had the new one last spring break on the Glory and were mortified at the obvious cutbacks they made to the quality....it was especially noticed in the meat cuts. No tablecloths and people were acting like they were dining in a school cafeteria. Noise bounces off the hard tables and people just act crazy in that environment. We took friends with us that usually cruise on other lines. We were so embarrassed at the difference from all our wonderful previous spring break cruises "pre-American Famine."

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by t1adams

Does anybody have the 8 day american menu...I only have the four day and I don't like it.

I sailed the 7 night cruise last year. Trust me....adding more days to the menu didn't make it any better.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/AT_AF/glory/western/gloryWestern.htm

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/AT_AF/glory/eastern/gloryEastern.htm

American Table Menus are available on Carnival Glory, Carnival Liberty, Carnival Imagination and Carnival Inspiration

Edited by serene56

We were on the Liberty in October. There's nothing wrong with the American Menus. We ate in the dining room every night. No problems finding something to eat. Table cloths on all tables.

I'm glad you said this. I'm wondering what I'm missing. I was on Liberty last month and the menu was fine.

I don't have a lot of Carnival experience, so I'm sincerely curious to know what the changes are that people don't like.

I'm glad you said this. I'm wondering what I'm missing. I was on Liberty last month and the menu was fine.

I don't have a lot of Carnival experience, so I'm sincerely curious to know what the changes are that people don't like.

Going to try and be as objective as i can:

The quality of the meat was probably the most noticeable. It was very poor quality. Trying to pass off the worst cut of post roast off as a filet mignon when the only thing it has in common was the shape of the meat on the plate. All the "steaks" we're like this. The seafood was fishy and poor quality.

Basically your choice of desserts was pie (which they walk around with and cut you a slice) that had no flavor and was super dry, or the standby CMC. They sometimes had special desserts but again, they'd bring a whole something for the table or cut you a slice right in front of you which felt odd to me. And there was very little to chose from in appetizers. Took away the Caesar. (Romaine is too pricey) They had greek salad which was actually really good! But it was made using nothing but iceberg. The calamari was okay, not great. Now the breads were surprisingly great! They had a cranberry nut bread roll that they'd put a couple in the basket that all hands went for first. Couldn't get them to bring more though. And the flatbread choice was only one kind and it was served every night. But it too was good!

As bored as many of you are of the traditional menu, the dishes made were prepared using quality ingredients. Not the best of the best, but definitely good. Appreciate it while you can. And the choices were larger in appetizers and desserts. And the main menu changes every day. On the AMERICAN one, it stays the same except the "ports of call" entrees. There are I think two of them nightly.

T1adams- You hit the nail right on the head, the quality of the meat IS poor quality absolutely correct! The filet mignon they offer you is not your typical normal filet mignon, I don't know what type of beef it is, but it is nowhere close to other filet mignon I have at home and out in restaurants. I think it may be similar to perhaps short loin, they must slice it thin so it won't be as tough.

The seafood can't be fresh has to be out of a frozen package, probably from another country.

I have to be gluten free, carnival only offers me the gluten free chocolate melting cake which is sort of like a pudding in these days, after eating that two days I want something different, but no dessert for me because they only have one gluten free dessert.

I agree, I also enjoy the greek salad sometimes I order two.

The quality of the meat was probably the most noticeable. It was very poor quality. Trying to pass off the worst cut of post roast off as a filet mignon when the only thing it has in common was the shape of the meat on the plate. All the "steaks" we're like this. The seafood was fishy and poor quality.

Basically your choice of desserts was pie (which they walk around with and cut you a slice) that had no flavor and was super dry, or the standby CMC. They sometimes had special desserts but again, they'd bring a whole something for the table or cut you a slice right in front of you which felt odd to me. And there was very little to chose from in appetizers. Took away the Caesar. (Romaine is too pricey) They had greek salad which was actually really good! But it was made using nothing but iceberg. The calamari was okay, not great. Now the breads were surprisingly great! They had a cranberry nut bread roll that they'd put a couple in the basket that all hands went for first. Couldn't get them to bring more though. And the flatbread choice was only one kind and it was served every night. But it too was good!

As bored as many of you are of the traditional menu, the dishes made were prepared using quality ingredients. Not the best of the best, but definitely good. Appreciate it while you can. And the choices were larger in appetizers and desserts. And the main menu changes every day. On the AMERICAN one, it stays the same except the "ports of call" entrees. There are I think two of them nightly.

Thank you, and I think you succeeded in being objective ;)

I'm pretty sure we had the American menu on Liberty, and yet we had different choices every night. There were some things that were there every night, some "new" choices, and the "Port of Call" choices. And now that you mention it, I do remember the dry pie.

I'll be on the Valor next week, so I'll have the opportunity to compare :D

I wish I could make my greek salad taste as good as theirs (even though I'd never ever use useless iceberg in ANY salad). Of course their seafood is frozen. They'd have to throw a LOT of poles over the edge while we cruise in order to have fresh, hahaha. 😜. But their fish on the traditional menu at least was mild tasting and not so "fishy."

Thank you, and I think you succeeded in being objective ;)

I'm pretty sure we had the American menu on Liberty, and yet we had different choices every night. There were some things that were there every night, some "new" choices, and the "Port of Call" choices. And now that you mention it, I do remember the dry pie.

I'll be on the Valor next week, so I'll have the opportunity to compare :D

If you haven't yet had the traditional, I think you will be relieved. Do try some of their "plain" dishes. Like there's this one I remember that had turkey or chicken (can't remember) with bow tie pasta and green peas in it. I was so surprised at how good it was! And their braised short ribs are really good too! Sometimes just asking the waiter what he thinks is good and/or popular, will help. You'll also love the desserts. ;)

ETA: I almost forgot...the menu in size doesn't cover the whole table either. It's presented neatly in a book (best I recall). It's definitely not as huge in size.

Edited by t1adams

We were on the Liberty in October. There's nothing wrong with the American Menus. We ate in the dining room every night. No problems finding something to eat. Table cloths on all tables.

Same for us in July. I actually quite liked the new menus. They are a welcome change as the old menus were out of date and boring.

We're you on one of the first roll outs for the new menus? We didn't encounter any of this in the Liberty. There are more selections than pie for dessert and I didn't see it served table side...you can order a Cesar salad and there was a nice selection of apps. I agree the filet is not the best, but no more different than any other steak that rests too long. I don't order steak in the MDR for this reason - go to the steakhouse for prime cuts of beef.

Edited by Rena921

To answer OP...

No, there will not be a switch. Valor will keep its current dining menu.

Only things switching right now are the home port/itinerary and the cruise director. Felipe goes to the Liberty when he returns from his break in March.

We're you on one of the first roll outs for the new menus? We didn't encounter any of this in the Liberty. There are more selections than pie for dessert and I didn't see it served table side...you can order a Cesar salad and there was a nice selection of apps. I agree the filet is not the best, but no more different than any other steak that rests too long. I don't order steak in the MDR for this reason - go to the steakhouse for prime cuts of beef.

Here's the problem....if you call a piece of meat "a steak"....and even go to the extent of specifying it as "filet mignon," it's deceiving and a blatant lie to serve anything else but that. THAT is where the problem lies.....Dishonesty. No, I wasn't expecting a steakhouse quality experience, just expecting my food to be what it is called. Hahaha. And

I think you know that their filet isn't a steak that's just been "sitting too long." ;). If you don't know that, then one would think one needs to get out more and experience restaurant dining...and "fine restaurant dining" ISN'T what I'm talking about nor is it necessary to know the difference between a piece of chuck roast and filet mignon. Just any run of the mill restaurant that serves filet or any other steak. And their cheap cuts of meat don't just stop at their "filet." It's all of the proteins. This was noticed most with the menu change. I DO enjoy the steakhouse!!Unfortunately, we can only visit once or twice a cruise due to cost.

Oh and about us being one of the first for the new menu....well, we weren't the last but not the first either. It was five months into it by the time we cruised. I believe that was plenty of time to get the kinks out. So what other desserts were offered to you other than the pies (glad they don't cut tableside anymore!), the WCMC, or the occasional square cake for the table? I have heard they added back or were planning to add back the Bitter and Blanc, and the cold soup appetizers. Did your cruise offer these?

Edited by t1adams

We had the cold soup appetizers on Liberty last month. For desserts there was the melting cake, fruits, cheese plate, pie, and cakes I think. I remember tiramisu one night, and creme brulee. There were definitely a few choices. I would say there were about 5 appetizers and 5 desserts, more or less.

And

I think you know that their filet isn't a steak that's just been "sitting too long." ;). If you don't know that, then one would think one needs to get out more and experience restaurant dining...

There was no need to be snarky. My fine dining experience is extensive and I have been fortunate to dine in many 5 star restaurants all over the Country, Thank you very much. The filet in the MDR at dinner is the same cut as the one served at brunch. I did not say that it was Choice or Prime cuts of meat. I do not order steak in the MDR for that reason as my personal standards are higher than that. Just like I will not order steak in many mid level restaurants on land. Nothing on the ship compares the Steakhouse or Chefs table for food experiences.

I just asked you when you experienced the American table meals to see if you were basing your previous experience in the initial roll out, which apparently you were. They have revamped the menus several times since then.

As far as the desserts, there was popcorn Creme brûlée (actually delicious), a tiramisu, various ice creams, cheese plate, and a few others along with the cakes and WMC.

Bitter & Blanc has been added back to the menus recently as well as other classic favorites including some hot & cold soups, etc.

Oh and they kept the tablecloths.

We did the Imagination and the Miracle in October. We liked the new menus better. They no longer do ANY "for the table" foods. Everything was individual portions.

I can't speak to steak, since I didn't order it, but I (and more importantly my very picky eater dad) found plenty of options every night.

I haven't read all of your posting, but I did catch were you for some reason are under the impression that "fillet mignon" means the quality of the meat. That's simply not true. "Fillet mignon" simple distinguishes the cut of beef....like, where on the steer the meat was cut. It's cut from the tenderloin which is the long muscle under the spine. It's the most unused muscle in their body; hence why it's so tender (that is, if it's real). So it has nothing to do with "prime" or "choice" meat. There's no mistake when you eat fillet mignon you know it's fillet mignon. It doesn't mean it's all great quality filet mignon as some are a bit more textured than others (usually because it comes from the tail instead of the center of the loin), but it's still the same cut of beef and you know it when eating it. And, it's super expensive. In order to be honest, Carnival should really call it "mock fillet mignon.". There's really nothing wrong with that, and I've had some mock fillets that were actually center cut sirloin's that weren't really that bad! however, what they are serving is not even at the level of sirloin. I will try and go back and read the rest of your post when I get some time.

Edited by t1adams

I haven't read all of your posting, but I did catch were you for some reason are under the impression that "fillet mignon" means the quality of the meat. That's simply not true. "Fillet mignon" simple distinguishes the cut of beef....like, where on the steer the meet was cut. It's cut from the tenderloin which is the long muscle under the spine. It's the most unused muscle in their body; hence why it's so tender (that is, if it's real). So it has nothing to do with "prime" poor "choice" meat. There's no mistake when you eat fillet mignon you know it's fillet mignon. It doesn't mean it's all great quality filet mignon on, some are a bit more textured than others, but it's still the same cut of beef. and, it's super expensive. In order to be honest, Carnival should really call it "mock fillet mignon.". There's really nothing wrong with that, and I've had some mock fillets that were actually center cut sirloin's that weren't really that bad! however, what they are serving is not even at the level of sirloin. I will try and go back and read the rest of your post when I get some time.

I do know the difference between cuts of meats. The choice and prime determine the quality of beef. Just as the difference between being grain or grass fed. Grass fed beef is more tender and flavorful and actually better for you. There are also differences between weather or not the stock is Angus, Hereford, Charlois, or even just plain old Holstein or Jersey. It's entirely possible that the filet provided is a lesser quality of beef stock and there is nothing wrong with that.

Don't bother responding as I am done with this convo. Have a fabulous day.

You say here "I agree, it's not the best but NO MORE DIFFERENT THAN STEAK THAT RESTS TOO LONG." That implies that you believe it's filet and that you have at least tried it.

You are obviously a HUGE Carnival cheerleader. Heck I enjoy Carnival too! Just Admit It's NOT a real Filet!!! OMG!!!! Hahaha

Edited by t1adams