Chops Price Increase to $39

cjhbeh

This pretty much mirrors our one experience in Chops on Indy. The manager excused it as "probably a bad lot of meat" and didn't offer any sort of compensation. Really? A bad lot of meat in your premium restaurant??

Perhaps we was referring to the chefs.:eek: But if he was referring to the food, I might ask if he was planning to charge me for being his trash can.

The only specialty restaurant where we have dined has been Chops. We are thinking of changing it up to Giovanni's this time. What's everyone's favorites?

On Navigator we did Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi, Chops was least favorite, favorite was Izumi , we did Giovanni twice once for lunch great food and service both times ( lunch was a bargain I think it was just 15)

Remember, the initial $20 for a meal at Chops was tip only for the waiters. It was meant as a small surcharge to go to the waiters for an upgrade meal over one you already paid for, thus the reason for a non-exorbitant price.

No, I don't remember that. In my recollection, the surcharge for specialty restaurants have always said that they INCLUDE the tip. I don't think it has ever been "tip only."

On Navigator we did Chops, Giovanni's and Izumi, Chops was least favorite, favorite was Izumi , we did Giovanni twice once for lunch great food and service both times ( lunch was a bargain I think it was just 15)

That mimics our experience on Allure in May. Izumi was surprisingly wonderful for the price, as was Giovannis (although I still prefer Portofino), and Chops was an utter disappointment. We thought it was a fluke, but we had the same experience on Enchantment a few weeks ago. It must just be the new normal for Chops.

Either way, there are too many complaints for me to pay 39.00 pp for Chops...

...I enjoyed Chops on Radiance in 2011 and thought it was worth the 25.00 pp. 39.00 pp not so much. I do plan on trying Giovanni's table in April.

Definitely do Giovanni's if you are going to do a specialty on Freedom! After our past couple experiences, I will always pick Giovanni's over Chops. Back when we started dining in Chops, it was a very nice experience for the price. Now, like they've done with the cruises themselves, the prices have slightly risen and the quality has dropped. :roll eyes:

The icing on the cake was the addition of the surcharge steak options on top of the upgrade surcharge you pay to dine in Chops. I mean seriously?!

Yes...But personally after eating way too many in the past few months I will have to pass...LOL

Dont they still have a baked potato? I thought there was such an uproar they brought it back. I don't think it's almost football sized like it use to be but its still offered. While "tater tot" sounds lame for what's suppose to be a elegant steakhouse, I've heard positive things about it.

Either way, there are too many complaints for me to pay 39.00 pp for Chops. Couple that with the price of the meal I am giving up in the MDR I already paid for and it's almost Ruth Chris prices for what sounds like a Western Sizzlin quality steak. No thanks.

I enjoyed Chops on Radiance in 2011 and thought it was worth the 25.00 pp. 39.00 pp not so much. I do plan on trying Giovanni's table in April.

For me, Chops falls somewhere between mass market steakhouses (Outback, Longhorn, etc), and our favorite steakhouse. The steaks are closer to, but better than the mass market steakhouses, but everything else about the menu is far better.

As for price, it's not even close to what I'd spend at a quality steakhouse for more or less the same meal. And if you want a nice wine with dinner (and I always do), at least you have the option to BYOB.

Granted, I've only had two meals at Chops, on Freedom and Enchantment. But to each his own as far as quality and pricing preferences are concerned.

We prefer Giovanni's Table over Chops

We agree. Chops is terrible, horrible on the Alure even with the upgrade to Prime. Could not eat the steak sent it back and never heard a word or received refund. Total waste of money. Trying Giovanni on the FOS in March

For me, Chops falls somewhere between mass market steakhouses (Outback, Longhorn, etc), and our favorite steakhouse. The steaks are closer to, but better than the mass market steakhouses, but everything else about the menu is far better.

As for price, it's not even close to what I'd spend at a quality steakhouse for more or less the same meal. And if you want a nice wine with dinner (and I always do), at least you have the option to BYOB.

Granted, I've only had two meals at Chops, on Freedom and Enchantment. But to each his own as far as quality and pricing preferences are concerned.

Spot on. The food quality (not necessarily taste) is more along the lines of Outback/Longhorn and the atmosphere is more along the lines of Ruths Chris.

On our last three cruises we ate at Chops and Portofino/Giovanni's. All of us felt the Italian meal was superior. We also felt the steak was better and cooked correctly.

Seems we always give them a second chance....but with this new up charge it may be a reason to just eat italian twice. With Izumi of course....

That mimics our experience on Allure in May. Izumi was surprisingly wonderful for the price, as was Giovannis (although I still prefer Portofino), and Chops was an utter disappointment. We thought it was a fluke, but we had the same experience on Enchantment a few weeks ago. It must just be the new normal for Chops.

Definitely do Giovanni's if you are going to do a specialty on Freedom! After our past couple experiences, I will always pick Giovanni's over Chops. Back when we started dining in Chops, it was a very nice experience for the price. Now, like they've done with the cruises themselves, the prices have slightly risen and the quality has dropped. :roll eyes:

The icing on the cake was the addition of the surcharge steak options on top of the upgrade surcharge you pay to dine in Chops. I mean seriously?!

We did not do Izumi until the last night of the cruise, if we had know it was so good we would have done it multiple times

We paid for ours months ago for our may cruise. Assume we won't have pay the difference?

Me too! I hope we don't have to pay the difference !

Nope, you are paid so you are good. Just don't cancel that reservation or it may cost you more.

We had booked a specialty restaurant on Vision this past summer for the first night. Not only did we get the "old" price since it had gone up since I had booked, but we got the 20% off as well since it was that first night.

I agree with the others here, $39 is just way too much for a meal at one of these restaurants. We don't do them often, sounds like it will be even less often in the future.

Maybe it's me, but what's all the hype with these pay for restaurants. I know it's none of my business what people do with their money, but we find the MDR food to be very good. This is just my opinion so no flaming please.

I have to agree with you on the MDR food, there are some folks on here who treat MDR food as though famished galley slaves would pass on it, but far as I'm concerned I'm more than content. Also, for the few times I've gone out on a limb and failed miserably, our waiter was all too happy to fetch me something that worked better.

We'll do Chops maybe once a trip for, as what others have put, ambience and atmosphere and will typically do it when the MDR offerings as a group fail to "wow" me (over the course of a week there's bound to be a day). Giovanni's is nice but that's just too doggone much food. The extra charge never fazed me even considering the $15 base for the MDR that's been mentioned because we've paid far more than that for meals of similar quality when dining out.

there are some folks on here who treat MDR food as though famished galley slaves would pass on it, but far as I'm concerned I'm more than content.

It's not the taste that's so bad, it's the quality. The quality of the meats are atrocious at this point.

We don't eat at places like Applebee's and at home, I sure as don't want to eat that quality food on vacation...!

39$ is not a too bad price for one fully paid restaurant visit plus another free visit plus 1 free bottle of wine!

How to get the offer? We had very bad, tough and not cooked to perfection steak at first paid visit and our complaints about the meat-yes the restaurant manager confirmed "a bad lot"- lead us to a free meal some days later with an additional free bottle of wine. (the bad lot was still served, but the wine was alright:.....) :D

Wow! Just checked on my cruise planner for December on the Anthem and it's at $50CDN. $200 for the four of us. Scratch this off the list.

I noticed this yesterday as well! I'm so glad I pre booked before the price jump

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app